Tartarus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mystarr, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well we have been spoiled and it is fine to ask but as we know asking does not always get us anywhere. I have been here since 2013 and it is such a relief that recently we have had some things happen. I can't tell you how difficult it has been to wait and hope in this game, well I'm sure I don't have to tell you since your name is GivenUP. I never did give up but it is not easy to not give up sometimes.

What if we did give up though? Well perhaps none of the good things happening with the game at this time would happen. Maybe the Devs would have given up. Speculations of course ;). So while yes they can be unprofessional seeming to to some and yes perhaps they don't understand or know how to do it any other way. All in all they are doing it. Doing what? Making this game and trying to improve it. Perhaps they are reacting and just crazy to do anything to save this game that there is time to think about professionalism and they just react and do anything to save this game.

So I don't say how I think about it is right but to me going with the flow of things is what I'm doing. You must carry on to do what you think is best because who knows perhaps you will get things to a better place for you and other players.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  2. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I wish I knew how full of crap my parents were when they would tell me to "act like an adult." All that means is acting like a child as an adult.

3. Stevvcash

Stevvcash Avatar

Pretty unprofessional imo

Nawww and arcdevil like this.
  4. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Wait wait wait, let me get this straight.

So Chris, who didn’t want this new area to be public, then goes ahead and makes it public on a very public livestream on a very public platform?
    As in he literally creates it public on twitch, on the fly, no pre-planned, organised testing area, that’s what I’m reading from comments here?

Really? Honestly that’s the sort of stuff that should be NDA on a test server away from public eyes. Make sure it works then toot your horn about it with a show and tell on a livestream. And also test server so no one can obtain an advantage when a bug arises, that Chris ‘can’t be bothered’ doing a server roll back on (like the chest bug mentioned here).

And you all wonder why Shroud gets bad press! Chris is offering them fresh negatives to write up about on a silver platter doing things like this! In not good press, it shouldn’t have been live-streamed.

*face palm* *head desk* *lots of alcohol please to forget this mess*

5. Stevvcash

Stevvcash Avatar

Idk what to say, I kinda throw my hands up in frustration. Kinda feels like US government at this point. We can cry and scream about all the blatant problems but the powers up top don’t care about the masses. Just their own self preservation.

6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I really think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. NDA? Seriously?

Stop. Go outside. Smell a flower...or play a different game for a while. Something.

7. oplek

oplek Avatar

This is from their 2018 SEC filing.

The abrupt and unannounced, near-complete abandonment of their primary communication hub in favor of a non-searchable time-inefficient and vastly inferior method of disseminating information does not conform to their stated goals, particularly when that communication hub was integral to a comprehensive community involvement for a half-decade.

This is unprofessional and inexcusable.

No one is calling for the end of the streaming. That is a lie. Please stop lying. Many people have offered ways of compromising on this issue, all of which are ignored, because Portalarium, apparently, must be defended at all costs, inundating us with red herrings, such as the fact he fixes bugs on stream. This is irrelevant. It is not a choice between Chris streaming, and nothing. This is a false dichotomy. Please stop using this fallacy. The amount of time it takes to continue some semblance of utilizing their chosen primary communication hub - for some bulletted information on what is now the derelict ruins of Chris's blog - is trivial compared to the total time sunk unto harvesting bits as a new source of revenue.

Once again - if a restaurant promotes unlimited breadstick Tuesdays, and then adbrutply - and without a word - vanishes... that is not us being "spoiled". That is the company failing to honoring something they promoted to draw in the customers.

Nawww, Xandra7, Bow Vale and 5 others like this.
  8. Oracle Watcher

Oracle Watcher Avatar

Bzzt. Heated disccussion detected. Remember to avoid personal attacks!

Sara Dreygon, Jaesun, K1000 and 4 others like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Amelli

The thing people are complaining about isn't that work-in-progress was shown off. That's not really anything exciting... game companies do it all the time, and the devs would use telethons to do this all the time. They just used to keep people more updated through the forums or updates, too, while now those means of communication haven't gotten as much attention. Many players dislike that they have to rely on the livestream to get information about the game development.

Then, the new thing here is that some people teleported to Chris during a stream and he let them stay. So the complaint there isn't that the work is shown off, but accessed by other players before its fully tested, and then those players can exploit the bugs. (My view is just that there are bugs in "tested" content all the time and this isn't really an exceptional case)

10. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

What game companies? Shroud is the first released game I know of to publicly stream WIP unreleased and untested content live for the whole world to see.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't watch many livestreams other than Shrouds, but I've read a lot of dev blogs on games in development. They preview what they're working on. Not everyone does this.. some have more closed development processes than others, but its not uncommon.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  13. dragonswatchz

dragonswatchz Avatar

i love the live streams and as someone pointed out, people point out bugs and if Atos can fix them on the fly, he does... The tartatus thing i thought was a fun qirk that i still enjoy visiting as it gets completed. :)

14. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

It is. It isn't streaming work on art. It affords those who may exploit to very easily identify vulnerabilities.

Amelli likes this.
  15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

So... SotA has evolved beyond the mortal coil of agile development to UFtTA (Untested Faster than Thought Agile) development. Got it.

*grabs some marshmallows*

This dumpster fire ought to be fun

16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I apologize, my mind went meme crazy (more so than it already is ;)) when I read that a select group of players were allowed access to this new dungeon, exploiting a high end chest, that gave deeds and artifacts on the live server. Which by the way, you had to be watching the Twitch stream to find out about.

Is this correct? Is my understanding of this accurate? Or was this on the Q/A server. If it was on the Q/A then no big deal, but if it was on the live server that really isn't cool. I mean, are people really ok with this, if that is the case?

Nawww, Jaesun, Xandra7 and 5 others like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Cordelayne

No it was live. I think its a bit of an exaggerated description, though. Nothing was given to a select group of players. As I understand it, people basically teleported to Chris and he didn't have his "no teleport" on, which was a goof. But for whatever reason, he decided not to kick them out. And other people started teleporting to players there; anyone was open to do it, so it wasn't "select". I found out about it not because I was watching the stream, but because I saw people on my friends list there.

Maybe this was a bad idea, but I think we ought to stay away from exaggerations that suggest something more nefarious was going on. I already gave my view on this all, which is that there's constantly buggy stuff on live anyway.

Boris Mondragon, Xee and Cordelayne like this.
  18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Thank you for the clarification redfish. I wasn't trying to insinuate that anything nefarious happened, rather to ascertain the truth of what actually transpired.

Chris made a mistake, these things happen, we're all human. Yet this mistake allowed individuals to exploit a bug for their own gain, also human nature, if rather unvirtous.

Does no one else worry about this "fly by night" style of development, where anything goes and to hell with the consequences? Even if the mistake had good intentions?

While I agree with you redfish that "buggy stuff" is constantly on the live server, I'm not aware of any other bugs, past or present, that allowed players to get deeds and artifacts.

Jaesun, Xandra7, arcdevil and 4 others like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Cordelayne

As I understand it, it was a chest that didn't have anything special about it except a higher than normal drop % for things that normally drop, but which people still had to farm over and over to get stuff because often nothing special dropped. Devs nerfed the chest when they found out.

Xee likes this.
  20. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I get that my dear friend. :)

However, it doesn't change the incontrovertible fact that a decision was made allowing for players to exploit a bug to great personal gain. Is this the way we can expect things to be moving forward? I could understand it back in R1 before persistence, but now? I mean am I insane to be concerned about stuff like this, so far along in development? Maybe I am...maybe I am...

Xandra7, Dhanas, arcdevil and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.