Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Warding

Discussion in 'Release 66 QA Feedback' started by Barugon, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, it's as I feared and if you don't care about using magic then you can offset the penalty by raising magic skills and ultimately have far more resistance than any magic using avatar could ever achieve. :(

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

@Chris Please consider making it take the biggest out of the 2 values! This is where things can go wrong making the people who were upset about the system even more upset, because instead of giving us an alternative, you are giving us 9 extra skills to work on instead to be Top Tier (mages will simply become irrelevant at this point)

Barugon likes this.
  3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I don’t understand, if you want to use magic then you don’t do warding. The resistance from attunement is what is best for you. Don’t put any xp into the warding skill. If you don’t want to use any magic, zero, nada, none then you would get your resistance from warding. You are meant to get resistance from both. Well I guess you could if you don’t care about your attunement in the other tree. But that a decision you’ll have to make.

That’s the intent of the design.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Let's say that you care about fire magic and you have 10 skills at 100. You would have 100 fire attunement and 50 fire resistance from that attunement. Great! Now let's say that you instead don't care about fire magic and you decide to get fire warding to 100; that gives you +100 resistance and -100 attunement (-50 fire resistance) for a net fire resistance of +50. Sounds good, right? However, you then realize that if you get 10 skills in the fire tree to 100, you offset that -50 fire resistance and you would have +100 fire resistance in the end. If you're a fire mage and you care about that fire attunement then you will never be able to achieve that level of natural fire resistance. Not having the resistance be the greater of attunement or warding opens the door for non magic users to essentially cheat.

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

These skills became what they are because many players did not appreciate having to train 80 skills to get resistance to a reasonable level, and requiring to train them to 100 to compete in PvP. Now with these skills, it's an extra skill to train (x5 exp!) Without removing the necessity to train 80 skills to compete or be as efficient, and in PvP this makes melee classes the OP class, by making mage classes useless due to combining all the resistances together.

Dhanas and Barugon like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not to mention that it will make magic ineffective for PvP.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  7. golruul

golruul Avatar

Do these new warding skills decrease damage taken from PvE? From what I remember the warding gems didn't.

8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I guess if someone wanted to they could do both, get the warding and the extra attuenment from a full magic tree. Expecially if he didn't care for the lost magicattunemnet at all. Won't know until warding is available.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

That is still being debated. The jury on pve use is still out and I don't think Chris has been asked that in his streams.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm super upset about this. When @Chris was originally talking about it a few months back and said that it would be the higher of the resistance skill or attunement, I was all for it. As it is, I'm thinking about canceling my subscriptions.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It would be nice to at least get an explanation from @Chris as to why he decided to do it this way. He may have a sensible reason as to why. But with no word on the thought process, it does come off as a fairly boneheaded choice, given that it clearly throws magic users under the bus.

Jaesun, Violette Dyonisys and Barugon like this.
  12. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Greetings Warders... Not sure if i get this yet...tried to train the skill in fire...I have 84 fire attunment and I can't use fire in my plate set...hay this is great...i can increase my fire resits to +84 and never have to try casting fire again...I also have a bunch of death attunment that I can do the same...though that i have even more points...this is going to be so cool, as a plate user i can do the same thing with the other warding skills that i have issues using...all i ask at this time is they explain how to activate the skill so I can start working my warding resistances...

13. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

You get the skill the same way as other skills, by talking to the trainer. I don’t know for sure if the adventurer trainer or a master trainer will train the skill. Currently the skills show up in the skill trees, but they are not hooked up with the trainers. So you can’t learn the skill yet. This has been reported and i’m hoping that they can can hook them up before the next build comes out. To gain skill, it was said that you need to use the skills in the tree, but set it to not training first. That way you won’t use up xp. It will be cool tho if the resist also goes up when you take damage from spells that would normally be resisted such as fire damage increasing fire resist.

Redhammer likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I will definitely be getting fire warding in addition to the fire skills that I'm working on so that I don't get obliterated by fire mobs. What I'm worried about is that it will become the new normal and they will have to boost mobs in order to counter it.

[edit] I'll be testing it on QA as soon as it's available in order to ensure that it actually lowers mob PvE damage.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I had to build up some experience in my pool (the extra QA experience that you get when logging in isn't actually being put into your pool) before I could train the skill. Before getting the fire warding skill, I went to Oracle Colossus and triggered the entrance puzzle three times for 15 fire DOTs. With 80 fire attunement (including 80 Fire Proof) I received an average of 47.8 damage per. After getting the Fire Warding skill in the Water tree to 70, I was left with 10 fire attunement. I triggered the Oracle Colossus entrance puzzle three times for 15 fire DOTs and received an average of 47.93 damage per. At this point, I'm not even sure what fire resist actually does.

golruul, Jaesun and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Sounds like it works exactly as well as the gems.

Barugon likes this.
  17. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

I trained the fire warding, and with GM fire proof and GM magic warding, I still taking 200+ damage from a dragon fireball. Not sure if it is working or only work on player fire damage.

Violette Dyonisys and Barugon like this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm so confused about what magic resistance is supposed to do. I know it probably won't get a response to tag a dev member but: @Chris, can you please provide some information about how magic resistance is used?

19. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Imagine, before in pvp, people had fire resist (30 pts) and water skill to resist fire, now they have fire warding 100 pts at gm and magic resist another 100 pts at gm, i was doing around 30-50 crit at my best on someone full warded, am i going to heal him for 150 now? lol this is ridiculous, magic res + all ward = 200 resist point one shot + potions lesser and greater add another 75 points, there many item that magic resist too, flute of defiance another 30 pts, and top it the fire proof skill is still there, another 30. pvp mage = useless from now on. Im really not happy with this change as a fire mage. And other mage are getting a out of no where 150 resist to their tree (which was 50 i think before if you had 100 attune in the tree). Im not sure if dev ever saw a physical pvper go around but they do quite some damage each hit. Why are our nullified?

And im on QA, did a greater unlearn scroll to unlearn all adventure exp, i still have 2-300 points in each magic tree, and if i check the total exp i got back and the total exp still in magic tree, thats a few millions i just lost there.

List told me on stream they would adjust to balance it, yeah i can believe, but do we have to start in the roof ? Did anyone see the difference?

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This was the main problem I had with the resist skills. If you get say Fire Warding to 100, Magic Warding to 100 and you have 10 fire skills at 100 (including 100 Fire Proof) that's 175 natural fire resistance before items and potions. I feel sorry for PvP mages.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.