[Poll] If there were substantial changes would you do it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antrax Artek, Jun 24, 2019.

?

Would you do PVP if there were changes to make it meaningful, rewarding and less punitive for all?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2019.
  1. Yes

47.0%
  2. I already do it

5.9%
  3. No

47.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Thanks for summarizing my thoughts on the subject. Let me add, SOTA's main development issue has ALWAYS been a lack of clear direction. This team has promised everyone everything and been incapable of delivering one single fully polished component.

Adding PVP to the mix immensely complicates all facets of development as PVP greatly impacts ALL components of the game. Solution: Remove PVP and simplify development.

Seriously, removing ALL PVP, except duels, would probably lose 10's of players at most. Saving countless hours of balance and content creation. Gaining 100's or 1000's more of returning and new players without PVP and more PVE focus.

Source: I FIX "lead" PROJECTS

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    FrostII likes this.
  2. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Saying this is like saying: doing craft spec will take lot of devs work time and it will be hard to do for them, so remove crafting from the game.

What you are saying has no sense, Being a MMO sota should gather different playstyle and don't get rid of a big part of customers that want to play a game where there is pvp too.

3. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

I voted no. I have no desire to play pvp in this or any other game. Why? I do not receive any enjoyment from either being killed by OR killing other players. I get frustrated enough getting killed in PVE (and there I know once I level my character up I might do better in whatever scene I am in)

That said, I have no problems with dev time being spent on PVP to improve it, as long as it is kept completely optional and does not try to trick players into going into PVP zones.

StarLord, arcdevil, nimueCW and 9 others like this.
  4. Rixa Ultima

Rixa Ultima Avatar

ok, you are free to do only pve, but usually without risk you get nothing. trying to force this BASIC mechanics, will do nothing but worsen the quality of the game.

5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I've always been a fan of the Battlegrounds in World of Warcraft. Set up some scenes with different PVP scenarios (capture the flag, capture resource points, kill the enemy general, etc), and let two teams go at it is a recipe for endless fun.

6. Rixa Ultima

Rixa Ultima Avatar

The risk, should be a combination of pve and pvp (the classic superboss in the pvp area). IF you decide not to do pvp nobody can / could never drag you. You can't expect to have everything without doing everything.Maybe you are part of those who want everything at no risk? because the pve is no risk.
    Personally, like most people, you play to have fun, to win and to lose. Where is the fun if you only win?

7. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Port wouldn’t have newly implemented a leaderboard with PvP stats if they wanted SotA to be purely PvE.

Jaesun, Boris Mondragon and Dhanas like this.
  8. Rixa Ultima

Rixa Ultima Avatar

Did i heard castle sieges? @Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin
    I'm just saying that everyone who decides not to do pvp can do it quietly, but at least they won't prevent others from doing it with the right prizes (because doing pvp equipment costs a lot).

9. oplek

oplek Avatar

What I'm commenting on is the apparent systematic genocide of consensual PVP... going from game to game to game, eliminating it wherever it may exist. Because we apparently are disallowed from just enjoying our online PVE experience. Anywhere. At least, that's what I've been forced to conclude, given their impotent ability to actually carry through.

FrostII likes this.
  10. oplek

oplek Avatar

That's my position on the other side of the fence, whereas, your position was almost literally... "Sure you don't have to do PVP, but you will also be barred from having anything"

FrostII likes this.
  11. Rixa Ultima

Rixa Ultima Avatar

You can always buy items from pvp content, from those who spent millions on equipment and lost as many in ramsons.

Dhanas likes this.
  12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Unity can handle tons of people just like fortnite and other game. Its the technic used that is not known by many, the logic behind the code that make it so you can fight 100 people at once in same screen. Its really complex, require alot of time/effort/adjustement to make it responsive and almost perfect (it cant ever be perfect, but almost.) And with their years of experience and seeing how they can handle hundred in a scene at dance party or events we had before, they seem to have it on the right way.

What the problem is tought is the game is really high definition, so even at fastest settings and windowed mode, having a ton of people in the same screen with that many details in mesh and textures make it laggy. Its not the connection, nor unity, its people computers that isnt top notch and thats understandable. Im pretty sure the dev knows well that if they made castle siege and there is 20vs20 player battle hapenning here, that 30 out of those 40 people will start complaining on the forum about horrible lag and how the game is ****. Thats probably the main reason why its not happening. Im pretty confident that in a near futur they will make it a bit more light or find a way to so we can handle those huge battles.

MEANWHILE, there is other stuff that could be done. :)

13. Rixa Ultima

Rixa Ultima Avatar

so the problem would be to have a unique object from pvp? if it's just for this, as I think, I'd gladly give up to have some fun.

14. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

My god, that was harsh, but 100% accurate. Man, you touch it with a needle.

15. Oracle Watcher

Oracle Watcher Avatar

Bzzt!
    Thread cleanup initiated. Please continue to stay on topic and avoid attacks on individuals or groups of players! PM me with any questions or feedback, thanks!

16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Unless portal spends a ton of resources in pvp systems I don’t have much hope for pvp in this game. Portal does not have the man power to do pvp justice, unless they produce a hq battle ground or a deep faction system anything they do will be wasted time.

Good news Wow classic is launching aug 27 so arathi basin will satisfy my pvp thirst.

arcdevil likes this.
  17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I will add my two cents and I voted yes though I seldom PvP and only when it has meaning.

I am not going to attack anyone or their vociferous opinions but if you take it that way, it was pure coincidence “Grins”. So here we go.

@Greyfox ; Brother were you at the battle of New Heaven in January? , battle of Dragomir in March?, battle of Luna City in May?. Those 3 had positives and negatives and yes some lag. What you might have missed is what we accomplished on our own. We got most of the PvP and quite a lot of the PVE community together and had a blast. The parties of parties that will be in the game soon will fix the “friendly” fire issue and @Chris streamed the last two to work on latency and other issues. If you think this game can survive without viable PvP then you missed the boat since PvP is the endgame. It’s the reason to grind , it creates drama, betrayal and power.

@Loucento ; Brother don’t take this personal but your idea of having PvP forced content does not work either and just pushes the PvP and PvE crowd further apart. If you want to double the resources for the PvP risk that is fine but do not alienate the others.

@Antrax Artek , @Dhanas , @CatherineRose , @Spinok , @Mangar , thanks for your support, you folks and your efforts are proof of what we can do and have done with effort and limited resources. @Chris , thank you for the streaming of those epic battles and btw do hurry with that “parties of parties “ so we can do more epic battles.

To the rest of you that have replied to this effort; we are either part of the problem or part of the solution. We can move forward to keep this game alive.

Factions I don’t care for as this pirate does not bend a knee to anyone. Give us placeable PvP keeps, working catapults/trebuchets and we will take it from there.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever

18. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Grettings all...I am chatting this up because it is important for PVP to exit...It offers a great pass time for people who need something to do once they reach a point that normal game play is not going to keep them interested...PVP needs to be expanded...Consider it a priority...Good Luck and good hunting all around :)

19. Rixa Ultima

Rixa Ultima Avatar

I am forced to make pve.this isn't consensual.

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I think that would be cool, too; all except that from my perspective, the "winning" has to be more than about winning a dumb emote or something useless that you could buy off another player if you wanted to. It also has to be more than about winning things only useful to PvP. If I'm not interested in PVP, why would I want to fight for PvP-related stuff?

The Obsidian Trials were fun to play around with for the beginning, but there really is no point to them; and that's really why I think people stopped playing. And its why I think PvP has to be consequential to the world, somehow.

And honestly, I don't know how you do that without making some people upset, since in order for PvP to be consequential, there needs to be some benefit to PvP you can't get elsewhere; and if there were, some people would claim it was "forced PvP". The original plan was to tie PvP into control points in some way (or at least some of them); as well as have some special resources in PvP areas; as well as PvP contraband quests. These kinds of things would all make sense. Heck, the Obsidian Trials might make sense if you could win things that were meaningful outside of PvP, like CotOs.

When I see the devs analyze the PvP problem and they gather up a list of reasons why players say they don't PvP and then try to address this through gamey solutions, I think its missing the point, actually. Most people play RPGs because they like role-playing. PvP is annoying for most people because it gets in the way of this. A PK isn't a bandit -- he's a dumbass player one-shotting you while you're trying to gather some wood or are AFK. If I were fighting some battle with other players to win the crown of Novia, or something like that; now that would be interesting. I think sometimes the devs forget why people play RPGs, why people liked the Ultima games, and why they backed SotA in Kickstarter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.