Fireball needs love?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Mimner, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

I heard Chris say in a stream that he needs to look at giving some love to fireball. It seems to be working fine to me.

Cordelayne, Gravidy, Barugon and 5 others like this.
  2. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

So awesome

Mimner likes this.
  3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

It works on easy to manipulate AI. But casting timer takes too long for pvp or AI that you haven't memorized or is insanely slow and dumb.

Just some small tweaks would go a long ways. For example I would love if I could hold down a button and cast it at a target without having to select the ground. Be more useable against stationary targets and slow stuff. And reduce casting a bit, maybe just for spec.

It's so hard to apply compared to other spells it should have a - heal modifier for spec too to actually make it more useable.

That being said, I think other magic trees need help before this spell is addressed, everything else works really well in the fire tree already.

Jaesun, FrostII and Montaigne like this.
  4. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

The video demonstrates fireball's incredible versatility in pve, for both masses of targets and singles. As you say, 'slow and dumb' AI is one incredibly useful aspect of it, and should not be dismissed out of hand. Also, when combined with ice field, most AI can be made to be 'slow and dumb' thus increasing fireball's range of applicability.

Fireball is also incredibly effective against single targets, as the fight with the death metal slime shows. This is because it does so much damage both through the direct blast and the dot, not to mention it can hit twice if you're specialized.

'Slow and dumb' doesn't accurately describe my expeience of DMS, so I assume that you mean by, 'easy to manipulate AI' anything that can be knocked down or stunned. This includes every mob in the game except: dragons, daemons, unicorns, and reapers. Of this list I can tell you that countless daemons and reapers have tasted my fireballs.

True, fireball is useless in pvp. So what? Not every skill in the game has to have application in all areas of the game. Fireball is already king in pve for those who know how to use it. To change it would take this powerful and much under utilized skill away from those skilled players who have taken the time to master it.

Now, a new combo that used fireball and had a different mechanic is another story all together...

Ataniiq and Spinok like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

*snicker*

6. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Fireball against a single target is wayyy weaker than flame fist and flame arrow. Not to mention flame fist can hit multiple target in a short range around the impact too. Way faster to cast, do a longer dot than fireball, give -heal mod.

7. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

No, it definitely needs some love. It's not fine.

Senash Kasigal, Girlsname and FrostII like this.
  8. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Fireball def needs some love imo- esp the fire spec, half the time when it double procs I’m like, oh shi! I forgot it does that—

But it should def get some re-visit like Earthquake did.

Make it always double proc for starters ^^
    (esp for fire specialized) maybe even speed up the cast time...

But w/e maybe I just want to watch the world burn.

\^^/

Xkhan and Hemswal The Descended like this.
  9. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I think the biggest shortcoming of this discussion is the lack of the main subject: the fire mage.

Fire at the moment is:

-The absolute king of PVE
    -Best mage class in PVP group vs group
    -One of the most competitive 1vs1 build (I recommend you to jump to the Virtue League on Saturday and wait for Tier A fights)

Why?
    -It is able to completely cancel the fire warding skills thanks to Evaporate combined with all resist debuff from spec
    -It is the only magic tree with healing modifiers
    -It is the magic tree with with more offensive skills (Even the attunement shield does awesome damage)

Taking the fireball individually it obviously seems to need love, but when you go to look at the whole thing, well you're basically asking to make fire the most op tree that has ever been seen.

I'm sorry @Girlsname but the comparison with earth does not hold, earth is one of the most underpowered and expansive magic tree in game.

All this reminds me a lot when people complained that the polearm was underpowered, I hope we all remember how it turned out after the addition of bec de faucon.

I would also like to mention the precarious situation of Sun, Moon, Bludgeon, Air, Earth and Chaos trees. I believe that these must have absolute priority given the unjustness and the imbalance compared to other schools in both fields, pvp and pve.

Jaesun, Spinok and Chiasma like this.
  10. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Yeh fire spec is pretty lit, not gonna say it’s not lol.

After all @Mimner i believe is replying to what Chris said during a stream...

About earth tho, I was saying how they made earthquake speed up with earth spec

11. Hemswal The Descended

@Antrax Artek There are also more ways to resist fire than anything else. I don't think it's the fire mage that needs to be looked at. I think it's other schools and sub-types that need to be looked at.

Over the years, the fire tree has been tweaked many times. Instead of doing things to dismember or diminish it, we should look at ways to bring other schools into the same level of power.

Fire magic should not be the go to for PVE. It should just be an option.

Fireball needs love. That doesn't mean other things don't need love as well.

12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Really ?

14. Hemswal The Descended

Not sure I agree with this entirely either. Ranged has been pretty strong for a while now. And, this wouldn't be even remotely true for all PVE encounters. And, of course not against dragons.

Usually @Antrax Artek and I agree. It sucks that I have to KOS him now. ;)

FrostII likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's funny how some people seem to always want to shoehorn SotA into a classed system. It's always this vs that. The best is some of multiple things.

Jaesun and Girlsname like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.