Another Newbie

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Annie6246, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annie6246

Annie6246 Avatar

Hi, Everyone. Just recently started playing and I'm having a heck of a time trying to travel around. Kind of got the Novia figured out, but not much luck with the rift portal. Trying to get to the Blood River adventure, but it sends me everywhere but there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Try this to help you navigate: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to the game @Annie6246. I am Majoria in game if I can help. There are other ways to get around. Send me a friends request anytime and I'll answer any questions I can.

4. Annie6246

Annie6246 Avatar

Thank you, Jaesun, for the map. Any way I can get it to replace that little bitty map I have to work with in game...lol. Thank you, Majoria, I will definitely look both of you up when I'm playing the online game. I mostly play offline, because I enjoy RPG single player games, but I have characters on both. Unfortunately, I can't quite remember my online player's name. Will have to get back to you on that one, before I send a friend's request

Boris Mondragon, Time Lord and Jaesun like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can resize the in-game map.

Annie6246, Time Lord and Jaesun like this.
  6. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

If you are trying to get back to the original Blood River scene where you started, you aren’t able to do that once you leave. That scene turns into a different scene when you leave. The Blood River Scene is still there, but is modified as an after the battle has ended scene.

Blood River Outskirts would be the second scene you may have visited. That scene is remains unmodified.

Both scenes are found in the western part of Novia, near Aerie.

Using the rifts is tricky, they have fixed destinations. But only one destination at a time is available. It’s faster and easier to just run where you want to go. Or you can use a teleport scroll, especially the teleport to zone scroll. That scroll teleports you to any zone you have already visited. The other type of teleport sends you to a friend on you friends list. As a new player that one is harder to use because you it uses friends in your friends list and as a new player that list is usually very small. And your friend needs to be in the zone you want to travel to.

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Rift destinations shift with time. The pattern can be found by watching and recording those shifts. Or you can rely on a tool like: http://sotawiki.net/sota/Community:Lunar_Rift_Chronometer

Welcome to the SOTA community!

8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Welcome!! Same name in game, if you see me around and I can help.

9. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Annie6246
    The Lunar Riff is very confusing always has been since the Ultima 2. But once you learn the timing or what to watch for it becomes a fair means of transport. So to understand the timing on the Riffs the Chronometer is a great tool. It is constantly updated and tell you where each riff goes when you step in to it at any specific time. Another way is to go to any Riff and mouse over the it and it will currently tell you where it will take you. If you stand at any Riff for a hour it will cycle thru all possible destinations. When you see where you want to go just step into the Riff and poof!

A better way to travel the lands it to use the Teleport to Zone Scroll. As you travel around the lands you will gain travel points to any new area you visit. You can then use the Teleport to Zone Scroll to get there. You can also use the teleport to Friends that you have added to your friends list or you can use the Recall Scroll once you Bind your Avatar to either your home lot or by talking to a town crier to bind to that town. You can only Bind to 1 place though.

If you have more questions let us know. Many people are always willing to help. Have fun in these lands and my name here and there is Warrior B'Patrick.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Welcome @Annie6246 :)

:rolleyes: If I could ask a question (test of our advertising budget)
    "How did you first come to know about our game?" From where did you first hear about it?

We may be seeing each other along the trail, as I have just returned from a long time away from the game and I started a new character last week :D "So I do hope I bump into you"

Again "Welcome to SOTA!" :D
    :rolleyes:
    ~Time Lord~:)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  11. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia!

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

13. Annie6246

Annie6246 Avatar

Thank you, Everyone, for the warm welcome and all the great feedback. I'll have to go in and check on resizing that awful map. Time Lord, to answer your question, I actually played the game back in 2017, but it just did not catch my interest. So I played Dragon Age: Origin instead...great game. That's the game that got me hooked on RPG's. Anyway, I'm always keeping up on what's coming out and I saw where SOTA was revamping their game. Was starting to sound better and then they sent me an email offering some free goodies...I like free goodies...so I downloaded off Steam, logged in and poof, I'm back. Got to say, I like it better this time around, but the traveling part is still a headache Going to have to find me some of those transport scrolls Warrior B'Patrick is talking about. I will definitely have to look some or all of you up when I go on my online player, Kailen McGuire and see if any of you want to be my friend. I, also, play offline, because I do enjoy the single player mode. It's just like playing a regular RPG. Thanks again and Good Night.

14. Crescent Moryn

Crescent Moryn Avatar

15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thanks so much for the reply to my question @Annie6246 :)
    [​IMG] I do hope you keep commenting on what you see around here, lacking, brilliant, OK, dull or just for chronicle. We with hopes that earlier came here, yet now with new eyes can truly be a rare gift to our game's current development. I myself am just now back from a 6 months time away playing other games and find that some new eyes on old subjects or things encountered are well needed around here. For instance, the new player experience hasn't been that fresh of opinion around here because there's been fewer new people, which seems to have shifted development focus away from the beginning and even the middle to provide more for the top. That's a natural thing that happens, but worth pointing out.

My question to you was to point out the fact that even though the game raised almost $800,000.00 for advertising through a sale of Portalarium company stock, I have yet to have ever heard of the game outside of it's initial Kickstarter o_O and now as one that does own such stock in the company, I'm looking for where all the money went :D

The game is as you've said;
    :eek: "You're Right!", I think it's still normal, but only normal..

Wonderful to see you back again @Annie6246 and I'll be looking forward to our encounter :)
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord~

16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Welcome aboard @Annie6246. Greetings from the resident pirate. If ever near the city of Aerie you will see the largest pirate fleet in Novia in a player owned city called Dragomir Mori owned by our Pirate Queen, Lady @CatherineRose. Fair Winds and Following Seas to you. Boris Mondragon in game. R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

17. Annie6246

Annie6246 Avatar

@Time Lord , If I had half an idea about what I'm really suppose to be doing in this game, I could possibly be dangerous. As is, I'm always in a chaotic state. I feel like a chicken running around with my head chopped off. I did not invest in the Kickstarter, simply because I was not impressed with the game in the beginning. Don't think I even played it for more than a day or 2. There is no structure in this game, which I guess is what the devs were shooting for. I can get with that. Traveling, like I said is really confusing, because I have no idea where anything is and I'm use to, at least, having access to a World Map to get an idea as to which direction to go . Here it's just a hope and a prayer. Kudos to Warrior B'Patrick for the tip about the Transport scrolls. If I ever find him online, I'm going to give him a BIG HUG!!!! and KISS!!!! Wow, what a life saver. I think you misunderstood what I meant by it being a normal RPG game. There aren't any real RPG games on the market now as for how I enjoy playing. I don't care for FPS, having to be an assassin and you have to be who the devs set up to be the hero. I like choices. I will say that they really do need to work on the companion side of the offline game. A little more structure and strategical setting capabilities would be nice. The companions fight okay, but I find them hovering around me, like I'm wearing a pork chop necklace, and it;s hard to see my target. The AI's need some work. I would have thought with the technology of today it would work a lot better. As old as DA:O is, the player was able to set abilities for his/her companions to adhere to in a fight. On here, they just do what they want. Needs more structure. All in all, at least I've stayed longer this time. I will eventually return to the online game, but atm I'm using the offline game to get a feel of what I'm suppose to be doing...lol...that's not really working out, but I figure the more I know the less I'll mess up when actually playing with real people. I have found in other mmo's , that newbs are second rate players and shouldn't be even taking up game space. So far, I don't feel that here. All of you have been so nice and very helpful. Hope to you see you all in the online world soon.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can right click them and set the distance they should maintain.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Annie6246 . What is your in game name? Yes some structure is needed we have very little like an achievement system and task board which I think is needed. The mapping system is a bit of a mess and the devs know it. They say they are going to fix it. So this game is still newly released and more improvements are happening all the time.

20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’d recommend playing online. Mainly because many people are on and can help with questions and other things. I think you would have a better experience learning the game that way.

I would however just focus on finishing one of the Outskirts areas. Finish all the quests in there.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.