Global sales system - from Chris's stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Chris

If it's an Auction House, that's the end of half of the fun of Shroud. Running stores will be finished. Market towns will be finished. Even if there's a fee, that's it for the trade part of the game, all merchants might as well head back to Eve.

It will also be devastating to the housing system, as having a vendor is one of the big reasons to own a home.

If it's a global directory, no worries. But I would suggest focusing on the last 20% of existing systems first. There is a lot of trading that is NOT happening because the vendors don't support it. Partial stacks. Components in the buy order tree.

If an Auction House is made so you never improve vendors, well, you get what you pay for I guess. That will be a bland WoW style economy.

Lord Baldrith, Jaesun, Elwyn and 17 others like this.
  2. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Honestly, it's the only mechanic that kept most people playing. Might as well turn off the forum trades too then the game will be effectively shuttered.

With a global auction house, I'd say most items drop in price by half.

Lord Baldrith, Jaesun, Elwyn and 9 others like this.
  3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Agree 100% - a traditional 'global AH' system will kill a major part of what makes the world what it is.

Market towns have been developing for a long time (and continue to do so - just look at how much Crafter's Town has grown in the last few months) - people have invested a lot of time (and money) into setting up shops, getting the best locations etc. Personally I've now got 12 properties around Novia and all but 2 are only there because they are shops. Make shops useless and suddenly there will be a significant reduction in properties placed as there would be no reason to do so.

Can the current system be improved? - absolutely - is a global AH like so many other MMOs have the answer? - please don't do this!

For an example of a system that does work look at Eve online...

amarious, Jaesun, Elwyn and 6 others like this.
  4. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Would be cool having a list of everything with prices and where it is listed, but you would still walk to the city and look for the vendor. I agree having a global auction house is not something we need and can definitely ruin the localized economy of the game. There are much more important things to work on, instead to create a new tool better working on improving current vendor system, which is great but still need to be polished.
    Hope devs will listen to our feedback before to release something like an auction house.

amarious, Elwyn, K1000 and 2 others like this.
  5. Khal Drogo

Khal Drogo Avatar

More doom and gloom... Didnt you say the same thing about the global chat ? Why are there always people who think they know better ?
    So youre saying its more fun to spend hours looking for some crap and not finding it ..instead of playing the game ?

Vendor stall was a bad idea from the begining ( my point of view) ... i see more games implementing it crowfall, ashes of creation .... sure its nice when you have 50 -100 players doing the selling and buying ...

What if you have 10000 players or 100000 ? Can you imagine 100000 player vendor stalls in a game with no way to centralise them , no way to know whos selling what and where ?

How many vendors do you visit daily Vladamir ?
    5 - 10 ..none ? How many vendors do we have in sota ...few thousands ? A vendor job is to sell stuff ... port job should be to make that proccess easier .

Who decides who gets to sell his stuff and who doesnt ... You can sell your stuff cause youre in a good town that has traffic and a good location ...you cant sell your stuff because your town is at the edge of the world and none ever goes there... you can sell your stuff because your vendor is first row in a highly traffic town....you cant sell your stuff because your vendor is at the back of town and players already get tired of shopping ...and never get to visit your vendor...

This needs to be fixed... rather sooner then later i hope.

Whatever system they choose to implement it will probably be better then what we have today.

Cirsee, Xandra7, golruul and 9 others like this.
  6. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

The current inefficient market ("prices will drop by half with a global market") is loved by sellers in good locations and hated by everyone else. Those good locations can make reliable money (USD, not just IGG) while the rest of the sellers have to get lucky or sell offline. A global market or even a global listing of prices and locations would be a boon to buyers who I would guess are the bulk of the players in most games.

golruul, Bedawyn, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Time Lord likes this.
  8. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Didn't listen Atos stream but. No No No if I would have an ability to search items like I can do it in EVE it would be super cool.
    All those shity absurd prices/vendors which are focused to fraud noobs will be buried.
    Its definitely what we need. Real capitalism, real competition.

amarious, Time Lord, Astirian and 8 others like this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

No, I was for universal chat.

Jaesun and Khal Drogo like this.
  10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Auction house would be awesome!
    Maybe we could have special player vendors being auctioneers, connect all vendors to a global auction system.

If the item is on the local auctioneer, we could maybe have a cheaper price buying it.
    If you buy an item on the global auction house (remote auctioneer vendor), sent an email to give us instructions at what town we need to pickup the items we just bought.

And for the persons that are lazy to go and get that item, give us the option for more fee to sent us the item through email.

Time Lord, Amelli, Cyin and 2 others like this.
  11. CICI

CICI Avatar

We need a global sales system at the town level! by talking to the town crier so we search for what we need an still have to walk to that vendor :)

12. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

I'm definitely for a global directory for its value to the players as whole. However, I thought Chris was describing this:

Global Public Vendors

This system is largely used at only two locations in the game -- Owl's Head and Ardoris. There are some others in use from time to time, but the vast majority are unused and unusable.

Advantages:
    1) Not as threatening to vendor dedicated row marketplaces, etc.
    2) 10 item limit will keep quality better and will not obsolete existing vendors.
    3) Don't have to run all around the map, just find the closest public vendor.

Disadvantages:
    4) Limited only to GPV
    5) Listing Limit
    6) Listing Cost
    7) Losing Items if you don't claim them before they expire

Maybe I'm wrong? It just seemed like this is a natural growth step, like Global Banking.

Sincerely,

Engineer

Elwyn, Time Lord and Scanphor like this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Let me put this another way

Putting in a global auction house would be the equivalent of putting in a PvE botting system so that you could afk while your character adventures.

It would in effect remove a major portion of the game, and replace it with an AFK/clicker version.

Scanphor likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Global PV's. Hmmm... not going to be good for some people, I know there are those who list on multiple PV's, but for others it will be good.

Resolute is popular as well BTW, there's usually over 100 things on it at any given time.

15. CICI

CICI Avatar

well a lot of players don't have the time to look at 100s of vendors so doing it within the same town will Save a lot of time

Time Lord, Dhanas, Cyin and 2 others like this.
  16. Khal Drogo

Khal Drogo Avatar

And if i live in Mud whos gonna come talk to the town crier there ?

If you place Global Public vendors in any town ...prices for lots there are gonna skyrocket ... all the markets will want to move there... obviously there wont be enough room for everyone so i can imagine the outcry from POT owners or players who didnt get a spot there..because they cant afford it or they didnt play at the time.

It needs to be an easily accessible to everyone interface like the crown shop ..you click it, it opens the window you search what you need or select a category ( weapons/resources ...) ...once you find the item you can buy it and have it sent to your mail for a gold fee or you can use a teleport to vendor scroll to tp to that vendor and buy the stuff.... simple and efficient.

17. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Personally, I didn't hear anything about Vendor changes on a stream & skimmed past many posts here, that seemed to be in favor in KEEPING the Current Vendor System.
    So my PERSONAL oblivious & naive 2 cents worth of feedback (as a shopper) is...

Firstly, Shopping in Shroud is a Chore, an Annoyance/Frustration & often a Full Day Trip!
    Depending on how obscure an item is that I am looking for = this can often be a Deco item, crafted furniture = something quite mundane that no one is bothering to make. Or weapons, armor, etc
    I do have Guildies (& even Crafter RL Hubby ingame) to ask, but I really feel that mostly they all have better things they would prefer to do.
    P.S. I am also one of "those" players, that hates crafting = My Bad (I guess)
    1. Do I want an Auction House system = NO... Should Players have a means to have an Auction type system at their Shop? Why Not... Just do NOT make Auctions globally searchable. Only For Sale Items.
    2. I completely LOATHE searching for a specific item I want/need or desire = Often a Day Trip. This involves endlessly going from Vendor to Vendor, Town to Town = Click > wait for Vendor to load items & see if they have what I am after = take note of item & price & continue searching. (as I hate being overcharged-ripped off) Then "rinse & repeat" about 20 to 100>200 times (depending on how my patience/desire/need, is for said item that day) = DAY TRIP
    3. This generally means, I generally only go to the "Popular" Market Towns located close to Britanny. But what about those Vendors in POT's far away from Britanny? & even worse Nested POT's? They miss out on any buyers... Not everyone can have a Vendor in the "popular towns".
    4. Other games have ingame "search abilities" (even in 20 Year Old UO!) that allow searching for items with varying criteria inc: Item, Characteristics, Price, Weapon/Armor/Enchantment Specs, so you can search & head for XYZ to buy what you want. & from there, you may go browsing at other Vendors in that area, especially if that area is New to you.
    5. YES... I DO understand, that some Vendors often enjoy a "Monopoly" on the Market, due to the current "Day Trip" system of Vendor hopping to find what "I/Customers" require. Should the Vendor System in Shroud, continue to endorse a system, where the Buyer says... "I cant click on another Vendor & waste my day = Buy & I am done"? This means sellers often face virtually no competition, as they are well-known in a "convenient Market Town" They then reap the benefits & income & enjoy the power of "in some ways" controlling the Market, for those who don't want to make shopping a "Day Trip"? (due to the current Vendor system) NO, It needs to change!
    All of what I have stated come purely from the Shopper/Buyer perspective...
    Do You think I am wrong, from the Sellers perspective? Possibly...
    I am just stating that for Me & others, as a Buyer/Shopper, the System NEEDS to change in some way, because currently it is Hellish.

18. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

I suspect the system you're proposing could have a lot of unforeseen consequences, and potentially cause a lot of price fluctuation, including possibly increasing commodity prices overall for folks.

For example, it seems reasonable to expect that if it's as easy you propose to buy anything from anywhere, someone with sufficient funds (and I think there are plenty out there) could buy up every bit of a resource (eg wood, silver ore, etc) in all of New Britannia, and then then relist it at higher prices overall, effectively creating a significant monopoly. There would of course be additional resources that trickled in as players gathered them, but it would again be easy for a person (or guild) to just buy up every single listing as it came up, making it much harder for the little guy to find what they're looking for than it is now. It would probably be even easier to create a monopoly on rare drops with such a system.

As it as already, when I have run shops, resellers often buy me out of all of certain products periodically, and I have had to adjust (raise) prices accordingly to prevent wholesale purchasing.

Just food for thought.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  19. Khal Drogo

Khal Drogo Avatar

You mean like it happens today..few people buying up all the cotos ..reselling them for a higher price ..thus creating a monopoly ? Im sure it is happening today and it will probably happen with the system i proposed ...but today is much easier to create a monopoly on something ...when more people will stand on equal footing will be alot harder because buying up 2-3 people is douable ...buying out the whole player base ...well..will be quite a feat.

What determines who sells his stuff today ?

First is location location location --- it doesnt matter that your vendor has cheaper stuff or of better quality if the location of your vendor is not visited you will find it very hard to sell your stuff.

Once people will be able to search for goods globally ...location will no longer be a prime factor on who sells ...as it should be .

golruul, Bedawyn, Time Lord and 6 others like this.
  20. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British an interface to search the content / listing of all vendors in the world (with item prices and location) will be very very convenient... of course, the buyer will still have to go to the vendor to buy the item though...

it will also eliminate the need to place multiple vendors in market towns... you'll just need one vendor (or maybe two if you have many items) in one town... less vendors in the world means less time managing them and less owning lots too which means less paying taxes on lots...

very, very convenient for all...

FrostII, Spinok, Cyin and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.