Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback on taming changes

Discussion in 'Release 66 QA Feedback' started by Gwendolyn Obscuro, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

1. Thank you for giving taming some love!!! It has been very much needed.
    2. Please fix the current overpowered pet but ASAP so we can get some real testing done on QA for new artifacts and skills.
    3. I noticed that when I put on one of the new taming artifacts I need to dismiss and re-summon my pet for the effects to show (based on increase in health of pet, increase in focus penalty) I'm not sure if this is intentional or not.
    4. While I understand that a stronger pet means more focus drained I think the current focus drain levels are too high. Even with my pet specialization at 99 my focus drain is over 500 for a large obsidian bear with the new artifacts and new skills at level 100. Someone said with a destroyer it was over 800 points and I don't even have that much focus as a level 102 character! Please consider reducing the focus costs by about half, or at least create a belt that would do that. (Remember that summoned pets do not have this disadvantage at all nor do they take up the necklace slot so I feel the penalties can be reduced somewhat)

Violette Dyonisys and Pawz like this.
  2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Where did you find the taming artifacts??

3. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Chris gave a couple of us some taming artifacts to test.

4. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Chris sent me the artifacts. Unfortunately he says they won't be added to the loot tables until maybe monday or so.

5. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

So now that we have a new patch and pets are working fine, I'll give some feedback. With 1 billion ish exp in the taming tree it's ok. It's still quite a bit under powered vs every other tree if you put a billion points into them. Taunt is working much better!

The speed increase seems to not be working at all and while I can't see the pets stats he does seem to crit more often so I assume the increased dex from the skill is working.

The added strength does increase damage but not by as much as one would expect and doesn't add any HP. I have the skill trained to 155 so with that and the wolf hat, that's an added 180 in strength.

The skill that adds to crit damage is working well, I have that trained to 155 with adds 1.6 crit damage and with the wolf hat adding 0.5 crit damage, crits are in a good place.

The toughness skill after more testing with mobs that normally hit bear really hard, toughness seems to be working pretty well. He does seem to take less damage from high level mobs.

In summary, taming will NOT be OP but it is far more usable now and if you can keep yourself standing with a bit of healing, the bear can and will kill stuff for you at a decent pace. However for having spent around one billion points into the tree, I would expect the bear to be more powerful, the death pet (with the death staff) for comparison hits just as hard, can't taunt at all has way less HP but also costs a tiny fraction of what my bear costs in exp points.

I should point out that I don't know if there are more taming artifacts as I only have the hats and the ring for testing, so with more artifacts, taming might be pretty strong.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Gwendolyn Obscuro and Spinok like this.
  6. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

My bear seems tougher, than live, and I have 80 in all the new things, however, me as a player? I seem to have taken wuss pills as now I seem to be hitting for half what I was..

7. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Can you give some numbers of crits/average hits by the pet ?

8. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

He crits from 100 - 500. That's with the skill at 155 and the wolf hat, which gives an effective skill around 200 total.

His non crit hits average around 90-115

Spinok likes this.
  9. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I just took bear to Ruined Keep, those mobs always smoosh bear, now with some healing he does ok there. I also took him to Spectral Peaks and he did great there! Remember...this is with around one billion points put into the taming tree. All and all, I'm pretty excited about taming now! :) Being a pure tamer is finally a viable choice.

Gia2 and Barugon like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Remember though that the pets are not supposed to be a replacement for an avatar, but more of an ally, slightly under performing. Death pets using the death staff do have similar damage output, but you are sacrificing HUGE by using that weapon over anything else, have less HP, can't taunt, dont have a skill to crit more often, and decay. Meanwhile your pet doesnt decay, can pull aggro, the skills (even without 1b exp) do a nice difference, and the artifacts are rings (easy to swap out a player crafted ring for that) and a helm (which arent the biggest factor in player crafted gear), so it is easy to go use those artifacts without losing avatar potential but gaining HUGE pet potential.

Pets also get increased attack speed from the skills dont they? That should clearly buff their DPS if you look past the min-max hits.

Dhanas and Pawz like this.
  11. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Death pets don't decay if you use the staff and take their passives to 130.

Don't glaze over the one billion exp it costs to have my bear. ;)

12. Gwendolyn Obscuro

OK, a bit more feedback after the bug fix.....

First off I do not have a billion experience points in the taming tree, but I am spec'd in it and have way more points in taming than in any other tree. I have played for about a year and a half now and am adventure level 102. Here is what my taming skills are trained to:
    [​IMG]

I did my testing using the Large Obsidian Bear that I use on live server. Why not an Obsidian Destroyer? 1) As mentioned in my original post the focus penalty is really high - testing on QA the Large Obsidian Bear took 2/3 of my focus and I don't even have as much as the Obsidian Destroyer would have taken. and 2) I haven't gotten together a group to help me tame one on live yet and he eats me way too quickly for me to tame him by myself.

I took my bear to Ruined Keep to compare him to his wild friends since Chris once mentioned this as a benchmark. On live server my bear can generally take out a Ferocious Brown Bear on his own, but gets creamed by his own kind. On QA with the new skills at 100 but not using artifacts it was a much more fair fight against the wild Large Obsidian Bears, but my poor friend still dies most of the time if I stand by without healing him. Adding in the Legendary version of the Ring of the Ringmaster and the Rare version of the Helm of the Bear Spirit my bear was finally able to win the fight unassisted, though he was hurt very badly. Max crit I saw was 221, most hits were between 45 and 75.

Just for fun I had him attack Baern'Dawl and my bear did eventually win, but it took about 15 minutes of my CONSTANT healing and no other mobs involved so not really useful for a real play style. Luckily I'm not looking to just stand by and let him fight everything himself, I want a pet to fight along side myself. The new skills seem to really help with this at least if I am fighting one or two enemies at a time that tend to stand still or move slowly. He even seems to peel off a mob or two from me if he is able to catch them to damage them. But I tend to get all initial aggro since I tend to be in the lead and they see me first and if they hurt me fast enough that I have to run and heal he gets lost in the dust unless I run back and forth past him. Also if he does manage to get aggro from more than one mob he tends to get confused. Just like he does a 3 second pause before he attacks what you tell him to attack, he'll take 3 seconds to decide which of the mobs to attack seemingly between each attack. The npc mobs don't seem to take so long to decide who to bite! (I think the issue is specifically when the mobs are doing about the same amount of damage to him so he goes back and forth between them)

Overall thanks again for the updates! They make pets much more usable but certainly not over powered. And please consider reducing the focus cost - remember we are already needing to level up an additional 5 skills for this extra bit of power! Now I just need to find some legendary artifacts on the real server :)

Violette Dyonisys and Pawz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.