Weapon Speeds and Bonus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EtherBunny, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I have a general question regarding weapons. Before I even get started, I know all to well this is pre-alpha and things are still being implemented. I just really want to know if anyone has heard about any updates regarding changes that may (hopefully) be made to weapons; the actual weapons and not the skills related to them. As an example, a dagger swings at the same speed as a sword. I want to know if they plan on adjusting this to say, have the dagger swing faster and keep the lowered damage. Also, I saw that the dagger at least had a higher crit chance compared to the other weapons, but that's about it. Currently though, with the way things are, there is pretty much no real reason for someone to use anything except long swords and other weapons of that size for their skill choice.

As far as the bonus goes, will daggers and all of the weapons still rely on a STR bonus? I hate to say it, but in most cases when a stat bonus is applied to a weapon in other games, the smaller/faster weapons (i.e. daggers) get a bonus from DEX, where say a mace or some other weapon of a larger build would rely on STR.

While I'm thinking about weapons and such for SotA, how is it looking for wands/staves? The Google is not user friendly when it comes to trying to find specifics regarding these tidbits of information. I know I saw older (over a year ago) posts regarding getting wands/staves for the magical peoples to use so they aren't forced into the sword/hammer/spear/bow categories. So for this, really any information outside of "yes they have it" or "I heard it's coming" would be great.

Thanks to anyone in advance that can shed some light on this for me.

Time Lord and 4EverLost like this.
  2. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Currently though, with the way things are, there is pretty much no real reason for someone to use anything except long swords and other weapons of that size for their skill choice.
    Excellent point .. and there should be a reason... I was in the forest the other day and I was swinging my polearm at a spiders head and there was a tree in the way and it did not effect the hit whats so ever.. this should have actually stopped my polearm and should have forced me to move away from the tree..

There should be pros and cons to every base weapon, daggers should be faster and cannot be ducked and are better in close quarters.. polearms/long swords should be harder hitting but are clumsy in close quarters and cannot be used in tunnels or very small rooms or areas which have many obstacles..

Of course they are still working on things but its good to bring this up and I hope they will ad this in or improve on it for the future..

Another things is that all the base weapons should be equals in its proper environments. meaning there should be no real advantage to one or the other but rather a different experience and each having its purpose depending on its environment/area being use in.

Like in open areas with little obstacles I would use a a long sword or polearm and in a forest or tunnels perhaps a short sword or dagger would be best. places with lots of cliffs or caverns would best be suited for archers or mages.

There should be some areas IMHO that really need a certain kind of weapon to be used and that it would be either impossible or very difficult without it.. especially are level 4-5 areas. At Level 4-5 areas things should be a lot more demanding and should either require the use of multiple weapons or need more than one user ( at least another user with a different weapon ) to be able to defeat or go through the area.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

When will we get weapon's speed?
    [​IMG]
    Who cares, it's just physics!
    ~
    TL~o_O

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Time Lord likes this.