Any SotA presence at E3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MightyUnclean, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Is Portalarium present at E3? Seems like a good place to advertise for Episode 2 with the advertising money they've saved up from not having to pay for an office.

digriz, arcdevil and Time Lord like this.
  2. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I'm not sure you know how prohibitively expensive it is to both be a booth OR attend E3. Heh. The only pricing I could find is from 2013 and it's $10,000 per day.

It's one of those "if you have to ask, you probably cannot afford it" conventions.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    HoustonDragon, Elwyn, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  3. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Ahh, well, keep sending those e-mails then.

4. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

If you really want to be involved with helping to introduce new players, simply post about it on your own social media as well as share what others post about it :) Don't have an account? Make one with your game persona! No need to get personal.

Here's some places i tend to go:

Twitter

Facebook

5. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Have they upped the advertising at all since closing their office? I remember reading something on here about an e-mail campaign or two.

arcdevil and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

7. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

LOL... I just p’d me pants...

8. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

I heard MySpace was still taking advertisements and if you do the ultimate tier then Justin Timberlake will sing you a song like:

Kidding, enjoy your day gamers!

V/R Brickbat

9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I believe Chris has done 4 or 5 mailings so far at over 100k emails being sent each time. Many are going to multiple people, as that, overall, helps get people interested in coming back.

10. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

OK. I don't know how much of an effect it's going to have to send e-mails to the same people over and over, but I guess it doesn't cost much, at least. With the money they're saving from not having an office, have they done any new advertising to bring in fresh players?

Jaesun, Arcanoxer, arcdevil and 2 others like this.
  11. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

It’s actually a common marketing campaign technique. Multiple emailings have been shown to provide good returns, with people requiring a couple of nudges to come back.

The mailings are also targeted with specific messages. There’s been one for taming, one about combat, I think one about performance, etc.

12. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Has there been a noticeable bump in players with these e-mail campaigns? In Steam numbers or otherwise?

arcdevil likes this.
  13. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Actually yes, there have been a number of people coming back. But I guess it's all relative. I believe there have a few thousand or so that have started new characters or played old ones. They are able to pull the metrics for just new or returning people, filtering out playing accounts that create a new character.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

That's good news, then.

15. oplek

oplek Avatar

Apparently, those returning have coincidentally elusively used Port's launcher instead of steam.

16. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I think people are getting tired of the larger patches via Steam. Port's launcher has been better in both patch size, and download time for nearly a year. That is especially helpful with mid-release patches that are relatively tiny compared to Steams version.

Even with the data they give us in the API, you can see a recent increase in activity.

[​IMG]

Of course, there's no way to know if it has anything to do with advertising or even if there is a single reason.

Elwyn, Arcanoxer, Jaesun and 6 others like this.
  17. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Probably 1/2 of the people in my guild don't use the steam client. It's not a coincidence. @that_shawn_guy got it right.

18. oplek

oplek Avatar

I can see the Steam frustration for recurring players, but not 100% of those people who haven't been using Steam because they weren't playing. We should have seen some kind of bump on the Steam charts, unless 100% of the people who received the emails just happened to be the exact people who were already using the launcher beforehand. It's understood that most people don't use Steam, however, it is a representative sample set.

Login rewards, on the other hand, would produce that effect... people who log in, collect, log out.

We're also talking about the same timeframe when the leaderboards went up, and people started making themselves non-anonymous at a higher rate, so they would be more trackable, and thus show up on your chart. There's a difference between having more players, and having more of the existing players discoverable. On other other hand, the Steam numbers don't care whether a person is "anonymous" in-game.

Not really.

Amelli and arcdevil like this.
  19. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Yeah, I can understand that most players don't use Steam, but shouldn't there have been SOME significant bump in Steam numbers if the e-mail push is bringing players back? I mean, it's showing a gain of a couple people in the average players stat over two months. I am just thinking that if they're saving $10K/mo. or whatever it is in rent, they should be coming out with some innovative new marketing ideas to draw in new players.

Month Avg. Players Gain % Gain Peak Players
    Last 30 Days 109.4 +0.3 +0.29% 226
    May 2019 109.1 +1.6 +1.48% 203

arcdevil likes this.
  20. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

@MightyUnclean I play regularly. I've just seen more people running around doing stuff. I've also seen loads of names I haven't seen before. So, either we have a healthy flow of new players or loads of people are making alts that are re-learning how to play (sarcasm on that second part).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE stats. But, just seeing new players is honestly more than enough for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.