Warding and Attunment Question ...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by addrox, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addrox

addrox Avatar

Attunment and warding question ...

If warding takes my attunement into the negative does that negative value get calculated (actually worse than "0") ???

Looking for a post from someone who actually knows please.

added on 6/18
    Editing post ... so this does not get LOST in the mix ... so your telling me ... this melee love by adding wards and resistance to magic ... DEVs are telling me, a melee, who already has like 60 attunement in most magic skills I will go into the negative and have even LESS attunement than I started with if I dont ward and resist skills?

So I need to level up schools of magic really FKN high ... to then ward and get the kool benefits of resisting a magic ... SO PLAY MAGE TO RESIST A MAGE later ...

WHAT?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It also subtracts from resistance as well. Half of that negative value is removed from your resistance.

4. addrox

addrox Avatar

So I might just as well get a very high attunement and call it a day ... then I got the school if i ever want to use it, attunement for defense and no negative affects anywhere.

5. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Aside from Death warding (As I don't use death magic, everthing else seemed so useless compared to the negative effects, I just ignored them. Am I missing something?

Chrystoph Reis, Gravidy and Montaigne like this.
  6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It's meant for melee, not so much for mages. I won't likely ever use warding/resistances.

7. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

I couldn't come up with a reason to invest. Too many negative effects for me and my bow.

Fenris

Fenrus MacRath and Jaesun like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I had 80 fire attunement, so I got Fire Warding to 80. With Fire Proof at 80, I have 100 static fire resistance. I can always drop Fire Warding if I decide its not worth it.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

So... If an enemy's combat spell formula takes into account my warding resistance and my negative attunement, how does warding result in any benefit?

This whole system seems needlessly over complicated.

10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Warding skills give +1 resistance and -1 attunement. It takes 2 points of attunement for 1 resistance.

This means at 100 warding, you get :
    +100 resistance
    -100 attunement (= -50 resistance)

Giving you a net +50 resistance.
    Basically warding gives you 0.5 resistance in the end, but reduces your spells effectiveness.

Mac2, addrox and Jaesun like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The calculations, according to @Chris, directly use attunement / 2 + resistance, so half of your attunement is treated like resistance. I had 80 fire attunement and after getting 80 fire warding that leaves me with 0 / 2 + 80. Add to that the 20 resist from fire proof for a total of 100.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Right. But if negative attunement is a thing, and that is being used in calculations, I would presume that is also in spell damage calculations. So hypothetically, if I had no points in fire except for Warding at GM, I'd have -100 attunement, and +50 resistance. I don't recall the exact formula, but if someone throws a fire arrow at me, and the math is using some form of [(enemy attunement - my attunement) - my warding] in the damage calculation, and my attunement is negative, that's not enough warding to make up for the negative attunement, and so it's not only worse than just leveling the fire tree, it's actually worse than if I didn't put any points into the fire tree at all.

I'm not trying to argue that this is the case; I'm presuming there's something I'm missing. (And, I know the combat math is more complex than that, which my be part of what I'm missing.)

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

-100 / 2 + 100 = 50.

I have a screenshot of the formula from Chris' livestream that I'll post later.

Jaesun and addrox like this.
  14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Ok so here goes a couple of examples.

Attunement = top 10 skills/passives total level /10
    So to get 100 attunement I need an average of 100 levels in 10 different skills/passives in the tree.

So ex.1: I have 100 attunement and 0 in the warding skill. I have a total of 50pts of resistance, and my spells will hit hard(ish)

Ex.2: I have 0 attunement and 100 warding skill (my attunement has now dropped to -100). I have a total of 50 points of resistance (-100 attunement / 2 = -50, and 100 warding =100, so 100-50=50). My spells hit like wet noodles.

Ex.3: I have 100 attunement and 100 warding, my attunement gets dropped to 0, and now I have 100pts of resistance (0 attunement / 2 = 0, 100 warding = 100 resistance, 0 + 100 = 100). My spells will hit average.

This is how warding and attunement interact together, so someone who is a fighter and wants to negate magic against him would get 100 attunement or more and 100 warding, and would get insane amounts of resistances.

In your example you state -100 attunement and +50 resistance but that is not the case, it is -100 attunement and +100 resistance, and the combat formula resembles casters attunement - (target attunement / 2) - resistance.

When someone says you get 1 point of resistance per 2 points of attunement, it is simply in reference to this formula, where the targets attunement is worth half of his resistance if both had the same value.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It's argued elsewhere that resistance is half your attunement. So if your warding were at 100, and no other points in the tree, that'd be a -100 attunement, and +50 resistance (warding plus attunement/2, or 100 + -100/2)

So in the combat math you posted, [casters attunement - (target attunement / 2) - resistance] that would be [casters attunement - (-100/ 2) - 50], or casters attunement +50 -50.

Or, is it that your resistance from attunement is not added to your actual resistance value? So that you have an "effective resistance" of half your attunement (as a result of the combat math) which is separate from your actual resisatance?

16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This. This is exactly it.

Otherwise your attunement would always count double in the formula (once to reduce enemies attunement, and then the other to calculate your resistance).

Attunement / 2 is the "effective resistance" as a result from the combat math, like you said.

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, okay. Everybody has been saying "resistance is half your attunement" for so long as shorthand, I though that was how your base resistance was calculated.

Barugon likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

When you look at /stats, your resistance values don't include half of your attunement. Your attunement is treated separately in the combat math.

19. addrox

addrox Avatar

Off topic @Barugon do you use linux? if so which one do you prefer especially for gaming? I hear linux is making strides towards gaming.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I prefer Fedora but there's an issue between Unity and SSL that prevents me from seeing heraldry, so I'm using Ubuntu.

Chrystoph Reis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.