Obsidian ingot question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stabbath, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

I have the recipe, I know for sure because I have an extra recipe and it says I already know it. I have looked for obsidian ingot on smelting, blacksmithing and even out of desperation alchemy table. It does not show up. Is there a special forge I need to use for it to show up? What am I missing? thanks.

2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

The obsidian forge is inside hilt fortress. bring your fireproof cloths and/or some friends. :)

3. Scooooby

Scooooby Avatar

Obsidian ingot's are crafted on the obsidian forge in Hilt Fortress.

You'll need to have a few players with you so they can fight off the fire ele's and earth elementals that spawn when you are on the forge.
    You will also take damage while standing on the forge smelting ingots, so a healer near by will be usefull as well.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I think you need more than just Obsidian Chips, right ?
    Seems to me we took a friend down there who had nothing but the chips and he had forgotten another ingredient (coal maybe ?).

5. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Yes, coal should be with you - also if you follow the last path of the Oracle - and may be Asbestos underpants ...
    Unfortunately last one aren't in game - yet ;)

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Also, the recipe is in the obsidian forge section of your crafting book, it has its own tab.

Jaesun and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Also, don't forget an ingot mold.

8. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

Oh, was recently there to do lens quest. I can solo it, but lich room is hard. It was mostly a nightmare due to getting dced and having the place reset, and worse, got to bottom where forge is and not enough coal.... Had to reset instance and farm 2 or 3 more pieces grr.

of course, I was in the quest instance I believe. Going to find out if it's harder the open world instance I guess. Whats the easiest entrance to the forge? I used nightshade pass I believe it's called, for quest. I recall upon using it it say the entrance is only available for people on that particular quest, so I figure I won't be able to use it now.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Once you step on the obsidian forge (and you're not doing the quest), the mobs respawn and keep respawning. You need people to fight them off for you. Anytime a mob hits you it will disrupt what you're doing and you will have to start over again.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The non-quest version also does a lot more damage while you're using it. Apparently before they added the other door, I was always in the quest instance. I used to go down there to farm sulfurous ash, and hopping onto the forge to get elementals to spawn wasn't that big a deal. Last time I went down there (using the non-quest door)I hopped onto the forge, and I was at half health in just a few seconds.

Jaesun likes this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That still works. Now, there are two doors to get into the fortress. Youiwon't be able to use one of them if you're not on the quest.

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Here’s a list of all the passages and the places they connect to: http://sotawiki.net/sota/Passage

Equitas Passage is probably the easiest. But both connections to Hilt all connect to the Lich room.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The underworld was such a missed opportunity.

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The entire underground network is actually kinda cool. The ties to all the Vaults, Sewers and other various scenes. What don’t you like about it?

Sentinel2 and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That there's almost no reason to go there, unless you're avoiding PvP scenes for the main quest. Instead of opening the passes/control points, they should have expanded the underworld to connect to more places, and dropped them to tier 2. If you weren't strong enough to take the passes, and didn't want to wait for a rift, you could go the long way through the underworld. But at tier 5, by the time you could handle them, you could just run through the passes anyway. You could have pretty much gone anywhere without having to use the overworld.

New areas to explore could be added pretty easily by dropping in a breakable wall that leads to a new underground scene. Since the cavern area terrains bits are already done, they could be pumped out quickly, making it worth returning every release or so to see if anything new has been added. "Oh, suddenly there's this breakable wall I never noticed before, and it leads to a giant cave with a dragon/undiscovered Kobold village/mine/obsidian cult temple..."

You could even do a super awesome throwback to U8, and have a pair of double doors in there somewhere that remain locked until ep2 lands launched, then make them one of the ways to travel to an ep2 "underworld." We could have been speculating about where the doors go for the last few years, with Port just responding with "you'll see..." (Or really make them a throwback to U8, and have them be another entrance to the Lost Vale that unlocks at a different time than the portal on Novia.)

My hope is that Tartarus gets added in this way, with an entry in one of the underworld locations. Though with zone scrolls, it only means people will go that route once, and only if they have no friends already there.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Lars vonDrachental likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.