POLL: Your opinion of the NPC Dialog/Quest User Interface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Mar 8, 2019.

?

Groups of 3, answer once per group, Like, Don't Care, or Don't Like.

1. I like the Dialog User Interface

25 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. I don't care about the Dialog User Interface, one way or the other

9 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. I don't like the Dialog User Interface

79 vote(s)
    65.3%
  4. I like the font size as it is

21 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. I don't care about the font size

25 vote(s)
    20.7%
  6. I don't like the font size or would like more choices

55 vote(s)
    45.5%
  7. I like the CONTINUE button and how it functions

16 vote(s)
    13.2%
  8. I don't care about the CONTINUE button

31 vote(s)
    25.6%
  9. I don't like the CONTINUE button and how it functions

51 vote(s)
    42.1%
  10. I like having to scroll back up to see dialog

9 vote(s)
    7.4%
  11. I don't care about having to scroll back up

15 vote(s)
    12.4%
  12. I don't like having to scroll back up to see dialog

79 vote(s)
    65.3%
  13. I like the keyword system

54 vote(s)
    44.6%
  14. I don't care about the keyword system

18 vote(s)
    14.9%
  15. I don't like the keyword system

37 vote(s)
    30.6%
  16. I like the dark color scheme

32 vote(s)
    26.4%
  17. I don't care about the color scheme

37 vote(s)
    30.6%
  18. I don't like the dark color scheme or would like more choices

30 vote(s)
    24.8%
  19. I like the position of the dialog window

25 vote(s)
    20.7%
  20. I don't care about the position

30 vote(s)
    24.8%
  21. I don't like the position of the dialog window

42 vote(s)
    34.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Yes, I hope, small visual things like that will be done to improve -not only- the dialogue window.

Currently I don't have a problem with the dialogue window itself or the place where it is, just those things, which can put us off the game:

1. The 'more' click: The dialogue window could provide 1 more text line and may be 1cm left and right to prevent alot of 'click' time.
    Also a possibility: scrolling like page up / page down keys.

2. (okay can't say it often enough, short version today) Underlined words interrupt our reading flow.
    Standard should be without underlined keywords.

3. Input line and possibility to enter words: Unfortunately, this input line may cause you to quit soon!

IDEA: @Sannio, it would be a fine to have a 'HINT' ICON to provide those words which can be entered besides the marked words inside the NPC text.
    For example:
    The new quest in Noreach given by Sigrunn.
    You can ask a few people about words given by her:
    "northern curse", "norther sky", "northern history"

If you meet those persons later (and won't remember you have to enter those keywords), it may drive you crazy after trying all given keywords ... without having success ....
    Remember the Geisterseelen Quest, please.

So klicking the ICON/keyword "HINT" could easy provide the current QUEST KEYWORD, which is not shown in the keyword line, but has to be entered to go on with the story :)

Quality of life improvements: people who wants to read the journal and like to find out the right keywords can do so - others who won't, also people who are starting quests today and following them in a few weeks or months, don't have to despair while searching for the right word(s).

As all of us know: "Words - don't come easy ..." ;) Wasn't there a song in the 80's from F.R. David? ;)

Bedawyn and Astirian like this.
  2. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Or if you're not into the whole rounded rectangle padding thing, here's another idea... Again, minimal changes, added less padding this time, I also increased the size and added a border in line with (most of) the other UI windows:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Just little changes but they allow the text to breathe. The more I play around with this, the more I realize it's the proximity of the text to the game graphics that is the most jarring.

I also feel that the box contour compliments the scroll bar nicely.

Beaumaris and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That does help.

Line breaks would help immensely as well. The readability is just crap, particularly for a game that expects you to read volumes.

It's the little things.

Astirian likes this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@Spungwa was discussing the quests with me the other day and he had a terrific idea I thought, that SEEMS like its doable enough to revamp all old quests with maybe?

when you talk to a questgiver, just do away with the optional keywords. Just have a big ol button with the response required to progress the dialogue. Then once the quest is accepted or declined, have the other options show up again so you can as about rumors, family life, health, etc.

Curious to see what @Sannio would think about that

Astirian likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Please, for the love of the Guardian, put in line breaks. ESPECIALLY in the Love questline where you frequently have multiple NPCs talking, and it all runs together.

And nuke that F-ing Continue.

Jaesun, Astirian and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think the choices work fine, you can see all two or three options.

Once you get to : will you do it? Yes/no/later, I don't think that's causing people a problem.

Getting to that point, on the other hand... Getting out of the Isle of Storms without saying "Good Gad! There is no way I'm reading a story on this 90s Era MUD interface!" well, there's the rub.

So for choices, they will hopefully look much better when the whole thing does.

I have a sneaky suspicion they are punting the UI to the players, hoping we will mod it and make it look good. We will, but that means get the modding system running yesterday please!

majoria70, Astirian and Mishikal like this.
  7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

They've been promising a mod system for as long as I can recall, so I'm not holding my breath on it.

8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I think I see this in motion: the MMO or Console guy (no judgement, I am also both of those dudes) clicks on the golden keyword to progress because F quests. The Immersion/Single-Player guy knows that if he enquires about other things, the quest results may change, which is super gratifying to that type of player.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (believe it or not!) does this. Some quests play out differently based on the conversational choices you make, or whether you've chosen to ask specific "non-Golden" questions. First AAA action game I've seen do this.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

The thing is though man, that would be fine and all for a well established game. But for a game that's still very much in active development wanting to attract new players, ehhh... Maybe not so much. I guess this is why we push this. :)

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Here are some more ideas. I feel like we miss out on a lot of the feeling with the system we have. Many people just click away at those keywords and don't get an experience from doing that but they can seem like little pests you must swat to move on. ;) Please take away so many keywords. How about choices to make instead. It would take so much less time to do the system if we did not have all those keywords and choices plus the text could give the required flavor and choices could matter. That's what we could be working on and is it too late to change the direction for the new quest lines. Perhaps It is too late imo to totally change the Episode 1 quests all that much. There has been much improvement there but of course it could take much very valuable time to revamp them totally at this moment with such a small team to work on them. So what do you think of going forward with a new system? Not the best idea but for the most part Sannio did not even create the original quests.

[​IMG]

Of course I would love something like this but I'm sure it would be way too much re-work for the current quests but perhaps we could switch over if most NPC's were moved over to episode 2 and the mapping could be done. Hopefully the mapping of them is in the works big time to present a much more fluent and engaging experience.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I do wish there were portraits in the dialogs. Especially when interacting with multiple NPCs.

Astirian and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  12. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

I think in most games I've played each time the NPC responds in a conversation the dialog window is cleared and their response replaces it whereas with Shroud it scrolls up. I have to figure out where to start reading after each response which is kind of confusing. Is that just me?

Astirian and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yeah, but Vlad these pups totally influence my vote! They are absolutely adorable and amazing my friend! :)

They have my vote fo sho! :D

Astirian likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

:D

Astirian and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Shift

Shift Avatar

You can easily see the NPC emoting when he's speaking. SOTA has a ton of emotes that could be used when npc's are talking to give the character's life. I wish the dialogue did the text one character at a time sort of creating a tele type or typewriter still effect.

[​IMG]

Astirian and Gia2 like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: "Ready? Action!" :confused:
    For me, this talk of dialog seems as though that dialog is suppose to somehow carry the immersion of the scene all by itself.
    When we go to watch a movie, most blockbusters will not depend on their dialog as it's major attraction.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe "Sleepless in Seattle" could, but that's because it's a romance, which dialogs tend to do better for instead of just two people doing the raw dog.

Character actions within the zoom-ins seem missing here in SOTA, but there's only so much we can do in that regard. Any "loop" would have to be emotional based instead of the character mouthing the same words over and over again.

:rolleyes: Yet then there's the surrounding scene, which here in our SOTA seems to be something we could do something about, but yet haven't. All our "dire scenes" are not truly dire being not depicted well in any sort of emergency situations, and then there's the more mundane scenes, where a shopkeeper is standing behind a counter and seemingly has been standing there in that exact spot for days just waiting for a customer. SOTA has attempted to address this situation in some scenes, but many scenes are still left lacking.

"In all things and in all ways, the stage carries the play"
    [​IMG]
    :eek: unless we're talking about Shakespeare, and I'm sure if he had the choice, he would have of had wanted a better stage set too :confused:

Sorry, I'm not trying to derail, you can get back to your dialog discussion without further obstruction o_O~TL~

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Vladamir Begemot and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

This is actually awesome idea

Astirian likes this.
  18. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

The main problem for me is having to worry about clicking all the keywords. This gets in the way of how the story is told. I feel like I have to scroll back up to double check, clicking the same word more than once just to make sure etc. It really disrupts the flow.

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great feedback in this thread. I hope the devs have read it.

20. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Ah yes friendly Doctor. But what about Quentin Tarantino's scenes? In game terms, a blockbuster to me is WoW. But SotA is my Blade Runner, and this issue we debate in this thread isn't about the writing. That can be its own thread methinks.

This, I think, is a directorial thing. A real manifestation of artistic clout. Here is one of the best "dire" scenes I can think of in recent memory, how it could apply to SotA's sense of bombast, I do not know:

It is such a mix of investment in the story, presentation, the script, acting, editing, soundtrack etc...

But for me, aesthetically speaking, in a video game, in our video game, the implementation of the dialogue box could do with polish. For one simple reason:

It's our window into the world, if you can't get "into" the world, then it won't mean much to you. It's the actual narrative portal.

The Portal needs to be either unnoticed, or glorified. Like a great movie soundtrack. I once read that a soundtrack should either go completely unnoticed, or be so remarkable that it IS noticed, and praised for its awesomeness.

Our poor dialogue box is noticed. But for the wrong reason.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Vladamir Begemot, Time Lord and Gia2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.