Tweaking experience attenuation in Shroud of the Avatar with the aim of removing forced breaks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mimner, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I guess I should add, i'm not against them increasing the attenuation cap.

I am against :

Removing attenuation - it was added for a reason and the problem it fixed still exists.
    Increasing the time period of attenuation - If the time period is most of a normal players play session length then it does not do it job of balancing scene XP between scenes.

Regards
    Spung

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I see your point, but I disagree. If this were true, I could jump to a different scene and attenuate separately from the other scenes. Attenuation absolutely has to do with soft cap to prevent player strength differences, at least this is true until I can attenuate in UT, then in Ulfheim within one hour.

Dhanas likes this.
  3. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

No because then it would not have been the GLOBAL solution to the problem. If it was done per scene it would not achieve the balance either, players would jump only between the 2 highest XP giving scenes. Again making the other scenes redundant and need dev time to balance in a continually gradual creep of all scenes.

4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Then: What if xp was just let out of a 'faucet' that opened up when doing any combat activity (for combat xp)? What other alternative is there? Expanding on this, lower levels get xp let out at a faster rate, and higher levels get slower xp (I know, similar in idea to diminishing returns)? I just don't see any other viable solution to what is being proposed here. Of course, this takes all risk/reward out of it... but attenuation in any form takes out the fun from the game with the waiting period. With a faucet approach, no waiting! I'm not sure if I'm joking here or not...

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Or just hard caps. <- this is a joke

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Further thoughts, this could be based on in-game time played as well (or instead), instead of tied to player level, helping casuals.

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Wait, who are we concerned about here, newbs or casuals? Both?

Mishikal likes this.
  8. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

This is the point, neither. What it was about was Dev time, the dev time having to be invested in continually balancing and rebalancing content to ensure scenes were comparable from an XP return point of view. Else the scene left behind on XP rewards became redundant and pointless until dev time was reinvested in them.

Regards
    Spung

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.