How to Own a Home in SotA Without Spending Money (Updated Feb 2020)

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Bayard, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Hi there @Ricky J Roach. You should know that this information is a year old and a lot has changed about home ownership in Shroud of the Avatar. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Ricky J Roach it's much easier now. Finish one of the Outskirts and tell the main npc of that area "deed" and you have a row home.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  3. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

I updated it 30 minutes before your post. ;)

I do appreciate everyone's watchfulness though. Cheers!

Jaesun, Jason_M and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  4. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Ah, nice! It's a really great thing when authors maintain their work. It's appreciated :)

5. Legendx11

Legendx11 Avatar

Im new and want a castle!!! Whats the best and fastest way to achieve this? Also where can I buy the lot deeds??? I see the houses for sale all the time, but only add ons do I see lot deeds... Must I wait for loto? And I see tickets being sold on player vendors, are these legit? If so whats a good price to pay? Thanks 4 any info you could give me... Legendx11

6. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

First the raffle isn’t being held anymore. It was discontinued a while back. The tickets you see on player vendors, and NPC vendors if they haven’t been removed for some reason, have no value in game. They are being sold to people who want a record of the raffle that was previously held for that release. (When raffles were being held, they were held on a release by release basis. Tickets were valid for that release only.)

(This is a very high level, quick and dirty housing discussion. Check housing posts for more detail or the player instructions to see how housing really works.)

Housing requires two items a lot deed and the house itself. The lot is placed on a vacant housing space that is found in towns scattered around Novia and the Hidden Vale. After the deed is placed a house can be placed on it. So if you have a town lot deed, a row house or a village house or a town hose can be placed on the lot. But a city or other level house can’t be placed. Castles are the highest level lot deed and house. Place anywhere lot deeds aren’t available anymore, only POT castles deeds can be found and they are very, very expensive. Check the crown store, I think they should be in there. You’ll see how much the deed is. And then you’ll need a castle to go on the lot.

And you’ll need to find a POT to place it in. And that might be as hard to find as getting the deed. Each lot deed takes up space in the town, and castle deeds take up the most space. Some POT owners might not want to allocate that much space to a castle lot. It is up to the individual owners.

It’s worth noting that lot deeds are upgradable. If you truly want a castle, you can slowly upgrade the deed to a castle. You’ll end up spending the same amount of money (well crowns in game).

Also there are smaller size house that resemble the castle style, such as keeps. Check out the housing section of the crown store.

Good luck.

7. Legendx11

Legendx11 Avatar

POT = Player Owned Town? And if you say that's all that are available then why have I found tons of open castle lots on non POT? Are they just there to piss off players who want them? Or must I buy from the store, or pay real money? I'm so lost!!!

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It's easy to see why you might feel lost. Home ownership in this game has changed and has had to evolve into what it is now. Since purchased housing was a major contributor to the funding this game received it has become a major upheaval in many aspects to make some of it free now. I am not sure that makes sense to most who are new to the game but being crowd funded is responsible for the turmoil felt.

The easiest way and most expensive way to have your castle is to purchase with real money the lord of the isle bundle. It is pricey but it will help fund the game and has lots of things included in it.

To find a place to put it the easiest way is to mention here or in universe chat in game you want a place to put your castle. You have to have the lot deed to claim a lot. There are different lot deeds. Most are player owned towns deeds. The lord of the isle deed allows 1 year tax free in an NPC town then not tax free. After that point to be tax-free you would have to move. You can move easily by placing your fully decorated home on the property manager. Then unclaimed the lot. Then when you find a place to move you open property manager after claiming the new lot and place your home there. I do know it seems complicated but we are all here to help.

The financial choice is yours. I pledged in 2013 for my properties and I'm still here playing the game after all those years. If I can ever help I'm Majoria in game.

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Single player offline. Offline all things are available.

While if you want to play the mmo online then I’d recommend lowering your target until you have played abut more.
    Where a village lot with a smaller castle house could be got after about 40h (half if you get help).
    Through doing the whole main quest line you get a village deed.
    Then you can get this
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Small_Old_Keep_(Village_Home)

From that home you could plot how to take over the world.

Where you can buy crowns from other players for gold.
    Then with crowns you can upgrade your deed.
    Until you have a city sized deed.
    Where all current houses in game are maximum city sized.
    So the largest castle currently in game can be placed on a city sized lot.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

When the game was first designed, people were expected to live in either player run towns or NPC towns. Npcs are those like Ardoris or Aerie, or the Brittany towns. Player run towns are towns that aren’t in the story line, but have some npcs in them. I may have gotten the definition wrong. When these towns were being planned they were to be the only housing scenes available, so they put a lot in for every person who bought pledge packages with lot deeds as part of the pledge. Their goal was that every lot owner would be able to place their deeds in these two types of towns.

Then people asked for player owned towns. Port thought they might sell about 15 of them, but so many people wanted them that eventually over 300were sold before they stopped selling them. (They are for sale again and will be placed I. The episode 2 lands.)

The end result is that there are a lot of towns with empty lots that should have been claimed by there owners. But many of those people moved into POTs. So there are a bunch of lots throughout the lot deed tiers that aren’t claimed and aren’t likely to be claimed.

And that’s why there are a lot of castle lots, among nay others, that are sitting empty. And the aren’t likely to be ever claimed.

BTW, Port learned there lesson. There are expected to be many player run towns in Episode 2, if any at all. I expect that there isn’t going to be a lot housing in NPC towns. Most of the housing is likely to be in POTs, but I suspect that they may provide housing elsewhere in the world for people who don’t want to live in POTs.

Alioth and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  11. Ocho008

Ocho008 Avatar

I have completed the Love, Courage and Truth quest lines and received no deed .... have i missed something?

12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

The oracle questline. Report to the large oracle confirmatory in central brit.

13. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Like Alley Oop said for village lot + village house but if you havent got the row one you got to go to captain burnes in highvale outskirts and open a dialogue with him and type deed and hit enter

14. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

So I have this Wood and Plaster three story row house in my inventory. Seems reasonable to want to find a row house and settle down. Even found a town with some open row lots where I am currently squatting. I have had my gold up to 15k at times. What exactly do I do to get a deed to claim one of these places? I am also sitting on 200 COTA's from buying a physical limited release. I think I'm at level 35 from quests. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Go to one of the Outskirts areas. Speak to the person in charge there and do all the quests they ask you to do. When you receive a banner, they should also give you a Row Lot deed. If they don’t, just type the word deed, and you will get one!

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to the game. I recently did get the deed and really it did not take long to get the row deed. I went to Solace Bridge outskirts and did just a few quests and ended up getting the deed from Kinsey. Just talk to everyone there and it won't take much time at all. I'm Majoria in game if I can help.

17. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

I got a Banner Of Courage and didn't even know I got it. But going back to Burnes and saying Deed worked. Thanks Much!

Jaesun likes this.
  18. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

So now that I have a deed do I have to find an open row lot to match the three story house I have in my inventory? I was invited to a POT where they have open 2 story lots. What happens if I claim one of those?

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Find a Row Lot and claim it. It then puts down a default house. You can then select change house and select the 3 story one. And you are all done! :cool:

vulcanjedi and majoria70 like this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

congratulations again on getting your deed. Of course if you look around to find the player owned town you like the feel of you will find that many have lots set to claimable by anyone. The Town Cryer can direct you to one or you can hit the p key on your keyboard to see the thin tall stream of smoke of all vacant lots. Then click on the lot stone or lot sign and select claim and as mentioned change house to select any house in your inventory. I'm Majoria in game if I can ever help. Have fun.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    vulcanjedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.