Need Help Boosting FPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluezone5, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

So with graphics maxed out I get basically an average of 38-40 FPS with constant dips into the 20s (and lower).
    If I set the graphics to as low as it can go, I only get about 44-47FPS with constant dips into the 20s and 30s.

I don't care if my graphics are amazing, but I would like to run this game smoothly. After about 34 hours its starting to really bother me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PC Specs:
    Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
    32GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x16GB)
    256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
    Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

Side Notes:
    1. All Drivers are up to date.
    2. The game is installed on my SSD.
    3. I'm using a 1920x1080 75hz monitor.
    4. I'm playing on the online Servers.

Internet Speed:
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/8198905153

Any tips or advice is welcomed. Again, thank you.

FrostII likes this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Is the behavior the same in every scene? I have lower specs than you, but only have poor performance in large cities where it's forced multiplayer (Brittany, Ardoris, etc). In most scenes with only a few people, it's acceptable. In SPO scenes, it's pretty good.

You might check offline to see if it's a graphics issue or is only when playing online.

3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Hmm, my specs pretty similar (i7-7700k, 1070, NVMe SSD, 16Gb RAM) and at 1920 x 1080 x 60hz I sit at 60 FPS most of the time, except in busy scenes like big cities etc where it drops to low40s on 'best'.

I have a second PC with an i5-8400 and a 1660Ti which yields virtually identical performance.

There's the occasional hitch - but those should reduce significantly when they bring in the new unity version and new build method in 2 releases time.

I'm running a pretty clean Windows 10 installation, no 3rd party AV software. Only thing I can think of is you have something running in the background affecting performance?

4. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

So the fps I listed in the graphics settings was more of an overall average of what I would get in all the scenes (Some do vary however). There are occasionally periods where I would get 55-62fps, but those were so brief I decided not to mention it in the above post. I haven't tried offline yet, but I'll try it now. I'm kind of hoping it runs the same, because I would much rather play the online version, but I'll give it a shot.

Scanphor - So I checked to see if there was anything running in the background that could cause issues. So far I've come up empty, I tend to keep a very clean setup. Tobi Eye tracking however was running as well as Norton, both disabled caused no change. I wouldn't have anything else. Could I possibly ask you for a picture of your in game settings? I'm not saying copying you will work, but I'd much prefer to have something to go off of.

Thanks again for the replies, I didn't see my notifications go off, I'll check back more often.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

I've not done any tweaking really - just selected 'best', 1920x1080, 60Hz - Shadows Max, Refelctions Medium. Everything else is ticked underneath except peripheral lighting and I expanded the default FoV slightly

6. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

There are no miracles here. Check where is the bottleneck.
    Then I'd check parked CPU cores and eventually disable them, check cpu throttle.
    Ingame be sure to disable Peripherical lightning (keyb and mice chroma apis).
    Having horrible performances (compared to the quality of the rig) as well with a 4670 @4.8ghz-5 and sli of 1080. Everything downvolted, OCed and at 60'C.
    4k 21:9 (monitor native) - fps vary from 10-200 depending on situation.

On the other side my old surface i5 - integrated intel 520. With a proper downvolt + customRes + disable boost for Temp + RivaTuned limited 30fps, i can play on that thing 1-30 fps.

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Check also if Forcing Vulkan with exe arguments actually help you or not compared to dx

8. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

I haven't found an FPS fix, but with all the graphics settings maxed out and reflections set to low, I've found that the game will at least run with less dips into the 10s-20s. Overall making the game a smoother experience. Also setting my camera sensitivity to a much lower value strangely helped. I know this doesn't really help, but at least I can play the game without feeling sick anymore. Also I forgot to mention I set my games priority to high.

CrandalltheFoole and Scanphor like this.
  9. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Yeah the devs have acknowledged that the game doesn't run well in 4k - something to do with doing processing on a per pixel basis (I think Chris said).

Gia2 likes this.
  10. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Glad you've improved things.

One thing that might be worth doing is run the PC test at https://www.userbenchmark.com/ - its a pretty simplistic test but can help identify when a PC is running below expectations in any specific area sometimes. I've found components needing attention using that before now.

11. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

I was never aware of that site, I'll try that out now. Thank you

12. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Ok - just did a test running around killing liches in the centre of Deep Ravenswood. (just to make sure nothing had changed this release or something)

Solid 59-60 FPS, even when running into the middle bit fully spawned and killing them all (OK, I saw 57 once).

Logged in my alt in the middle of Ardoris on screen #2 and repeated - frames about 45 average with no dips below 40.

So even running 2 clients on very similar hardware I'm getting better performance - someting's up for sure

13. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

So for the very first time, I have overclocked my CPU. Logged in to test a few scenes, game runs flawless locked at 75fps. So there goes all my performance problems!

14. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Nice :). Just keep a close eye on your CPU temps!

I had wondered if it was because your CPU was a mobile version and thus a little less capable than a full on desktop one - this would seem to confirm that.

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

They enabled il2cpp (re-compile the .NET byte code to native IA64) with the most recent update. Maybe that's the difference?

16. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

That could of had something to do with it, but I really think overclocking my CPU is what really helped. For example, I don't know if any of you guys ever played Arma 3, but before, I could run that game on high graphics with 35-50 FPS (Which is normal for that game). Now that my CPU has been overclocked, I maxed out my Arma 3 graphics to ultra, now I'm getting 140-200 FPS (Which is still completely blowing my mind). I'm like bench marking everything now, I'm just completely blown away by this.

17. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Wow - cool :)

There's clearly much more of a difference here than can be accounted for by an overclock which should at most get a 15-20% FPS boost.

I suspect your CPU was stuck in power save mode or something gimping its performance and whatever process you used to OC it got it back into 'max performance' mode instead.

In any event - enjoy seeing the performance your hardware is actually capable of !

18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

They have removed that in today’s patch. Just FYI.

• Turn off IL2CPP for Windows to see if it caused increased crash rates.

19. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

I went here 2 days ago in search for a similar problem.
    I guess most of the gamers here already know what I will explain, but I am not completely computer ignorant and yet I missed something that was obvious.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16334
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4043

Since a few weeks my game was more and more laggy, my character was more hopping forward than walking, things took ages to appear, etc. I admit I said to myself wtf are the dev doing with their unity stupid engine, but there was no bug report about this, so it should be my comp.
    First I checked with /debug what was wrong… strangely enough it told me that the fps was 30...50ish (changing) but that the GPU was inefficient. This left my flabbers completely gasted as I sure did not feel the fps being so high.
    Reading this post I tried the userbenchmark (TY @Scanphor ) and I found out that my comp was way below what it should be… especially the CPU. And as we all should know, if the CPU is slow, everything is slow too.
    BUT… my fans were noisy when I play SOTA. I admit that I've been accustomed to have those noisier than usual with large games, but this time I decided to have a look inside the beast… I should be ashamed ! (and I am). The CPU has a water cooling system but the heatsink behind the fan was almost completely blocked by dust. I cleaned all this mess but unfortunately it did not help much. Then I noticed that the two flexible pipes going from the heatsink toward the CPU and vice versa were at the same temperature. This was the sign that there was no coolant circulation and therefore almost no cooling whatsoever. Our CPU's are able to endure 100 degrees Celsius BUT NOT THE LITTLE PUMP in the cooling system.
    I changed the cooling system and voila, my gear works as new, the game is smooth and I've a solid 60 fps in "good" video setting at 1920 x 1080 @ 59 Hz.
    Sometimes the source of a problem is not where one looks. I wanted to share this not-very-glorious experience because it might help those encountering bad frame rates.

Be safe and dust-free,
    Jacques from Brussels.

20. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Usually, at 70 degrees celcius your computer will start restarting by itself. 100 Celcius is really, really high. I think its even bypassing bios protection of 80 max.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.