Trolly / needy / complainy players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

@Amelli I mean they see these big packs right on the main site and it scares them off. Lots of people check monetization before even trying a game they got suggested and once they check the store and see that they go away and telling them that Port is generous and does give a lot of freebies doesnt help it out enough to convince them give it a chance.

My example is that I just dont spend a lot and still got a lot of things through playing + freebies so they can play without whaling which they usually will ignore because their eyes are set on those packs big prices with awe

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

To be fair, if you did that, you would probably drive up the spot price of cotos even more than it already is. I still feel that at some point it will come back into balance, but that probably won't happen until the player base grows by 10x. And some more tightening up on the IGG supply / sinks to rein in its inflation would help too.

I think there should also be some words about:
    - No bound items. Very few "pimp" items are character bound, even the premium currency. It's mostly just a few specific freebie items, like the lot deeds from quests, and the potion rewards from that exercise thing. Most games with f2p bind cosmetics/deco and currency: once you have something, no trading/selling/gifting it to another player.
    - One world. SotA should have no problem supporting a much larger player base (100x, 1000x, more?) on its one world. You will never be on the "wrong server". Your buddies are always just a party invite away, even the ones you haven't met yet.

I've been playing some LOTRO lately, and getting quite a few bound deco and clothing drops. I would never use most of that, but would happily give them away to someone who would, rather than dump them or have them pork my slot-based inventory limits.

That's probably the big reason why bundles are gone now. Just the pseudo-subscription that gives you some stuff for your money, but nothing major, and few specific things. (you can get whatever you want with the cotos, including save them up for a big thing) And no heavy choice decisions with only 1-2 things you want, just a single choice, with a decent coto exchange rate to get what you want.

Astirian likes this.
  3. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

If the free items aren’t bound and can be traded, no matter how honourable your intentions, others will create free accounts to abuse that system, horde those items and then bend the rules to sell them by conning other new players with no experience.

There should be no need to trade them anyway.
    Everyone should get them when they start.
    If they don’t need them (because they are an existing or returning player) then they can be deleted or as they are account wide saved for another new character on that same account. Or in regards to potions, they can have an expiry so they cannot be stockpiled.

The whole point is that they are low value and unimportant low level items, but give a tiny boost to new players at the start of the game.
    It’s about enticing them new players in, not about existing players trading/‘gifting’.

New players should be able to find their way in the world without hand outs from other players. The game should provide everything they need. Anything else is a bonus that the player can decide themselves if they wish to get involved in.

Astirian and Cordelayne like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Sure, there are a some items that are freely available from quests that people would grind new accounts for. And that is why there are some items in SotA that are account bound, particularly the lot deeds from quests. I have no problem with that, it's a proper use of binding items. That's why I listed them as the few exceptions.

What I am referring to is buying items from the game store with real money and they are permanently bound to your character. Some also bind gear the first time you equip it. There are many games that do that. SotA is on the far opposite end of the spectrum, and that is what is notable. There is almost nothing that is restricted from trading to other players.

How do cosmetic and deco items give any boost to new players? What kind of items are you talking about?

Huh? How does that relate to what I was talking about? It was specifically cosmetic/furniture items that I was referring to, and I don't see how they can be "hand outs". You're going to have to give me a clue here what you're arguing about.

Mishikal likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Most new players I meet or newly returned players who didn't play all that much do not even know about the free deeds or where to begin. What happens to returning players who do no even know about the free things? Perhaps they came in free-to-play at one time and re-visited the game again for example and they still don't know the basics of where to begin. We need to do a better job of describing what's going on so players are not missing out. Maybe a tip for returning players or any player.

My hope is that when we re-vamp the journal system it will include a few tabs and one could be 'things to do and achieve'. Something that lists how to obtain housing, how to place a lot, how to travel in the game, etc. Lots of how to's and lists of things to do. I am truly as always hoping for an achievement system and task board. Many of us can make up our own things to do after being here a while but new players need things to do and directions, well some who are not new who don't want to make up their own things to do.;) @DarkStarr, @Lord British

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Rather than simply dropping it on a journal with no explanation, there should be an NPC in each outskirts area that will mention it in conversation, then that would cause it to go into the journal as a task.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well if you know that some players don't want to read anything until they are ready to it would have to be thought out. We can't assume all players will do that. Some are not here for the story. Quite a few players I meet just skipped through the outskirts and do not want to quest at all. Lost and confused is not a good thing and we have many play styles coming into the game. How to balance that out so it is fun and interesting and not frustrating to those who don't want to play that way. Besides I didn't say it was just a journal in my idea. It is more than a journal but imo.

edited and not trying to be snarky just bringing up my thoughts on this.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Time Lord, Jaesun and Mishikal like this.
  8. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Yes some games, for those who skip story, got like a flashing exclamation mark button to the left or right or screen and if they click them it gives some sort details.

@majoria70 your 3rd pic is DDO? curious

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hmmm well I just try to find examples in google images for us. It is not always from games I have played. let me check. Sorry I don't know for sure. I couldn't seem to pull it back up to read which game it was from. ;)

10. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Its ok, just the icons looked quite familiar, lol.

majoria70 likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

*True Confessions* @majoria70 , *Nystal TimeLord, "Deliver Gawain's Amulet" o_O...
    [​IMG]
    "You are so right" :D~Time Lord~ in his natural state *confusion :p

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Xandra7, Cordelayne and majoria70 like this.
  12. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

The second and fourth are from Neverwinter and Warhammer respectively and fantastic looking quest journals imho.

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Sadly, most of us who care about the story and lore are either gone or play minimally nowadays.

Can't speak for others, but I sure would love an update on where things stand with episode 2 and the purported quest/story overhaul. I don't have time to watch Twitch streams, so if it was mentioned there I apologize.

Regardless, I'm just glad to see my dear friend @Time Lord again! :p

smack, Amelli, Astirian and 3 others like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    You as well my grand friend @Cordelayne :)!
    ~Time Lord~:D

Astirian, Elwyn and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s one new character that is hinting about something going on that’s probably Chapter 2 related. You can speak to Sigrunn for more information. :D

That’s about all we know for now (story wise).

smack, Astirian and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.