Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Loot attenuation

Discussion in 'Items & Inventory' started by Mac2, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I am getting loot attenuated before I am exp attenuated now. About halfway through the second set of waves in upper tears the bodies start to have nothing on them, not even coin.

2. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

Exp attenuation is a soft cap on experience gained per hour. Once you hit the maximum (I believe it is 1 mill per hour), the rate of gaining XP slows down, but you still earn xp. XP attenuation does not affect loot generation. Sounds like you encountered an enemy that had no loot.

3. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Pretty sure he said bodie(s) not just a single enemy. Hrrrm.

4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Not saying the exp attenuation is effecting the loot attenuation, just saying it sucks I get loot attenuated before I am exp attenuated. And it was not just one single body, it was 75% of them after that point and then the other 25% would sometimes have an arrow and nothing else, or 1 coin and nothing else. If it happens again today I will record it and post a video to give as much info as I can on it.

Aldo, Sara Dreygon, amarious and 3 others like this.
  5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Just misunderstanding cuz english actually sucks.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Tru dat.

Griffler, Elrond and Mac2 like this.
  7. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

Loot attenuation has to be one of the dumbest ideas implemented in the game so far. Want players to play, but limit their gains in XP and plunder.

Illesac, Feeyo and Fister Magee like this.
  8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

So, is there or isn't there loot attenuation? Are you even allowed to mention it? If you were (or if it is really not a system in place), you could say! :)

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I have been convinced of loot attenuation too. It happens to me without regards to Exp earned in a session. I have noticed, though the loot attenuation goes away when I go to another scene (not an instance of the same scene). I have not posted about it because I still don't have enough info to characterize properly. First noticed on Torc, and then later on Reapers. Been dealing with it because I have plenty of places to go and since it doesn't affect other areas I have been working around it. That said, it is still possible I am not correct. Have been waiting for someone to post their suspicions and have been searching for other mention of possible loot attenuation here on forums.

Jaesun and Mac2 like this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Mac2
    @Fister Magee
    @Aldo

There are at least three, more probably four different anti-farming features that has the same feel as what is described as loot attenuation.

One is tied to overall loot gain in a scene, one is tied to instance switching, one is tied to individual loot gain speed, then you have the old one which was the lock-limit of an account gaining too much.
    At least those are the ones we have heard mentioned by Chris, where it could be confusion in that it could be the same one he is describing in different ways but more likely different trigger points for the same event horizon.

Here was the latest discussion which has a link to an audio bit from a Chris AMA:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...confirmed-by-chris.151919/page-2#post-1214946
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...confirmed-by-chris.151919/page-3#post-1215179

The intent is not the same as for XP attenuation.
    Where the XP one is to slow players down the loot one is more as anti-farming or anti-exploiting safeguards.

So the principle is a great idea - to have triggers that safeguard the game economy from too large exploits automatically so that the safeguards aren't meat people dependent.
    But when the threshold trigger points are too low or miscalculated so that instead of catching exploit farming it catches the common high end play style then yes then it is very detrimental to the game experience. We even had folks early on after permanency who got temporarily locked accounts from trading too much with eachother so that the gold gain triggered, glad that at least was fixed.

11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am aware of the reasons for trying to control this game. We must stomp out every effort to succeed, keep the serfs within the bounds that have been set. If someone gains experience too fast, put a brake on. If someone gains loot too fast, put a brake on. Trouble is that the net that is thrown captures more innocents that ne're do wells. For example, let's say I am a crafter. I want to use a recipe that requires ashen heartwood. I search for days and cannot find enough for sale. I decide to go out and get my own. I develop skills for survival against the dreaded Reaper. Finally I am ready. The scene I find has two Reapers in it. I kill the first and get pretty good loot, gold some wood and bark and other stuff. The second is about the same. Plan is keep at it until I get 20 ashen heartwood. I figure I will have to kill at least 100 Reapers to get the 20 if I am very lucky. Slow work, but I am up for it. So I swing around the scene, doing some harvesting, some hunting, waiting for the Reaper respawn. When they finally respawn I find that already I am at loot attenuation. Did I have to leave the scene and re-enter? Do I have to wait an hour? Do I have to confess my crime to the Oracle? Who knows? Bummer. New plan....Starting tomorrow, I will kill every Reaper I see. If there is no ashen heartwood in the loot then I will not loot the corpse, leave everything and hope that the anti cheating net is tracking the loot picked up rather than the number of Reapers killed. If that doesn't work, then I can create a bunch of free alts. Perhaps I will go see if I can get a heart of vrul off the deamons......

Spoon and Fister Magee like this.
  12. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

To farm... So the drop rates are set so low, you have to farm the same creature for hours to have any hope of getting the item. And to rub salt in the wound, your standard loot starts to suck as well. Perfect plan.

Feeyo likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Aldo
    @Calan Caitin

Since it seems that the way I intended the post and the way you responded shows a gap I thought I might add some clarification.

A)
    I don't like the way the current implementation works as regards to the loot safeguards. I think there are big bugs in it so that it catches behavior it is not supposed to catch. Where, since we don't get any feedback when it triggers, it is very frustrating trying to get proper reports so that those things can be fixed.
    B)
    I think it is compounded by the way the loot works ordinarily as well. So that the safeguards we have are especially mismatched given the ordinary loot implementation in this title. This since there is a big diff between lucky runs and unlucky runs where sometimes just because the run is lucky the safeguards trigger, which is aggravating.
    C)
    With that said I think that in theory such safeguards is a great idea for a small team like this one, since they don't have the manpower to monitor the metrics.
    D)
    My post was an explanation and affirmation of the existence of such safeguards which feels the same as attenuation to the player since it seemed that there was some confusion among the players of their existence, but mostly since Lord Subleton seemed to dismiss @Mac2 's report just because of the terminology he used which is not good.
    Hence I thought it prudent to explain that it is real and has been confirmed by Chris.

14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps my second tongue in cheek response was more negative than usual probably due to IRL good vibes attenuation. Like I said though, it's frustrating. I don't envy the overachiever or even the occasional cheater. This perhaps gives me a different perspective with regards to the safeguards against such activity. I would rather live with the nere do wells than suffer the wide net used to catch them. Really, in my mind, I just want to play the game for me with reasonable assumptions as to what I can accomplish.

Spoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.