A Deck of Cards for Fortune-Telling

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Iggy, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iggy

Iggy Avatar

The idea of adding card games to Shroud of the Avatar has floated around for a long time (I even made a few posts about it myself about 5 years ago), but my wishlist suggestion today if a set of playing cards that can be used for fortune-telling instead. The idea of adding tarot cards and such has also floated around for a long time, but I have a few new ideas for it. So far the only bit of divination we have is a crystal ball decoration and although a set of cards in a similar vein would still be nice, I think there's room for something that actually "works".

The decks would consist of 32 cards, 2 each of every virtue and anti-virtue, designated by the appropriate symbol on the card. When the deck is "used", the equivalent of two cards are drawn from the deck and a fortune is told. There would be 256 possible unique combinations (since it's a double deck the same card can been drawn twice), each with their own little blurb about what the player's future holds. These will be simple, fortune-cookie style bits of text that will show on screen.

There will be an actual in-game effect to these fortunes (allowing the fortunes to come true, in a way), which would be done in a similar manner to the virtue devotionals and you would receive the equivalent of the low-end blessing effect of them (+15 health, +3 magic resistance, etc.). The catch is that half the cards are anti-virtues that would be a negative version, giving you a debuff instead of a buff. This would help to balance their use: you could get a small edge to help out for the day (1/4th of the time), a mixed blessing (1/2 of the time), or be negatively hampered by a minor amount (1/4 of the time). Either way, the effects will last for one in-game day (one out-of-game hour) and you cannot consult the cards again until the effects are gone. It will also take a couple of seconds to "use" and cost 25 focus, so probably best not to utilize in the middle of combat (although you can if you want).

Crafting a deck of cards will require an alchemy skill of 70 and the components below (it needs paper, of course, and utilizes all schools of magic). Like most tools, it will have 100 uses and can be repaired with a repair kit - tool.

10x Wood Pulp
    5x Black Pearl
    5x Corpse Wax
    5x Garlic
    5x Mandrake Root
    5x Nightshade
    5x Serpent Scale
    5x Spider Silk
    5x Sulfurous Ash

To wrap up, here are some examples to help clarify things:

Valor/Spirituality: You will soon be rewarded great recognition for your devotion.
    Sacrifice/Humility: The future requires hardship for you to learn and grow from.
    Compassion/Injustice: You are a charitable person, even if the face of unfairness.
    Honesty/Despise: A hated enemy will soon test your reality.
    Vanity/Deceit: A lie from someone is more flattering than the truth.
    Dishonor/Punishment: The road in front of you is difficult, but the shortcut is worse.

Anyways, just an idea.

Sarek, Beaumaris, Spoon and 5 others like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I like that idea allot :rolleyes: If there aren't too many of them, they can be much larger than one would believe normal cards should be in order to show off their artwork... like oversize cards for the enjoyment of others looking on at their reading.

:oops: Sometimes less is more but sometimes more are needed...
    [​IMG]
    Possibly added to the set, but along the same lines as you describe :)~TL~

3. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

This would be cool.

We could use some mini games like cards, dice and other games of chance.

I've heard arguments that it could be considered gambling. Not sure how to counter that. Still, it would be nice. And it would make Taverns great again!

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

Still a good idea.

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

As dubious as I am with the overall future of this game and its development, I absolutely love this idea! It adds an element of Ultima which is sorely missed in this game the further along we get in "development".

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Fiero Nord

Fiero Nord Archived Account

I do rune readings; wish I could put the existing runes on the floor or a table for this, or have a new set of rune tiles for this purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.