Endless daytime patches...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raidian, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raidian

Raidian Avatar

Hate to be a bitchin' Betty but these middle of the day mystery patches that keep happening are a real nuisance. I can't count the times we've been in a group ready to do Upper Tears and someone joins the group on a newer patch in a different instance. Then everyone has to log out and patch. Half the people don't come back, then we're searching for replacements, rinse, repeat...How about doing a weekly patch unless it's critical, or maybe during times when there is low population? Thanks!

2. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I wonder how many people would be cool with like a midnight patch window. They do the release, but it doesn't drop until the scheduled window.

Raidian likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hell, I'm just glad to see them fixin' stuff. ;)

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Midnight for who?

nimueCW, Ravalox, Gia2 and 8 others like this.
  5. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

It could be any time really. How about 8am CST? The team is awake and, if there's any fall out, they can deal with it and we all know when to expect the patches.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I honestly don't think that there is any convenient time for patches. I do think that getting the fixes published outweighs the inconvenience though.

7. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

As @Barugon said, midnight for who? This is a world wide game, while some of us are in bed sleeping peacefully others are up and around. There is no down time. I say drop the patches when they can and be done with it.

8. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Who defines what is "critical"?

Personally I sign in every morning,just for the Oracle check-in. That pretty much takes care of any patch that I have missed.

9. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

As long as they keep fixing and patching I am happy for it and every fix is important to someone who plays the game, even if not something affecting me directly or doesnt affect me fully

10. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I second reducing the patch spam. It's fine for those who seem to live in the game, don't have work, familes, etc.. I'm close to giving up on playing the game because I have limited windows to play and every time I go to play there's a swathe of patches. Now days I often close it when I see the patching start again and load another game instead.

GivenUp likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well imo there's a lot going on right now. Lots of things being looked at to improve the game. I don't imagine patching will always happen like this but personally I don't want it to stop as I've mentioned before. Too much needs to get fixed, addressed, implemented, changed, whatever still. It's perhaps now or never. We take it however we can get it. Yeah I know not the usual way perhaps but really we have a great dev team working really hard for us.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Time Lord likes this.
  13. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

They never changed how they handle the monthley updates.
    It's like in the early alpha days, only 5 years later.
    Obvious bugs, missing and broken features, unpolished content, the list goes on.

And as we all know Chris only makes what he likes...
    So I do not think it will get any better. In fact it has been getting worse the last few months after they have no office anymore.

Cordelayne and GivenUp like this.
  14. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

This will continue as long as Port has no dedicated internal staff to QA. It was always barebones, but in the past year without anyone it has been pretty bad.

I know some don’t care about a ton of patches, so perhaps this has just been accepted by some. I wouldn’t count on new players being as forgiving, so a solution would be great. I personally don’t care much but I could see how it reflects on newer players (another patch so soon after release??? Don’t they test anything?).

But without any new staff to do this stuff, get used to the constant patching after each release.

Cordelayne and Arcanoxer like this.
  15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

This same stuff happens in huge funded and staffed games as well. My friend preordered bioshock 2 and when he got it home, had to download 2 hours of stuff before he could play it.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I've noticed that Steam patches are much smaller now, I think they finally got that working so we don't have to re-download the whole file anymore, if there's a small change in it.

Nietzsche likes this.
  17. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Yes, patches happen in every game. But not like this - SotA has multiple patches after every single monthly release. No other mmo or game I know of does this to the extent of SotA - other games usually get the actual first patch tested and released properly, with an extra patch the exception instead of here, where multiple patches are the rule.

It just gives the feeling of “we didn’t/can’t actually test our release code before releasing things because of an arbitrary monthly date we keep holding ourselves to, without the staff to QA”. Again, not the biggest deal in the world to me, but I get how it looks to others.

Arcanoxer, Cyin and Cordelayne like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

As far as game testing, we are the test and the bug reporters, some more than others here. I only happen to see a bug, maybe every 6 months or so :( I'm not very good at spotting them...

As far as patches, somehow, I'm not seeing such a patch difficulty as you describe. I play from Thailand which I would say has "good internet connectivity" even from the remote city I live in. Patches from here are swift and not as numerous as you describe.

Maybe some players prefer fewer but larger patches with longer patch times?

I tend to call our SOTA Game's faults when I see them, but you must have something that's causing your patch irritations that's out of the ordinary because it seems out of the ordinary (to me).
    This is just my observations from the other side of the world from our gaming servers.

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Your location doesn’t change the number of patches. Eight and counting since this release. If you are only logging in once a week it may seem like fewer because those patches all get lumped together, but play every day the first two weeks after a release and you will notice.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Or maybe I have so many other issues with our game the patches just go un-noticed being mixed within the blur of it all? :D~TL~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.