Raccoons -- a.k.a. Trash Pandas

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Rowell, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Or just go straight for the Wa, the red panda...

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

It must be remembered that this is a Global Game & many Countries simply don't have Raccoons....

4. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Doesn't matter if other countries don't have raccoons. Raccoons are cute! and their existence should be shared with ALL people.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

That is your opinion from Your Cultural experience.
    I just recall that Chris/Atos had to get Professionals in to remove/block them from his roofspace.
    Other than that they are native to North America... so NOT a Global Creature & definitely NOT cute if they are creating havoc in your roof space.

In Australia, we have possums, & while they may seem cute if you spotlight them in a Tree for Visitors to our Country,
    They are not fun in the roofspace nor when they jump from a tree & run along your roof (with concrete boots on) using our roof like a highway to jump on the next tree.

So I will say NO to raccoons/possums being creatures in MY game.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Many countries don't have crocodiles or wild boars, either. So I don't think that's an issue.

I'm not really going to argue against it; though, if I had any reservations about it, it would be because I tend to look at the game from a RP/immersion perspective and typically this means that the devs will pick monsters and critters that fit the game, and this generally means pulling from within the cultural context that inspired the game. This is never going to be a strict thing because this isn't really a recreation of Earth. Though, honestly, I'm looking forward to a lot of things like foxes and stuff that fit the Western Medieval context and have shown up in Ultima games before. And actually tanuki (racoon dogs) would fit the Eastern Medieval context in and around Ardoris. Actual raccoons are kind of an odd thing, because they are North American critters.

Which doesn't mean they can't be included maybe; just that I'm less excited about them being included ;) I'm kind of wondering what the devs have in store for future continents. Whether we'll have Medieval Arabia-inspired areas, Medieval India-inspired areas, etc.

Time Lord and Crendel like this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea would make sense in the Perennial Coast, around Ardoris.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. oplek

oplek Avatar

Should continue the tradition of chopping off the first letters. So "Accoons"

9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Rabbits can wreak havoc on any gardening/planting lands... and while some consider them cute, I am sure there are many who have the same view of rabbits as you do of opossums and raccoons. Should we have the little arrow magnets immediately removed from SotA?

I say the more diverse our "biospheres", the better.

Time Lord, Bedawyn and Cordelayne like this.
  11. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Whilst I agree with more diversity within our Virtual World, are you saying we should have more Rabbits introduced here? (We have the Death Bunny)
    I am at a loss to understand what you are endorsing between Rabbits, POSSUMS (not opossums < again I think a local Americanism?) or Raccoons?

& I have no idea at all as to your reference about "little red arrows magnets immediately removed from SotA?"

I am NOT looking for an argument...
    I am just stating that this is a Global Game & not all creatures in the US are relate-able to the rest of the World.
    Apart from Chris's comments about Raccoons in the roofspace...
    my only comprehension of Raccoons are from OLD TV/Movies = A Raccoon Skin hat, Rocky & Bullwinkle = Cartoon & Rocky Raccoon = Beatles song.

Again, this is a Global Game.
    End of My Input on the Global Perspective...

12. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Sucking the fun/life out of things. Yeesh.

So add a Raccoon and a Red Panda. Throw in an Otter ad a Koala too, because they're cute as well.

13. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

I am all for the adding of more wildlife to kill cook and eat. especially if we can also turn them into Taxidermy.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I'm not looking to argue either. I brought up rabbits because they are EVERYWHERE in the wilds of Novia, not just our cute little bringer of death holing it up at the bottom of a mine, and they like the North American Opossum (cousin to your Possum, only by way of being a marsupial) and Raccoon are considered pests in some places.

My point being, just because it isn't in your neck of the woods doesn't mean it should be in the game. There is space enough already that we could take 50 different animals from all locations in the world and levels of the food chain, and introduce them to the game and we would still have room for improvement as far as fauna was concerned.

This diversity could lead to so many other things... like *gasp* well defined REGIONS! (sarcasm NOT directed at you, btw)

Which opens the door for other items that can be collected for decoration and crafting, introducing more diversity in those areas, and possibly spilling out into combat as additional raw materials could mean additional consumable and/or gear recipes.

Right off the top of my head:

Raccoon - skinned - gives leather scrap, raccoon heads, feet, pristine and regular carcasses
    Carcasses: used for more food recipes, and a stuffed raccoon trophy (pristine)
    Head: Potion of the Scavenger: +x to all salvage skills for 2 minutes
    Feet: Potion of Shadow Walking : +x to Silent Movement

Possum/Opossum - skinned - gives leather scrap, (o)possum heads, pristine and regular carcasses
    Carcasses: same as Raccoon
    Head: Potion of Stillness: +X to Camouflage for 2 minutes

Just some ideas... lack of presence outside of a particular area shouldn't block something from being added to the game, is all I'm saying.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Time Lord, Bedawyn and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Tops $1 Billion Movie Market Share,
    [​IMG]
    Can't get a break into SOTA :(
    ~Time Lord~:p

Rowell and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.