Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Starting gear

Discussion in 'Release 66 Feedback' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jun 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Bedawyn just gave me an idea when describing having a clone of himself pop up in Solace Bridge Outskirts, and run off. In other words, there are enough players coming in at that one spot, now that everyone is starting in Love, that it's getting awkward that they all look alike.

Character building aside, this gave me an idea for starting them off. Rather than default starter gear, pull from the player crafted loot tables, low end.

So an example result to be shooting for, if four people pop in at once, is that Avatar number
    1. has a normal +2 wolf hat, slightly used
    2. has a worn down supple leather helm with two enchants and a couple failures
    3. has a bore hat +3, exceptional
    4. maybe a crappy copper plate helm?
    So as they are popping in, everyone is looking different, and they all have this gear in their inventory, crafted by other players they don't even know, which is an interesting mystery.

Not just helms, kit them out.

Gia2 and Feeyo like this.
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yeah, and this way we clean up the internal looting tables from the crap gear at the same time :)
    Or even better, give the new players the option to select some basic gear options at character creation.

*edit: And if your already modifying character creation, please add some new options to character creation. Body sliders, more face and hair options.
    Sorry I got carried away..

Gia2 and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yes, you did.

But if the choice of gear didn't take it from unlikely to not happening, I'd say great idea.

Feeyo likes this.
  4. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

My ideal would be to have players choose a starting "nationality" (Offworlder, Perennial, Norgard, etc.) and everyone gets starting gear appropriate for that region. I know that's not realistic any time soon, though.

I am a little leery of your idea, though, Vladamir. I've seen too many immersion-breaking bear headdresses around as it is already (looted way too many of them already myself). This sounds like it would result in a couple people getting really good gear that gives them an advantage over other starting players and most people ending up with an eclectic set of mismatched gear that they'd never choose for themselves and that they're not comfortable wearing. New players might well be forced to spend their initial loot money just to get a basic outfit that doesn't make them cringe, instead of being able to save up for a better house that they can fill with your furniture. It's one thing for starting gear to have crappy stats, it's something else for starting gear to have crappy cosmetics that are going to turn players off.

If I were going to give people randomized crafted starting stuff, I'd keep it to one small deco item that they don't actually need to use. That would be cool, and could provide a hook for roleplay and backstory generation. However, since the game still forces new players to buy extra bank slots just to store all the extra non-placeable crafting tools and reagents they're not going to need any time soon, I'm leery about giving new players ANYTHING extra at all that they don't need.

(The new player handbook and healing potions do NOT fall into that category. I can't believe they decided to skip giving people those.)

The simpler solution to the problem of new character clones is simply to give us back SPO and a choice of starting scenes. :) And maybe some new better hair colors -- I know a total redo of the character creation options would take work and I don't know how much work would be required to create even one new hairdo, but I can't believe that simple recolors of existing hairstyles would be all that hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.