Daily Patches

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Calan Caitin, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

Here is a novel idea... instead of making us download a 2.3 Gb patch everyday, why not fix a bunch of stuff and publish 1 patch? While we are at it, why not actually fix stuff that is broken in the game instead of worrying about making the Phoenix slightly more difficult or polishing what Arabella says? It's still raining inside my house, animal skin rugs still can't be hung on the walls, birdbaths are still broken... And I'm sure that is just the tip of the iceberg of what needs to be fixed.

Arcanoxer and Elnoth like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the last patch was 84 mb. stop using steam.

3. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

I wish Steam didn't do that. It gives a false impression.

Also, there's been a pretty serious bug they've been trying to fix that has made life miserable for everyone who participates in combat. Hoping this fixes the last issues.

Astirian likes this.
  4. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Yes all your problems is due to how steam patches. I patched within 1 min.

5. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Sounds like... Someone needs to let off a little steam...

[​IMG]

6. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

We are more than half way through to R66 since R65 and the daily patches seems to be a complaint that pops up more and more in recent times.

My guess is that they lack discipline without being centralised in an office.

If it was critical issues I could understand an out of cycle patch, but it is small fluff issues that could easily wait until next release, I mean look at this latest patch:

Build Number 973

Updates
    • Fixed some issues with toggling cursor mode due to loot and chat window interactions.
    • Change nameplate text color for corpses to grey so they are easier to differentiate.
    • Isle of Storms: Trimmed length of some responses and journal text of Arabella.

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The Toggling cursor has been something I've seen a few complaints about though, so I mean if they bundled in some fluff with an issue that annoyed a good part of the playerbase, then everything is fine there.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm sorry some suffer from issues getting patches but I still want any patches to go in as soon as possible. I'm very appreciative for the game getting tons of little fixes and additions as it can. Devs working from home allows for this ATM. There is so much that can be addressed. I really don't want to stifle any of it. I don't play through steam and of course I won't play through steam so my downloads are very quick. As is my internet connection. When I started there was no steam option. That came a couple of years later. So daily patches, hourly patches, whatever, bring them on. There is much to do.

9. tyorl999

tyorl999 Avatar

first to say, it does not care me about daylie patches. I am NOT a steamer and I have a fast I-Net-connection and I dont patch ASAP when I see that the changes whose come with the patch are as important for my play as I need them.

BUT there are the problems when you wanna make a rait or a guild event.

Some guildies are online since 2 hours, then you wanna raid, new guildies come online which have patched a few minutes ago and you need to relog to group and THEN you use STEAM.
    So you wann group, but have immediatly patch 2 GB to play with you own guildies.

That really sucks.

So, @Chris , @Sannio and other devs: pls announce your patch one hour or so before you patch, so that the players have enough time to decide if thea wanna group that day or just soloing the next hours

Time Lord likes this.
  10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I know itz beeen brought up before, but whats the reasoning on why steam updates that way for SoTa? It was literally my only game that does it that way, and i have literally hundreds of games on steam.

11. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Complains about bug fixes really? ...
    This community has a lot of complaining to do so it seems..

12. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Its weird to see someone complain because the game is being fixed. The problem is just steam - as it is in many mmo I tried. Generally speaking unless a mmo is exclusively to steam(like Project Gorgon) I will play out of steam wherever I got the option. Usually steam not only increases the patch size but also the memory usage or even gives some unusual crashes(friends had that prob playing EVE Online for example through it).

13. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all. You can thank Chris for the daily patches. I really mean thank him though. During his Daily livestreams he is actively playing the game and people are texting him problems. He then goes right out and checks the issue and creates a patch while still playing. These patches are small and on my 8mbs line it only takes a couple of minutes to do them. To me patches have always meant that something was being fixed so they were always welcome in my view. Except in my early days of supporting Windows and Patch Tuesday followed by "OMG quit calling me and let me fix it!"

Mac2, Jaesun, Dhanas and 10 others like this.
  14. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

My only issue with it is it seems to reset all my carefully positioned UI windows. UI administration for daaays.

15. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

No problem here with daily patches.

16. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

IMO the daily patches are problematic because it means they are constantly making changes to the live enviroment without adequately testing them first. This results in things like it snowing in every zone in the game all weekend. (Not a good look right after you made an email push to try to get people to come back and take another look at the game.)

The steam frustration is also a real concern. How many of those people that they emailed use steam? If they came back to look at the gane again and are faced with long downloads every day they arent going to stay...

Time Lord, Alley Oop and Bedawyn like this.
  17. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Have no issue with daily patches at all.

18. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

IF they were bug fixes all good. NONE of what I have seen is critical bug fixes. I don't have the best ISP being out in the country, which I know isn't the devs or anyone elses fault, but daily patches have pretty much eliminated me playing each day. All of the patches from the last week could have been grouped into a single patch and been done.

19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

perhaps you'd be better off doing what i do and getting them seperately? they are available for download often LONG before the actual patcher can see them, and if you're using a third party torrent client you can play while the new file downloads. more

20. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Seriously

I just played on Friday and I got another 2 or 3 patches

They release a content patch every month... Great!

Then it takes a bunch of patches to get that right...........

Now its patch all over the place... Wtf

Onyx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.