Warding... PVP only benefit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steevodeevo, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Hi Devs, specifically @Chris and @DarkStarr

Is it correct that Warding only applies protection in PVP?

Loads of players in chat in game seem to be confused and many are chucking valuable Exp points into
    Warding thinking it will help them in PVE.

Many of them are saying no one said it was PVP only but some say its intuitive (given NPC mobs only use Intel not Attunement).

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Chris put this as something Critical to look at, so we should have a fix incoming soon if it doesnt work for PvE.

Imagine if all this time our resistances/attunement training served 0 purpose in PvE... some content will become super easy

Time Lord and Scanphor like this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I was under the assumption it was both, it’s the end of the pvp mage. Double warding plus ward gear plus any attument that’s left /2 .

In the case of some trees there is a 3rd warding fire proof, blue blooded and what ever the air one is called. Then in the moon tree there is a buff to cast vrs the remaining magic types.

4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

PVE you mean..?

5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Here is the post I mentioned I'd do.

I didn't see this thread when I started my post about Chris's stream commnets. In particular I have the times where Chris shows the formula.

Still looking for the tie in one of his streams where he addresses the pve/pvp issue.

Edit: here is the time on Monday's stream where Chris answers the question 'Do resistances apply to both pve/pvp'. He answers the question at 52:00 in the stream. A short answer that results in him creating a jira for himself. [ends at 54:00] He tried to look at it on Wednesday, but he wasn't able to dedicate enough time to explore it thoroughly enough to come to a definite conclusion.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@jiirc
    I hope you find it.
    If this "warding" addition only applies to PvP, it could be the final straw for that proverbial camel.......

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  7. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I just edited my post with the information from Monday's stream where he answers my question about pve, pvp and resistances.

8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

From today's stream he answered a couple more questions.

What he's found with pve and resistances is that it may be a bit buggy. Also some old mobs aren't using resistances correctly. He is still planning to straighten it all out so that it is working ok.

Also, near the end of today's stream(1:49:00 about a 45s answer) Chris confirmed that the multiplier calculation is used but the mob's int is used (somehow, not enough time to get into it today) to determine the sourceAttunement in the calculation. At least that's what I gathered from his response (actually he responded twice to the question, but the secomd was a bit clearer to me.) Due to time constraints he deferred further conversation about it for another day.

9. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Since we have no access to the data about our resistance value and how much is resisted, we can't really test these things - neither in QA nor in live.

So unless the Developers thoroughly test this new but very important system, they're not going to get very good feedback :oops:

I'm quite happy to not see the man behind the curtain, to be honest, and I've always been glad about the immersive quality of the game - but that cannot be if we are expected to test the systems that we are simultaneously kept in the dark about :confused:

Amelli and Synergy Blaize like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

It should be reasonably easy though, get hit a few hundred times from fire spells (do an hour in the rise :p) extract that data from your player log, then train your resistance higher, and do the same thing. You should see a decent difference. If I am not mistaken, typing /stats will also give you your resistance data too.

Jason_M likes this.
  11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

One anecdotal report: I was getting eaten by the abandoned ghost in Ruins of Ravensmoor. So, a full necromancy resistance outfit - gem on chest, two on bow, jewels on ring and necklace. 95% death resistance. The ghost and I stood and looked at each other in a Mexican standoff - he couldn’t touch me, but he also regenerated so fast I couldn’t wear him down. So I moved on and ignored him. Didn’t make a scrap of difference with the big lich at the bottom though:(

Violette Dyonisys and Time Lord like this.
  12. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

One of Chris’s comments today regarding pave and resistance was that sonnet older mobs weren’t configured properly, because they are old game objects. While the use of the lich lord is newer and prolly a higher tire, that lich has been in that spot for quite a while. He might fall into the ‘resistances, you aint’t got no resistances’ category that Chris was talking about. He plans to get those fixed up so that they to consider resistance in their damage calculations.

13. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Good advice about the /stats, but how do I see that information? It says "recording stats to chat log file," but there is no chat log file in the folder :oops:

14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Somewhere in you %appdata% folder under portalarium. If you search the forums about "chat log" you might get the exact answer more than what I can provide :)

Jason_M likes this.
  15. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

/datafolder in game will take you to the folder where your chat logs are stored. Very handy thing I was recently shown!

Jason_M and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

https://github.com/Barugon/CotA

17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

/datafolder

18. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

great! Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.