Risk vrs Reward failer player dungeons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

some how risk vrs reward is all jacked up when It comes to player made dungeons.

Currently Ut even places like the rise out preform player made dungeons in xp and loot, yes I make more loot in ut than in my player made dungeons.

Currently my dungeon with T2 totems out preforms my t3-t6 set up in gold per hour and xp per hour.

My T3-t6 dungeon is waaaaaay harder than even the rise (finally getting to my point) why would anyone want to spend time in a punishing player made dungeon when every other option out there is more rewarding from a loot and a xp perspective. And why are T2 dungeons more rewarding than t5-6 per hour.

Chris says they want to focus on more player made content but other than creating more gold sinks and more store items for portal why would any sane player want to spend time in them? I guess the ballroom and the deco divas might be the one satisfied crowd. I’ll admit building them is kinda kewl.

Tazar has an amazing dungeon I’ve no interest in playing inside it.Almost every thing else is more rewarding in every way that’s important to me.

Final note- I bought several of the starter dungeons approaching a year ago now and none of them have functioning rooms. It’s a STARTER dungeon set arnt ya suppose to start with it? Maybe they shoulda been named ender sets or we just gonna take ur money sets(JUST a JOKE)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Mordai, Crendel and Dhanas like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I've said from the beginning that player made dungeons won't be an alternative to grinding scenes. Even if they did provide decent rewards, most players aren't going to go out looking for good dungeons to grind. But the devs are staying away from the rewards, too, because they think they'll be exploitable.

They'll generally be for,
    1- player created quests
    2- player events.

In fact, one of the major reasons why player made dungeons were an idea to begin with is RPers who wanted to make their own quests requested it. Among other features, like being able to place quest chests, etc.

Its why Port's overall strategy is confusing to me because they're promoting an RPer-requested feature, and on the other hand they seem to be pushing away RPers with some other game design changes.

Cordelayne and Dhanas like this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Chris has said many times they want to support player dungeons and player created content is what they want to focus on. Richard has said they need to be rewarding enough that players will participate no player currently wants to participate other than a few to build them. I don’t see how catering to player quests and roll players has any chance of sparking any serious interest.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, I'm just telling you that its exactly why it got its place on the schedule in the first place --- because it was suggested by people who wanted to create quests.

I agree, its true that the current strategy and approach towards it is confusing, but in concept, player-created quests would be similar to other MMOs which allow players to create their own missions/stories, like for instance The Foundry system that was created for Neverwinter and Star Trek Online. This gave players something to do after they finished the story. Create and play stories created by other players. Its also similar to player-created missions you see in offline RPGs like Shadowrun. This works in games where it does because it engages people who are interested in RPGs for storytelling over grinding.

But when a game pushes grinding over storytelling, the whole thing sort of loses its purpose.

Creating player made dungeons for grinding was just never going to work out, or be at all interesting if it did work out, that's just my opinion. I don't know what the devs think about it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Jaesun and Cordelayne like this.
  5. eli

eli Avatar

If the pendulum swings the other way, and player dungeons outpace UT, the inverse problem will confront this game.

Balance passes seesawing between these two dimensions of the problem will only provide temporary shifts in how we percieve reward.

What the game reward needs is way beyond this scope. Reward needs to be moved from the time-based measure of who can repeat a pattern the fastest for the longest amount of time, to something even remotely linked to performance.

6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

For me it’s simple hard risky content out paces less risky or low effort content. T2 totems in a player dungeon should not be more rewarding than t5-t6 content that shreds gear.

Upper tears should not be more rewarding than harder more risky content.

Ravenscar and Ryodin Stormwind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.