Where are we on game-changing weather?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kazeookami, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazeookami

kazeookami Avatar

Just what the subject says. What sort of impact does weather have on how the game is played, and how the game responds to the player?

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

3. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Other than if you have a weak PC you may lag a bit, no. In reality most games dont simulate weather at all or use it just for visual decoration like SotA. I think it could have effects like strong wind blowing on opposite direction to make you move a bit slower but sure there are many more important things in line to get fixed or added. Its a good idea to have weather that matters though

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

It's difficult to say when every idea will or can be ever actually done :(...
    [​IMG]
    I do think we still have meteor showers coming sometime in our future,
    "But who doesn't even know when" o_O~Time Lord~

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

@rebbieforever

Besides interesting weather effects like you mentioned, something the devs promised was that weather would interact with magic; so, for instance, rain would improve water magic, or enhance lightning spells; a dust storm would improve earth magic, etc. Aside from weather, magic could also interact with the environment, so you could jump in a river to douse a fire, or enhance lightning, or earthquakes could cause avalanches, or bushes could be set on fire. The devs once commented that wherever there is light coming down in a dungeon, standing in that spot would give you a bonus in sun magic. And by the way, magic combos still need to be put in the game, where you could mix fire and water to create steam and so on.

That's all really cool stuff that would be an impressive features for the game world and would attract players; and no I don't think anything else planned is really more important. In fact, I think the devs have been focusing on a lot of stuff lately that isn't that important -- just my opinion.

What I'm afraid of that kind of world interactivity might be delayed just because some players might complain it "interfered with their playstyle" and got in the way of grinding.

Nietzsche, Amelli and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Some day... some day... some day o_O...
    [​IMG]

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Hehe, meme city!

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  8. oplek

oplek Avatar

I don't understand the "most games don't XYZ" comments we've been getting lately. Maybe that's one way it could stand out from the crowd? Most games don't succeed either. Most restaurants don't have "endless breadsticks Tuesdays" either. But if it's been promoted, and you show up because of it, and you only get half a breadstick then the staff disappears, yeah... that's a problem. The restaurant is actually in the wrong.

SOTA should be a combination of two things. 1) Things that work in other games. 2) Innovative/new things that work in this game.

Amelli, Cordelayne, Bedawyn and 3 others like this.
  9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Well sun and moon are affected by time of day. As to Weather its in the game, but does not seem to change any other dynamics other then tree movement. There is however cosmic events that change things. like that of the comet that comes around once a year and affects creatures.

10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Tyga's new song ;)

[​IMG]

Time Lord and Vladamir Begemot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.