4.6GB Update 5/13?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluezone5, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

Hey guys, just downloaded a massive 4.6gb update on my steam client for SOTA. Any idea as to what this is? I didn't see any updates for today. However, very excited to learn what it's got to offer!

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

3. bluezone5

bluezone5 Avatar

Thank you, don't know how I missed that. Maybe I should switch to the the website version. Do you know if I need to repurchase the game for that?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  4. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

I switched from steam to standalone too because the patching takes too long.

You may get the standalone installer for free when you login the SOTA website. Click "Account" and then click "Game Client / Steam". However, you may need to setup your game account password on the account page as standalone client does not allow steam login.

rebbieforever likes this.
  5. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

No need to repurchase or anything - I can't recall exactly what I did to get the Portalarium account details but I liberated the account I bought in Steam a long time ago (and saved a heap of bandwidth lol)

6. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Once you get past the login, they are running the same code, using the same graphics, vfx, etc. The standalone client is wrapped up in a Stem wrapper that installs itself into its own folder. The standalone client from Port installs itself into its own folder. So you would, or could, have two versions of the client. One would be maintained by Steam and the other by downloading the files from Port. When Port does a build for a release or patch, the take the same code and build two different releases (one for Steam and one for the Port installer). Port's installer usually contains just the stuff that was changed. Steam's version may include the whole game for download, but sometimes it may be a smaller version of the changes.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Funny. My patch is 2gb. Steam is a strange tool.

bluezone5 likes this.
  8. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Steam patches ARE bigger, but the stupid sota patcher usually screws up and has to download the big patch anyways lol.

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Nope. You should have a SoTA username/pass already. If not, request a password reset.

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Steam patches are so big because it doesn't handle indexed data files that work like a database. If the exact same data isn't in the exact same place in the file, it doesn't identify it as the same data. So every patch scrambles around dozens of big data files, and steam's updater is too stupid to find the old data when it has just been moved around.

I haven't had that happen in a loooong time, and it's usually my fault when it happens for cancelling the install. Don't interrupt when it's in the patching process (once download is finished and unzipped). During the actual patching, the data is in an undefined state which forces it to download the 0-### update. Also be sure to have enough free disk space for the patch to work. If it runs out of space, the patch will abort in that undefined state.

If your patcher crashes during the update, then it might be time to run memtest86 on your computer.

11. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    It's just faster on STEAM for me.
    The install time of said patch is faster to.

memtest86 says Ram is good. 450GB left on the SSD. Same holds true on the system with m.2 drive. YMMV I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.