My Friends Feedback on SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jschoice, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I am a big fan of SotA and want this game to succeed. It is by far my most played MMO in the last 5 years with over 3K hours logged. ESO is second at 750 but will be gaining with the new expansion. ESO is a game where I play the new content once and then return to SotA.

I have recently asked several of my friends who were diehard UO players to give SotA another try. Here is the feed back they gave me.

Pros
    * Much more smoother game play then the last time they played with little to no hitching problems and faster load times.
    * Housing is best of any current MMO out there now
    * Friendly community
    * Combat system is new and fun after a bit of a steep learning curve

Cons
    * Unfinished and at times broken crafting system (most of them thought it was a good start but needs work)
    * Too many cloned adventure scenes starting at tier 3 and 4. Some of the best looking scenes are level 1 and 2 scenes.
    * Lack of meaningful PvP (ie guild warring system or faction system)
    * No raid content
    * Quests storylines were interesting but the quest tracking system is "trash"
    * Lack of player base

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Now the question is, will they be sticking around this time?

And looking at this list, it seems actually spot on with my current feeling of the game, even though I don't craft much, for me it is mostly the combat system that needs fixing, with all those cool combos and thousands of possibilities to expand them.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Nice- the game needs higher end content, BGs and more players good observations. Stuff we have been begging for for a very long time now.

Feeyo likes this.
  4. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

It feels weird diehard UO fans to mention raids - they basically got dungeons, less good than SotA, and Champion sapwns. I am saying it, because while I do like UO and I believe it worths playing even today, I started late, 2012 or 2013 so I dont have the same rosey nostalgia glasses. As for UO private shards, those were actually terrible and especially UOF. Also I never felt UO had any sort of good questing system but other than those yes its gameplay is very good. I also hated the 720 cap - felt too restrictive. If you want to work crafts here you can work them on your combat char - but on UO you had to make an alt due to that restriction losing gaming time on your main.

I think for playerbase, in SotA, a big role plays many play in private mode or changed to private and forgot they did.

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What's a "BG", @Brass Knuckles ?

Barugon likes this.
  6. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

Battle grounds. A concept in World of Warcraft where two sides ranging from 4v4 up to 40v40. Winning side would get gold, buffs, or a chance to kill a boss. I dont PVP but I did battleground a lot because it was ganking under acceptable terms for me. And in WoW gold was hard to come buy and you would get that.

Edit: forgot to mention it was capture the flag, last man standing etc. One version was defend a castle whereas the opposing team could gain access to seige machines which made lot o fun

Elwyn and FrostII like this.
  7. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Thank you @jschoice for sharing your friend's feedback. They nailed almost in everything.

Jaesun likes this.
  8. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Unfortunately not, with Classic WoW coming this summer and ESO's new Chapter they will be focusing elsewhere but they said they will continue to track SotA as they are looking for a good throw back experience.

9. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

your welcome I wish it was just 1 friend it was actually 9 friends and I just highlighted the things they had in common about pros and cons.

They felt chapter 1 should of been a smaller land mass that focused on putting in solid systems. As first impressions leave the biggest impact. This far in development with half systems in place and too many similar looking zones just is not acceptable to them even for a kick started project.

arcdevil, Spoon, Amelli and 3 others like this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Battle ground aka organized event like a capture the flag 10 v 10 etc. I’d prefer a arathi basin type event but a bg is any event.

The key is que while ur playing and summon when there are enough players if a player drops fill with next player looking to group.

Crendel, majoria70 and Elrond like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree and make them timed events. I'm also asking for a timer for us to make timed events too but I do think devs need to give the game it's own events too that happen and it should not be all player made events which some will avoid like the plague. So we do need our raid system soon too.

12. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Did they say anything about the dialogue box? ;P

ephialtes and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Say whaaa ?
    Your concern is a dialog box ?

14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you for this feedback. It is good to know what things other players don't like.

See you around in game when you are visiting Novia again. :)

Time Lord and Astirian like this.
  15. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I'm sure that if Sota had BattleGrounds, that would definitely have a very positive impact on the game. Several different goal related PVP areas, like the Capture the Flag of WarSong Gulch, or Capture and Keep production nodes of Arathi Basin, or the awesome ground-pounder of Alterac Valley (all references to World of Warcraft battlegrounds). If there were some sort of goal in the PVP, rather than relying on the plain old "I'm going to beat you for no particular reason other than this is a PVP area", that would spark a lot of interest.

The hardest part for Sota, I think, would be a method to create teams and have PVP actions only affect "enemy" team players, while not incinerating your "ally" team players.

16. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

For sure. I'm not a PvP guy but I enjoyed it from time to time in WoW. I also really enjoyed the PvP of Warhammer Online. There was just something about trekking across the map to go attack a keep en masse. Although I heard at the time that Dark Age of Camelot was better.

17. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

My overall take away from my friends experience is that they see the potential in SotA, however there is just too much unfinished and unpolished systems.

BG's would be nicely addition. Crafting needs some love. I don't think it needs to be made easier but more rewarding.

For me it is still fun and my favoriate game at the moment.

Time Lord, Astirian, Spoon and 3 others like this.
  18. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I really do think the following:

a. The game is a great big unpolished gem.
    b. BGs would be a thing I think I would queue for on a lazy Saturday morning.
    c. I'm interested to see what they do with crafting, particularly after seeing the attention given to taming. (and PvP a bit?)
    d. This forum holds the most amount of posts I've ever made on any of the (maybe 3) other game forums I've ever posted on. They have maybe less than, like, 5. I flippin' love this thing and by the many lively conversations on here, I know a lot of other peeps do too. :)

19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Is it this:

[​IMG]

Amelli, Time Lord and Astirian like this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

SOTA; It's not exactly finished, it's a bit offensive, but you can still eat it :D!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Amelli and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.