Taming & training exotic mounts

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by redfish, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

There's been some talk about having mounts other than horses when riding mounts formally comes in the game. Usually the suggestion is to do this through the Add-on store.

Possibly, they could do some non-horse mounts through Add-on, but personally I think they should be very careful about how they do it because IMO some mounts should generally be considered more "exotic" than others, in that you expect the average low-level player will go riding around on a Horse (or other "non-exotic" mounts the devs decide on, like Oxen). Having more "exotic" mounts would be more special, for players who have invested time into the game systems.

I think the way to gear the game towards this is to tie the mount system into the Taming mechanics and have a special skill trees for Riding or Husbandry or whatever else.

- You tame an animal. (Taming)
    - You train it as a mount. (Husbandry & Riding?)
    - You gain skills to ride mounts of increasing certain levels. (Taming & Riding?)
    - You can give both pets and mounts food buffs with food appropriate to the animal, ie Obsidian Bears won't eat cabbage.

This way, if you see a player riding around on "Psionic Shadow Panthers" or what have you, you know that they've leveled themselves up in the respective skill trees. And its only because they've leveled themselves that they're riding such a badass mount. Secondly, it gives a mechanic to turn already tamable creatures into ridable ones. For example, some of the large Boars and Bears that are tameable in game could be converted into ridable creatures through Husbandry skills. Then, only people who have leveled up sufficiently in Riding could ride them.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Some exotic mounts.

Panthers (these are mythologized and have a lot of lore behind them even going in the Medieval era)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Goats
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bears
    [​IMG]

Tigers
    [​IMG]

Wolves (Wargs)
    [​IMG]

Stags or reindeer
    [​IMG]

Non-exotic.

Oxen.
    [​IMG]

Camels
    [​IMG]

Water buffalo, muskox, yak, etc.
    [​IMG]

Donkeys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sea-mounts.

Dolphins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sea-panther
    [​IMG]

Sea-goat
    [​IMG]

Sea-horse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sea-dragon (pistrix)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (note that all of the above chimeric sea mounts are generally referred to as ketos/ketea in Greek myth, the Latinized version being cetus/cetea, this is sometimes also translated in Latin as pistrix/pistrices, but pistrix typically refers specifically to the sea-dragon)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Jaesun, Time Lord and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Where is the Ki rin??!? Best mount only for MEN! :D

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

whatever it takes to get hamster mounts.

:)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Taming level required 200
    Husbandry level required 200
    Riding level required 200
    Eats only gems and COTOs

Jaesun and Time Lord like this.
  6. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

I would to be able to ride atop a wyvern into battle.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

If we ever get air travel, like flying our airships around; that kind of thing might be cool. So, for instance, I imagine getting into "air battles" just as one would get into "sea battles." You're flying your airship, and you get a random encounter where some imps land on your deck, or some giant roc swoops by, or a dragon attacks.

Just for our fighting on land, I think its a bit of a wasted concept.

But it is kind of what I was thinking about when I mentioned sea mounts. I remember in U4, one of the encounters was Nixies. They were kind of lame in that game, IMO. But imagine Nixies rising from the ocean's depths riding dolphins, or seahorses, or some other sea mounts.

Perashim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.