Thinking of trying again, have questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MightyUnclean, May 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Hey guys,

I've been pretty critical of SotA. To be fair, though, I haven't given it a shot in over a year. I was thinking of giving it a try again, since I have nothing to lose. I do have a couple of questions concerning the game's current status and future. I realize some of the answers may be as much guessing and opinion at this point as they are factual.

1) Can you play through Episode 1 without encountering any major bugs?

2) How is Episode 2 coming along? Is there a release date set?

3) Will Episode 2 be as large in scope as Episode 1?

4) What are the chances that Episode 3, and beyond, will be made?

5) How are future episodes being funded?

6) Is Lord British still actively involved with the development of the game?

Thanks!

2. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

1. Yes, I was able to complete the entire EP1 quest chain without encountering any major bugs (note: this was after official launch when they gave a free quest reset)
    2. EP2 is being worked on, but there is no release date yet.
    3. In the past, it has been stated that EP2 should double the landmass, but we won't know for sure until more details are shared
    4. I think there is a good chance that EP3 and beyond will be made. The team resized in the past year to match on-going funding rate. They know how to keep the business sustainable, so unless something catastrophic happens, we'll see all 5 episodes.
    5. Just as with EP2, the future episodes are planned to be funded by a combination of COTO store purchases, rewards program subscriptions, bundles, and stretch goals.
    6. Yes, Richard is still very actively involved with the development of the game and he makes regular appearances on the livestreams.

Astirian, Jaesun and Apollo31 like this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

1 some times

2 they are about to start but we know some of what’s in it and wow. Treasure hunting with maps pet leveling weapon leveling for starters.

3 esp 2 lands will be much smaller than eps 1 But they are looking at them being less instanced. I’ll be interested in see how this is handled.

4 I think there will be eps 3-5 if they pull in new players. They gotta start spending money on advertising.

5 crowns and boats and houses I think.

6. Behind the scenes stuff and can be seen in game sometimes. I’d not consider him a player or a dev.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  4. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

OK, thanks guys. Brass Knuckles, there are still some major bugs in Ep. 1? Are they game breaking? I mean, will they keep you from completing the main story line?

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What specific bugs are present in finishing the Chapter 1 Quest? Could you list them for me @Brass Knuckles ? I’ve not encountered this at all.

Feeyo likes this.
  6. Apollo31

Apollo31 Avatar

I waited to complete Ep 1 till about 6 months ago. There is nothing game breaking at all, but could be a little less confusing, but its still very do able. Nothing in the game bug wise should stop you at all...At least my experience.

If you happen to run into anything, please let us all know.

Astirian likes this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The Chapter 1 Quest can be finished just fine. You now will get a FREE non-tradable POT Taxed Village Lot Deed for finishing that quest. You also can get a FREE non-tradeable taxed POT Row Lot Deed just for finishing 1 Outskirts area too.

majoria70 and Feeyo like this.
  8. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

I completed all of episode 1 like 2+ months ago. I encountered a few bugs then but I was easily able to go around them. Sometimes it wasnt exactly a bug - just description wasnt too helpful like having to take a specific boat to one place instead of the usual boat travelling there. There were lots bugs fixed in main and side quests and people can also advise you if you got difficulty somewhere. Welcome back to the game

By the way you get now a row lot land deed for finishing the outskirts and a village lot land deed for finishing the entire episode 1 for free which is very helpful for getting started playing with housing too.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Feeyo likes this.
  9. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Only your first question is relevant to playing the game today.

I started last summer at launch and had no problem then. There were no bugs then that prevented most people from completing the main quest, so I don't see why you'd imagine that some had manifested in the meantime.

Side quests are a different story, though, but those have been fixed.

If you're thinking of playing, now is the time to do it. There's never been a better time to play episode 1, and progress on episode 2 has been chugging along in the background.

Feeyo likes this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Most recent was the to many heaps bug, and the targeting bug, also ms isn’t critting but it’s been a week so maybe those are cleared up. My point is bugs are and have been something we have to deal with here

11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome back!

12. Vaslor

Vaslor Avatar

Welcome back! As someone who joined Sota after the release, my perspective has been that the game itself does not have any major bugs that prevent you from completing the main quest. Sure, there are bugs that need fixing and may be annoying or there is always the quality of life improvements they constantly work on, but the game client itself is quite solid and reliable. You'll find a lot to enjoy in the game now I imagine.

13. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

I do have a new, mid-range Alienware system with a 1070 and 16GB of RAM, so I guess I'm OK there. I don't have a SSD, though. How big a problem is that?

14. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

It's not a serious problem. It won't affect your FPS, but it might make loading into the game and between scenes a bit longer as the data is pulled from the HDD to the RAM.

15. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

OK, thanks. I guess I should invest in a 512GB or 1TB SSD, as cheap as they are now.

Scanphor and Astirian like this.
  16. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

No doubt that would be amazing. SSD life is better than HDD life. If you spend a lot of time on your computer, you need an SSD.

That said, I get by brilliantly with 256 GB SSD and 1TB HDD. Photos, films, documents, etc., don't benefit from SSD. But the OS, office, and games... life changing.

17. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Alienware put in one of these cheesy Optane HDDs and no SSD. They cheaped out.

18. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Welcome back to the fold...hope you enjoy the ride through Novia...If you need help be sure to sound off in chat...someone is always listening...Good luck and have fun...

19. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Thanks for the welcomes, guys.

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

All computer life is better with an SSD. It's like when we went from Cassette's to Cartridges. But not that dramatic. I'll never want to go back.

Astirian, rebbieforever and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.