Please give town owners the ability to choose if they want monsters

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Dysis, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

When I first started playing, my first home was a row in a pot. Then as I grew, I realized I loved NPC towns, and wondered why... I think it is the quests, living near them, makes me feel like I am really a part of the world. I can only think of one thing that would be more fun: laying by the water, someone approaches, its a headless, and he does not want to borrow your sunscreen!

Please give player owned town owners the ability to add roaming/attacking monsters to their pot. Maybe be able to set the skull level, or begin a raid on their own town.

love sota!

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This could easily be an expansion of the dungeon system. Have a deco, like a ruins, den, or even just a empty parcel of ground. Place a "totem" on that to initiate the spawned creature. When someone approaches, the creature spawns and can roam around the area of the spawning deco.

(It would be nice for POT owners to be able to "buy" additional points for placing decos, especially if we get such a system, just like dungeons can.)

3. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

@Evenstar totally agree. Even just roaming rabbits, deer, or wolves would do a lot to enhance the sense of a POT being a real place.

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Glade: A 25x25m grass space (tree remover type) that spawns rabbits and deer. Tier 0 (no xp or materials). Future totems could add higher tiers with rewards (obsidian deer and vorpal bunnies?).

Roadway: Roadway pavers that spawns dogs and cats. T-0.

Ancient Ruins: 25x30m crumbling stonework deco. No spawn by default, but future totems can spawn spiders and/or skeletons.

Elven Camp: 15x15m tent and firepit. No spawn by default, but totem can spawn elf fighters, archers, and mages. Higher totems could do sharpshooters and the like.

We already have all of these in other scenes, just need to turn them into assets and hook up the spawners. Bonus points if they are crafted.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes please, I want cats wandering my town!

Cyin, Jaesun and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

This already may be a Jira as Starr has spoke about it off and on. Just a time table has never been set.

Flora and fauna in POTs has always been something I have been waiting for since 2014

7. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Yep, this is already in the system from way back. During my last conversation with Richard on this he outlined that the number of creature spawns would be in ratio to the number of available land. (IE: if the pot has little or no player lots claimed, then there would be more wildlife, and if all the lots were claimed, there would be none (or extremely minimal).

At this point, I would estimate Episode 2 for this based on everything. :)

Jaesun, Bedawyn and Stryker Sparhawk like this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Can we have working maps for our towns first?

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes having roaming creatures would make towns look much more alive even dogs, cat's squirrels, farm animals. Plus ability to see names and animations for all of these. Perhaps a mountain lion comes in town from the nearby forest or a snake which of course per Chris prefers flat ground. Perhaps the snake goes into the ground in a burrow when the ground is not flat ;) I loved in Wow how the NPCs might scream when they saw something like when first the game introduced the Worgens to the game. The NPC's screamed when you came to town. I love NPC reactions to things like reacting to a mouse *eek*, or a song played *taps toe to the tune*, *plugs nose* if you are smelly, looks worried *if you are injured or ill* etc.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  10. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

No promises, but I am talking to Richard and will be talking to Chris later this week on the maps. If you are a POT owner, you should already have the ability to edit the POT map and add labels, NPC locations, as well as NPC buildings. (If this isn't working, please PM me - maybe we can walk through it).

I am hoping to work with Port to start cleaning up the NPC town maps, getting back into what I was doing with Jacob White when it was still Sotamap

Cianna, majoria70, Nick and 2 others like this.
  11. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

honestly all i need it for it to be rotated but this is great news! also, i just posted a huge thread on maps in general :)

Cordelayne and Ravalox like this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

It mainly works for legacy POTs while it is broken for newer/remade ones, which is the majority.

13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I would like to add these suggestions:

1. More NPC slots and every PoT-owner is getting an additional set of NPCs that can be placed in the PoT. This set contains animals, monsters, kobolds, elves, trolls, ...

2. For each of these NPC you could define if they should attack avatars or not. Maybe even some more complex behavior-selections could be possible e.g. just attack avatars with a positiv truth virtue, just avatars above lvl 100, just male avatars,...

3. All available NPC should be usable as PoT-NPCs.
    If we have a deco pet -> usable as PoT-NPC.
    If we have a Pledge-NPC -> usable as PoT-NPC.
    If we have a Vendor -> usable as PoT-NPC (maybe as some kind of public vendor like they can be found in NPC-Towns)

4. As additon to point 3 I would suggest a crafting mechanic to make out of a tamed animal a non combat deco animal.

5. Currently the PoT-NPCs just prowl around but I would suggest creating additional mechanics to define pathways and working times.
    E.g. PoT-Owners get invisible markers with fixed numbers of 01-99 that can be place everywhere in a PoT maybe even on someones lot...but maybe the lot owner has to agree by marking a check box in the lot survey or the lot owner can define a rulesets what kind of NPCs are allowed on his lot e.g. just your own, NPCs of guests,..., every NPC is allowed.
    Right clicking on an NPC you get the option to set a schedule and if you do not use the schedule the NPC would simply do what they are doing now. First column is defining the npc-marker, the second at what time the NPC should start walking to the marker, the third column would define walking speed to the choosen marker and the fourth column the usage of the marker once reached.

E.g. a guards schedule could look like that:
    NPC-Marker01 (a Gate) – 08:00 – walk (= speed 1) – work (= standing still at this position barking at passing avatars to be carefull)
    NPC-Marker02 (a Tavern) – 16:00 – running (= speed 3) – spare time (= prowling around this position, using items and maybe even changing clothes would be an option)
    NPC-Marker03 (a house) – 22:00 – stroll (= speed 0.5) – resting (= searching nearest bed-like item around this position and going to sleep)

While a cat could have this schedule:
    NPC-Marker06 (someones front yard) – 01:00 – running – spare time
    NPC-Marker06 (someones front yard) – 02:30 – stroll– work (e.g. staying still and once in awhile using a mouse hunting emote)
    NPC-Marker07 (someones front yard) – 03:00 – running– spare time
    NPC-Marker07 (someones front yard) – 03:30 – walk – work
    NPC-Marker07 (someones front yard) – 04:00 – stroll – spare time
    NPC-Marker08 (someones front yard) – 05:00 – running – spare time
    NPC-Marker02 (same Tavern as the guard) – 08:00 – stroll – resting
    NPC-Marker01 (same Gate as the guard) – 18:00 – walk – spare time
    NPC-Marker04 (someones front yard) – 21:00 – running – spare time
    NPC-Marker05 (someones front yard) – 23:00 – walk – work

Just like with the lot markers the PoT-owner would be just the one setting them up but everyone else in the town could maybe use the NPC-markers too for their NPCs. This way your lot-NPCs could also visite a public tavern and populate the PoT.
    Also with such a shedule you could set up attacks of plundering bandits roaming the village or set up a pack of hungry wolves who are circulate the settlement or...

Bedawyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.