Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Unable to log in to online game

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by giric, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giric

giric Avatar

1. Title: Unable to log in to online game
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3. Blocker? YES!
    4. Details: trying to log in to my online game, but I ALWAYS get one of two results: Result 1: game begins loading the scene, gets to 94% then returns a [PELICAN] error ( http://prntscr.com/o1svkt ). Result 2: Game sits on the loading screen ( http://prntscr.com/o1ssa9 ) forever with no counter (XX%) or text ([scene name]: Building map etc) on the lower left hand corner. This has been happening for 3 days now. Last time I was actually connected my game crashed due to complete loss of internet (ISP errors), when it came back I found the above happening
    5. Steps to Reproduce: No idea.. I just try to login and this is what happens...
    6. User Specs:
      CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16322
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740

2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Given a few recent posts, can check windows update and check you dont have some half failed updates or any outstanding ones? if so, it would be worth getting them sorted and on, as it seems there has been some fruityness and the cure so far was windows patches

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

An additional suggestion would be to start on the overworld map instead the scene you "logged out". (there is a button)
    As your game crashed on your last connection your avatar might be in a strange condition within the scene. (e.g. half sunken in the ground and that way loading fails)

4. giric

giric Avatar

I have tried logging into the overworld map - same results. Currently going through and fixing old failed windows updates (only 3 of them, most recent from 13th Feb - actually before I even started playing SotA, but hey I'll try anything to get back in game!)

5. giric2

giric2 Avatar

UPDATE:
    still no joy logging in, however directly after the latest failed attempt, I went and created another account on the SotA website, and WITHOUT closing the program I was able to login successfully with the new account!

So, obviously there is a problem somewhere on the server with my main account...

is there anyone that I should contact to fix this? or just hope and pray someone sees this post?

6. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

I've looked through the logs. Definitely seeing dropped packets. The pattern I'm seeing looks like the work of a virus program "sequestering" suspicious packets. Could also be a QoS "enhancement" program. Hope this helps some.

Jaesun and liz_the_wiz like this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Are you running an anti virus app? Also do you have your firewall permissions set to allow Shroud of the Avatar?

8. giric

giric Avatar

only AV is windows defender. (has been run/scanned. Anti-Malware has also been scanned - both zero detections)
    No programs/apps have been installed since the trouble began.
    SotA has been un/re-installed twice.
    All ports are forwarded/opened in router/modem/firewall.
    SotA has always been allowed in firewall.
    Modem/router have been hard cycled (turned off and back on) multiple times.
    ran Windows update several times.

Main account (2 characters, one of which is my main with a fair bit of money spent, other is brand new and added for testing) simply will not load.
    I can log in, but then [pelican] or otherwise sits on loading screen with no text at all (see OP above).

2nd account (1 char, brand new) loads fine with no problems at all.

I have tried both accounts separately with closing the client completely between logins, as well as in the same client by returning to main menu and changing login details. Always with the same result (2nd account logs in and loads the game perfectly, main account logs in then hangs).

Via an e-mail ticket, had a support staff member physically re-locate my main char to a different location. Same result.

So far, the ONLY things I haven't tried yet are:
    Completely formatting my computer and re-installing windows followed by re-installing everything else (absolutely, totally, final last resort action);
    Contacting my ISP (seriously doubt this would accomplish anything as I am able to log in and play on a 2nd account);
    Asking if my main character (and associated items/purchases) can be transferred to other account (no guarantee same issue won't happen to new account, even if it is somehow possible).

Jaesun likes this.
  9. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

A system admin successfully logged into your account and moved your character to a new location as requested. The fact that an admin can log into your account makes it less likely to be a data issue specific to one character. Also, the logs from your sessions show packet loss early on - at the start of the application. That's really good evidence of network trouble. Either outright packet blocking (selective), or there is a routing problem.
    Also, in addition to the networking trouble, the screen-shot you provided showed a load screen stuck at "Loading". (with no load percentage.) That's a good indication that the application is having trouble loading data from the local drive. (That's not a network problem.) Both of these issues combined lead me to think there is a local software/hardware issue at play here. (Not an ISP issue.)

Jaesun likes this.
  10. giric

giric Avatar

ok then. as stated I have re-installed the entire program completely several times.
    Is there any other local data storage locations that can be deleted and perhaps force a refresh from the server?

the fact that I can successfully connect with one account, and not the main leads me to think there is a local data issue specific to one character ie: corrupted local files or am I missing your point?

11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

well.. under c:\users\<you>\appdata\locallow\portalarium and c:\users\<you>\appdata\roaming\portalarium there are folders you could remove, as well as in the registry Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Portalarium

(assuming you arent on steam) you could zap all that, and all local stuff is gone.. (or rename those areas and it would act like its gone) and that youve not used it before

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Possibly try a dns flush:

To flush the DNS cache in Windows 10 please follow these steps:
    1. Right Click on the Start Icon.
    2. Click on Command Prompt.
    3. The Windows Command Prompt Window will appear. Type in: ipconfig /flushdns. and press ENTER.
    4. You should receive the following message: WindowsIP Configuration. Successfully flushed the DNSResolver Cache.
    Don’t know if that may help though.

13. giric

giric Avatar

ok tried both of the above suggestions. deleted appdata/locallow etc and appdata/roaming etc

then flushed DNS successfully.

Logged in fine. started to load (resume option), and got a completely new error (progress?) : http://prntscr.com/o2gm7e
    after that it seemed to re-try to load, but then went right back to [pelican] http://prntscr.com/o2gne3

tried again with (Start on World Map) and got the original result - 94% connection lost - [pelican]

14. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@giric what anti virus do you have installed? avc?

15. giric

giric Avatar

just windows defender

16. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

then it would really seem something is interfering with your connectivity. That could be all manner of things from issues your ISP is having, to an over zelous denial of service prevention thing on routers somewhere..

Have you ever logged in successfully and played?
    what version of sota does it say you have (look in the options box)?
    Are you playing over wifi?
    What speed report do you get from speedtest.net?

17. giric

giric Avatar

1. yes, I have successfully logged in played up until this issue.
    2. SotA.Win.64.993.Date.06.14.19
    3. no, I have direct connection to my router/modem via ethernet cable
    4. 32.85 Mbps

18. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Based on Lord Subtleton's suggestions and what you currently have installed, I'd try the following:

In Network & Internet Settings, click Change Adapter Settings, open Properties for your Ethernet connection, and uninstall the QoS Packet Scheduler (and any other QoS options that might be installed).

In Windows Defender, go to Firewall & Network Protection, click Allow an app through firewall, find Shroud of the Avatar in the list and remove it, then click Allow another app and browse out to your SotA install and select the executable (not the launcher, the game executable) and re-add it.

After those changes, reboot and try again.

19. giric

giric Avatar

ok followed those instructions. QoS Packet scheduler would not delete, but I removed the check mark to disable it.
    Firewall changes made successfully.
    Rebooted PC

[ERROR] The network connection to a required network service [scene] is unavailable - http://prntscr.com/o2qxx7

20. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Then it really does suggest your router, or your ISP is making your life awkward, however as Lord Subtleton suggested if you arent getting any % loaded, it suggests local reading issues somehow.. What happens if you disable the wifi adapter on your machine? in case its kinda flipflopping between the two

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.