Global sales system - from Chris's stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CICI

CICI Avatar

Gia2 and FrostII like this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British

I think the system is already in the game... it's very similar to the Locate Player Vendor Items... just expand it to everyone's Player Vendors, make it searchable, add prices and location to the results...

You can even add a Teleport to Vendor feature for 1 COTO or something and make money from it...

FrostII and Astirian like this.
  3. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Yeah, those places with all the traffic got all the traffic from just sitting on their asses and doing nothing. No, I worked for my traffic and every other success story. I made friends in-game and worked with them on mutually beneficial projects over years.

An auction house gives you no reason to travel or make relationships or own a property. It wrecks two major components of the game that have been the only thing working, so far. It cuts down on the learning curve, sure... but it disincentivizes entrepreneurs for lack of a better word.

We have a living space with people making an effort to hang a shingle and make their own way in this world. Some amazing achievements overall. I've been in awe of the people that had the wherewithal to make something special for other players. You take it away from them for a dialog box and a search bar?

Without property and deco, port has ZERO revenue stream. END OF GAME. They already have no gold sink and the market is in shambles. This doesn't fix anything just drives a nail in the coffin.

4. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Good ideas, Kab.

FrostII and Girlsname like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:D ~Global Sales System!~ :D Yes!
    [​IMG]
    :) ~We need auction houses!~ :)

Xandra7, Amelli, Khal Drogo and 4 others like this.
  6. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Ship it. :)

7. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I like global systems, but I don't think it would be right to add something like to SotA at this point. Property values have been based on vendor traffic to a large degree up to this point, so it would basically be pulling the rug out from under anyone that's invested in a good location.

Scanphor likes this.
  8. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Auction house style trading makes sense in a futuristic sandbox like EVE or at least a modern age one. A sandbox with SotA's medieval fantasy theme(even if it has some steampunk touches) doesnt really need one, especially since its a game that gives importance to player-to-player interactions and relations

Scanphor likes this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

reserved, sorry

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

It's All About Player Retention and Our Crafting Game-Play;
    :oops: Portalarium never promised any individual location driven economic dreams, they promised crafting players could make a living, not much of a living, but one that could afford the rent/tax. Current location driven economy wasn't one of those promises.

[​IMG]

For example, there were many things and POTs purchased on pure actual $ back speculation, which tuned into pure charity contributions to other players. I don't see location purchasing for commerce any different than when POTs were bought or invested in, when there was speculation of commerce or eco-crop zones.

Your friends or customers could still help you because you're personally close friends or just conveniently close on a main street o_O...
    I took a walk around my home POT of Wizards Rest today and purchased a bunch of stuff "just because they were vendors of my community". (Most of the vendors were sitting down on the ground behind fences).

I have in the past purchased things from the main street vendors of different places, but have resorted back to my ways of purchasing NPC manufactured goods, or things that I purchased through the COTO Add-On Store. The reason I made that change, was due to wishing to help lesser "non-actual-monetary-players". I want to purchase my stuff from normal Joe SOTA who's working his way up the ranks of his craft, which is something I find difficult to find without spending all my fun time stuck shopping endless empty or item lacking vendors of those crafting players who gave up their crafting playtime dreams and possibly just left the game due to not being able to fulfill those dreams. I remember many crafting players who simply left the game due to lack of crafting demand or lack of good location to sell their things from.

Actual $ business wishes within a game are the nasty side of many games, which limits other's means to have fun.

I'm certainly not King of the World and my opinion means little or just as much as others do, but I've heard new players talk about this issue 1000's of times about their crafting broken dreams. I can't ignore that, because we need better player retention as well as having a need to make crafting something Lord British intended to have as a play-style available to all players and not just the lucky few.

Portalarium never promised any individual location driven economic dreams.
    They promised game for every player in every play-style.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Xandra7, Astirian, yinki2 and 2 others like this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Fully agree.

12. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I can understand both sides of this argument and have voiced in the past on the side of making player location matter less due mainly to the fact new players will always be at a disadvantage.

There is a simple answer to keep all happy, which still encourages players to be located in prime spots for better footfall while also encouraging exploration for vendors off the beaten track giving all players an opportunity to sell their wares.
    RUNE BOOKS !

Lord Baldrith, majoria70 and Gorthyn like this.
  13. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

@Chris Monitor prices globally, buy locally.

1) If we agree that SOTA has tiny population and we need new players then, we need the instrument to monitor prices globally. Its just a fact. Almost every new member in my guild told me that there is a lack of such a system. And I agree with them.
    2) If we agree that 300 online is ok and focused on tiny group of selfish players then yes - we dont need such system.

P.S. Make a money sink from this system, make any vendor in any pot/npc city can be able to connect to this system for 10% commission.
    P.S.S. Once again part of community shocks me, what's wrong with you? I understand that you don't want price competition, you want to continue to sell goods on unbelievable prices and manipulate the market. But why you cant understand the easy point - if things will keep going as they do now, there would be 100 guys ingame who would only sell not buy :D
    P.S.S.S. For now 95% of game and devs activities should be focused on: a) lure new players into game 2) make them happy. Monitor prices globally would make new players happy, at least happier then they are now...

Gorthyn, Astirian, Bedawyn and 3 others like this.
  14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I never said that Port would be breaking a promise by having a universal marketplace. I just think that you have be careful about doing things that will drastically alter the value of things that already exist in the game.

There was much debate about the vendor system long before the game ever went persistent, and this is what was chosen and has been in place for years now. Peoples' land rush decisions were greatly influenced by the local vendor system, as have been all trades and purchases of property since. A lot of people have also invested great amounts of time, energy, and resources into building the profile of their vendors and/or towns. If you put something in place that instantly upends all of that, a lot of people who have supported the game are going to be alienated, and rightfully so imo.

I'm not against making some changes to make shopping more convenient, but it has to be done thoughtfully. It's really easy to be generous with other peoples' stuff, but do that too many times and people lose trust in the advertised value of anything. That's already started to happen in this game.

majoria70 likes this.
  15. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

so lets do same entropia universe, people who want sell on their vendor pay no tax , people who want sell at auction house pay a small fee. everyone s happy.

items on vendor wont be listed on ah

Antrax Artek likes this.
  16. oplek

oplek Avatar

I agree. There's a reason some people choose to sell their cars/houses themselves, instead of hiring a broker.

Eve does have sort of an equivalent to auction houses, and it has a stellar economy. But, it also has,
    1. Regional economies (at least in the sense that it becomes impractical to move stuff long distances). Sometimes, people will buy higher-priced items locally, because it'd take too long to go get it cheaper elsewhere.
    2. Stuff can be lost, and hence need to be replaced. (And I don't necessarily mean full loot PVP. When you die, half your stuff is simply destroyed, on average)
    3. Things can be made more cheaply, in more dangerous areas.
    So maybe if some of these prerequisites are met...

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think the reason they abandoned that here is because faster travel was badly wanted by most players, and the playerbase in general would have to be large enough to overflow into outlying regions.

Also the idea of having one resource be available on one side of the world and not on the other was not liked well with the slower travel time.

Noone would have liked it in eve if they had to search every individual station for market orders either, but they compromised by allowing a limited search of all orders up to only the current region

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: I don't think a few NPC auctioneers in a few major NPC citys would do much harm to Main Street shopping locations;
    *Not arguing, just stating fact; This is what "has thus far existed". A location driven system was never promised and never chosen at all, much less as any end all be all.
    This was on pure speculation on their part. Many things that were purchased or "sought after on pure speculation and assumption" has lost value based on outcome. Vendor location is just one of many and is not mutually exclusive in any loss due to player speculation.

These above are not opinions, they are only facts of what has been. Any assumptions that Portalarium is bound by any promises or transactions between players in this regard are false assumptions.
    No one knows anything until Portalarium makes changes, but it is their free right to do so in the interests of the game, it's greater community and prosperity of the game.

No doubt it will be a hot topic next week, yet the idea of public auction houses, markets or vendors has been around since 2014 that I know of and has never been said one way or the other by Portalarium.

Property value in real dollars seems at issue here more than anything else. Does anyone think I could get an increased amount of real dollars for my $7000-9,000.00 investment in our game? If so, :) Let me know :D as I have vested interests in 4 different POTs in 4 different speculated economic zones... if that's ever a thing o_O as well as all assets which came with my pledges plus extras.... :p "It was all made on speculation and not on any Portalarium promises" :confused:

I see nothing wrong with a few public auction vendors at a few major NPC city locations.
    I want one in OwlsHead :D as it would make my player shopping so much easier and help regulate main street advantageous pricing. Main Street of anywhere will always benefit from their location even with such NPC auctioneers.
    ~Time Lord~:)

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Gorthyn, Astirian and yinki2 like this.
  19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I would much rather have the ability for people to buy partial stacks.

I think I could go for this, it's sort of the same idea as global banks.

And there's quite a bit of action on the Resolute PV too. Aerie had some for a while then died. And there are dozens of smaller NPC towns that have never had any life in their public vendors. Even Central Brittany is as good as dead now.

Yeah, I think I could go for GPV, especially with the current low population level. With enough population it could become per expansion area. And it's already got what I consider to be absurd listing fees. Might as well make what you get from the fees be worth it.

I thought the point was to put them in EVERY town by converting existing public vendors to global. Are there public vendors outside of NPC towns? I don't even know if PRTs have them.

I think I would also be okay if the regular vendors you can buy from an NPC (not the commission-free vendors) could have an option to become part of the global "network".
    That sounds sort of like it. You can have a vendor on your lot be either a local vendor, or a global vendor. But if it's global, there's that 10% fee, which I thought was too much for the current system, but would be about right for a global system. The 1-week expire needs to stay, but please please please have it return items to your bank if they don't sell. I always thought the "here's your lame NPC price / 1g for the reward item that didn't sell, have a nice day!" was simply stupid. It just penalizes people who can't be there at the right moment to pull it off themselves.

The only kink I can see is... isn't there an item that nullifies your fees on one vendor for a whole month? I've heard it works on public vendors, and that some of the regular sellers on Owls Head were using it. I guess it would end up removing the fee for items listed through one specific vendor. Sigh, yet another silly promise made to backers before understanding how the world was going to work. At least there are a limited number of those.

Since 1 coto now is effectively one penny, that seems a bit too cheap to me.

But we basically already have that now thanks to Teleport-to-Zone scrolls.

Datendrache likes this.
  20. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

If location doesn't matter why would a lot at the entrance to Owlshead sell for $1000 USD? Are you referring to the effort to keeping your vendor stocked? Of course nothing will sell if you don't have things listed. Are you referring to advertising your location every chance possible? Some don't like ads and consider it spam to constantly remind people to come visit your shop.

Then we have those that don't sell enough to constantly be updating their vendor. Is the marketplace only open those those that play constantly with the sole goal of being a merchant?

So selling things on your vendor is the sole reason to own property? Port has sold a lot of decorations to people to spruce up their shops then.

Amelli and Astirian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.