Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Unable to Update Game

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Kriis, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Title: Unable to Update Game

Reproduction Rate: 100%

Blocker? Yes

Details: Attempting to update 970 >971 since yesterday 15/05/2019. Launcher appeared to update. Since then launcher has hung. Closing the launcher give 'not responding' message in window. Update never starts.

User Specs: AMD FX-8350 8 core 4.01GHz, 16Gb, Win7 Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GTX750Ti

Build: 970

Loc: Area: n/a

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

If you right click on your sota icon, and select goto file location, (or goto your sota folder, but not the data folder) and goto the directory Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data there will be an output.log. Where there errors at the bottom if so, can you paste them? what antivirus do you have? perhaps its blocking it because its P2P? have you tried turning it off (even though it worked before)

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Here is what was found -

Torrent Loaded, infohash: AD-8A-8D-F9-1F-25-67-E3-3A-78-3F-5D-5B-AA-1F-C3-D0-D5-E3-46
    Starting torrent manager for StandaloneWindows_970_971.sotapatch
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

OldState: Stopped NewState: Hashing
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

OldState: Hashing NewState: Downloading

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
    Incoming message barfed: MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageException: Incorrect token in announce_peer
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.ErrorMessage.Handle (MonoTorrent.Dht.DhtEngine engine, MonoTorrent.Dht.Node node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageLoop.ReceiveMessage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    Backup web seed added!

ApplicationQuit:downloading

Setting up 4 worker threads for Enlighten.
    Thread -> id: 1ebc -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 187c -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 1bc4 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 26f0 -> priority: 1

4. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

I am using Norton Antivirus (only). Turned this off. No difference.

I am behind a physical firewall. Have you changed any ports recently?

5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Does it work if you download through a normal torrent downloader?

6. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Don't have such...

Is this the issue here...

Incoming message barfed: MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageException: Incorrect token in announce_peer

7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Possibly but downloading a torrent downloader might work.. it seems odd that doesnt work from sota

8. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So one thing I notice with Norton, if you pick up a release update soon after it is dropped, the software firewall will prompt you with a do you trust this application and a default of block. It has a timer associated with it. Check your Norton log to see if it is blocking the launcher.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  9. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Can't find any issue related to Norton. Is it possible to force the Launcher to update again ??

10. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Watching my firewall I am getting a very high number of blocked connection attempts on high numbered UDP & TCP ports when I fire up the Launcher. These are not the ones specified as required by SotA. ???

11. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

I note that one of these ports is TCP 55721. On lokking at the Launcher config I see this is marked as the Peer- to -Peer Listen Port.

Did I miss something ?? Has this changed ?? What was the value before ??

[​IMG]

12. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

13. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Indeed it does seem to be 55721, but P2P has always been the launcher patch method

14. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Changing the value of the listen port in the launcher has no effect. On restarting the launcher it still attempts connection to a slew of random UDP ports and to TCP 55721. So what changed ??

15. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Is this normal/expected behaviour ???

[​IMG]

16. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

I can understand the launcher trying to connect via the Listen port, but why should the launcher be trying to connect to this list of IPs on random UDP ports....

Has someone injected a virus into your Launcher code ???

17. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Can this be resolved ??

Has a ticket been opened for the devs to look into this ??

....or do I have to wait and see if the next update fixes it ??

18. Novia Property

Novia Property Avatar

greetings Kriis
    It does soundlike your firewall or Norton, personally i blame Norton, is the problem. Please email support@portalarium.com. They will have a simple but maybe not quick solution. You could also try turning off the firewall and disabling Norton to see if it works. But only if you are ok with that being off while you test.

19. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Thanks for the tips but Norton firewall is not running. I am using a hardware firewall. The SotA required ports were/are open. Everything was fine until the latest Launcher update. The last update 146 is dated 31/01/2019. The latest update 147 is the problem. It downloaded and updated the launcher when I tried to patch 970 - 971. This launcher loaded with a load of default baggage that was not in the previous version/s.

I have deleted the Launcher Data folder and the launcher app from SotA folder. I deleted the version 147 download from the Downloads folder and reinstated the 146 launcher and associated files. As expected, on firing up the launcher it checked for latest version and re-downloaded and installed 147.

This does NOT work as previous versions of the launcher and exibits some worrying activity.

More importantly it does NOT initiate the download as it is trying to use different (and on my system, blocked) ports.

Whither the change........????

My questions have still had no response.

What has changed?
    Did I miss something? (I have been away)
    Is this expected behaviour?
    Has a bug ticket been opened?

Why?

20. Kriis

Kriis Avatar

Here is the downloads folder. See the patcher 147 downloads at the bottom. The zipped file is larger than previous versions (which seem to be fairly consistant) and it comes with an associated Torrent file that the others don't. So, yes, something appears different....

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.