A message to COTO Exchange Managers and our Customers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by that_shawn_guy, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Are you trying to "Monopolize" the coto market?

When you try and "control" both sides of the market (buying/selling), that's called a "Monopoly" and there are Law's against that in the real world at least...

What??? Are you crazy???

If your price is so low, someone buys ALL your stock and you know who it is, then I suggest you bump your price up by 10% each time they do it... Sooner than later, they will stop buying you out and relisting them...

Both of you guys need to learn economics and how a Market works...

1st you can't control the buyers, either they have the money to buy or they don't... They walk in today or they didn't, maybe they will tomorrow, but you can't count on it...

2nd the Market sets the price, NOT you... All you can do is put "a" price on the item and see if it sells, if you're listing many of the same items, don't flood the market by putting too many up for sale all at once...

3rd when you sell out ALL your stock (monitor to see if it is to 1 person or many) keep track of how long it takes AND only restock if your sold out... If this happens many times, in a short period, your price is too low, bump it by 10% (always round up to nearest gold)...

Do these over and over and you will find that the guy who buys all your stock, stops buying because there's no profit for him to do it any longer... If you're really concerned about your "other" customers NOT buying from you, then keep a "customer" list, send them a mail with a "Sales" price for a 25% discount if they buy by a certain date/quantity and see if they accept your offer... If they do: Never forget them, and always offer them a Sales price whenever possible...

The Market price will eventually level off, and you will know when you make sales and your stock is there for a few days (but doesn't sit stagnate)... If someone comes along and buys everything (once and awhile), who cares, you made a bulk sales and if they resell for 10% more, who cares? Maybe you should become friends with them and sell to them in bulk...

I think both of you should support a World Market board (Yes an auction house), so this would all become apparent in action...

2. oplek

oplek Avatar

Thanks for explaining things to me that I already understand. My motivations weren't about maximizing profit... but more about market manipulation and economic disruption. PVP isn't always placing a dagger in your neighbor's back. I have a specific distaste of speculation.

Unfortunately, my tools for carrying through my evil anti-capitalistic plans are limited. The economy doesn't have enough depth yet.

I think you've pegged me on the wrong side of that argument.

3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That's what he's been doing. The general way is to put up tiers of prices, like a few at 100, a few at 105, a few at 110. This works well when people are simply needing or getting rid of cotos, and is a good way to handle an unexpected rise in prices. It's also a pain in the butt when prices are moving a lot, but still better than being raided.

I knew something was up when I saw Phil's with very steeply tiered prices, as in 115 to 200, after weeks of a mostly flat price. I've been watching the coto prices at least weekly or so since the exploit last year, so I have a feel for it. I knew that if he hadn't done that, there wouldn't even be any on there, and he did that because someone had started buying a lot of them.

Apparently there are some people out there with way too much IGG who decided to completely raid his inventory. Not to sell them somewhere else because the price was too low, but because the supply of cotos had shrunk enough and they were sitting on enough IGG to buy them all up, then either re-sell them higher or sell them RMT. Yeah, someone was monopolizing, but it wasn't Shawn/Phil.

I know I care about (and presumably Shawn does too) people being able to get cotos when they need it, and having them available when they need them. If someone sells some to me as a buy order, great. If they're just going to hoard them for market manipulation, then I'll take a break. I know I don't have an infinite supply of cotos, and I'm trying to avoid any real money (on both sides) in my coto trading. Sure, I've got some coming in every month from the Rewards Program, but I don't go out of my way to buy chunks of them just to sell in game. I don't have anything I need that much IGG for.

Spoon and that_shawn_guy like this.
  4. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

An increase in the IGG price of COTOs was inevitable from the combination of:

- An increase in the cost of buying them from Port's webstore as they incrementally reduced the 'sale discount' over the last couple of releases
    - The reduction in the $ value of IGG
    - The increased demand for COTOs for lot upgrades and the in game store

If you consider that $100 buys around 2m IGG on the player market currently, which is the $ price Port charge for 10,750 COTOs that suggests a rate of around 186 IGG per COTO

Elwyn, K1000 and rebbieforever like this.
  5. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Something similar happened over time on EVE Online regarding Plex currency/items as Plex became from a single item to a currency and got additional uses(skins, outfits, multiple training etc) apart from the basic 30 days subscription it first gave there. And on EVE actually a lot of assets get destroyed monthly. That shows that inflation on cash shop currencies is innevitable even on more balanced economies than SotA's

Elwyn and Scanphor like this.
  6. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Exactly this. I figure prices of cotos will settle and fluctuate between 160 to 200 igg per coto.

Elwyn and Scanphor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.