Taming Necklaces

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaath Windsong, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

From this afternoon's Build Notes:

Taming improvement – don’t allow an existing pet to be over-written by another when taming a new pet.

Uhh...this is an improvement? Unless I am missing something obvious, this is the worst idea ever... Now it is going to take a trillion Taming Necklaces to level Taming...to go with the trillion Taming Collars it already takes.

Of course, you could kill the pet and wait out the five minute rez timer...but waiting five minutes between tame attempts while you are trying to level Taming doesn't sound like an 'improvement' either.

Perhaps let us lock a necklace we don't wish to tame over and keep the old behavior as default?

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Couldn't you kill the pet and just use a small number of necklaces that you cycle through?

It does seem like an unnecessary change though.

Maybe they could implement a right click option to clear the necklace?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Jaath Windsong likes this.
  3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I'm going to craft necklaces... I have a feeling it will become a best seller... :p

[​IMG]

4. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

A right-click option clear the necklace would be awesome, too. Either way, as it is, the Kidd is right...

FrostII likes this.
  5. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

Now that I think about it...

• Killing the pets and using a small number of necklaces...will bump up against the 15 minute Summoning debuff because you have to summon a Tame to kill it. Yes, I know it gets less with skill, but I am largely talking about new Tamers here.
    • Using the right-click to clear option breaks the technique of taming higher level pets using lower level pets to tank them while you tame. This will not hurt high-level Tamers as bad, but it will again, crush lower level Tamers.
    • Putting 'Release Pet' into the existing pet right-click menu is begging for trouble. I am always in that menu adjusting my pet's behavior and forever clicking on the wrong option...I see this being worse than the current behavior of having to double-check your necklace while you tame (a habit that every Tamer develops, anyway).
    I like the idea...in concept, but in practice it is broken. All I can think of is going back to the old behavior and adding a right-click potion to lock a pet, like the Lock to Inventory option.

6. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Plan is to make it so can only overwrite if the necklace is not locked - may be in next patch

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

chris mentioned several possibilities when creating this jira. @wizardsmoke probably did what was fastest to complete, but that doesn't mean it can't be adjusted later.

Jaesun, Echondas and Jaath Windsong like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Not allowing collars to be over written was suggested by someone who must have just started taming and implemented by Some one who has not played a tamer.

I can see not allowing locked necklaces but one of the best features was being able to over write collars. Good for new players leveling skills and amazing for high end tamers trying to get tougher pets.

I tame a grizley bear and use it to tank a obsidian bear while trying to tame/heal my pet. But hey I’m done leveling taming all you did was screw everyone one else who hasn’t had that expierence yet .

Echondas, FrostII and Jaath Windsong like this.
  9. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

Love it, couldn't agree more.

I am glad to hear that this may just be a temporary situation, but I am more glad that I am not currently leveling Taming. :D

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’ve played a tamer since r32 this is a sad day for tamers. Well really r24 but don’t count pre persistence.

Echondas, FrostII and Jaath Windsong like this.
  11. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

...and not the first. I still hear "Suck it, Tamers!" every time I read the patch notes or play the game.

They have, however, been actually making an effort for the last couple patches, and that is something. I will take one step back, as long as it keeps coming with two steps forward. :D

12. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Chris said it would be for locked necklaces only.

13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

When?

14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I agree with you.

15. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

He told me in game today that it would probably be in the next patch.

Jaesun, Mac2 and Brass Knuckles like this.
  16. Storm Silverhand

Storm Silverhand Avatar

A Sad Day for high level Tamers , We Cant use our Tanks to Tame anymore , I do understand that low Level Tamers Tame over there Pets I have Done it More than Once but You Learn by Yr mistakes , if you cant then get another Skill, that is how it is . I make my in game living by other peoples mistakes , I don't Craft and I don't Trade in gold coto's etc ,
    You have not only nerfed my Taming you have also nerfed my income ! oh forgot im a 15X Gm tamer high is 152 low is 100

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Brass Knuckles likes this.
  17. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

The reason this was changed was because someone mentioned accidentally overwriting one of their high level pets while raising their Taming Skill during one of Chris's recent streams, so he threw together a quick survey during the stream to make the change or not and after sometime of taking votes the results for making the change versus not were overwhelming, so he put in motion the change, so this change like many others recently was directly related to Chris's (almost) daily streams and those that are able to attend them. Personally, like many others on this thread ,I liked that you could override Taming Necklaces as I periodically upgrade my tamed pets by overwriting them with a higher tier version of themselves as my Taming Skill raises.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  18. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Again, it's going to be changed to locked whistles only.

19. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

I think it would had been a better option to have an optional choice to lock the necklace to prevent accidental "disasters" rather than making them by default unable to overwrite

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.