Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Replied] Taming Necklaces still can't be overwritten

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by Echondas, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

06/20/2019 13:27
    Title: Taming Necklaces still can't be overwritten
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No
    Details: Unlocked taming necklaces still cannot be overwritten
    Steps to Reproduce: Try and overwrite a taming necklace while it's unlocked - "You hit nothing! (Tame Creature)"
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3550 @ 3.07GHz (8) System RAM: 24573
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 GPU RAM: 1930
    SotA.QA.Win.64.839.Date.06.19.19
    Area: OwlsHead
    Area Display Name: Owl's Head
    Loc: (89.6, 71.1, 57.1)
    Debug: T3dsc0hlYWR8fCg4OS41NjMsIDcxLjA2NiwgNTcuMDczKXwoMCwgLTAuNjg0LCAwLCAwLjczKXwtMTAwLjU2NjR8MjQuNDUwMjh8NC41OTIy

Kelly O'Shay likes this.
  2. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

I agree that this is still the case: unlocked taming necklace and locked taming necklaces cannot be overwritten.

For clarification, if the necklace is locked, I cannot get the taming icon to highlight as available to use. If the necklace is unlocked, the taming icon will highlight as if it is available to use. And, when I click on it with a creature targetted, the taming animation displays as usual. The taming timer runs and it appears that I might be able to tame the creature. But when the timer finishes it always says "You failed to tame the creature (Massive Crocodile)" and next it says "You hit nothing! (Tame Creature)"

Those messages appear to be improved. Now there is a parenthesis with more information about the action included. I like that.

And, I also tested in QA the death of a tamed creature. This still works correctly. After 5 minutes, the creature is not available for you to summon from the taming whistle any longer. And, you can tame over the taming whistle normally. But, there is a bug with the taming whistle just after the death of your creature and the five minute timeout. The taming necklace still has the name of the creature on it. That is very confusing. It would be better if the name of the creature disappeared from the taming necklace as soon as the five minute timer expired. I guess I should put in a bug in a separate thread for that. edit https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...taming-necklace-still-has-it-on-there.156425/

Anyway, continuing with the clarification part: there is a good reason that tamers want to tame over a taming necklace with a tamed creature already on it. Some of the new creatures are just a little bit too hard to manage to tame by oneself. So a strategy is to bring out an obsidian bear, or a ferocious bear patriarch or something, and use that as a helper to fight the desired creature down to less than 25% of its full hit points. Then, you hit it with a few tames and overwrite your obsidian bear with the razerback destroyer or whatever.

The goal is to disallow taming over a locked taming necklace, but to allow normal taming to tame over a taming necklace with a tamed creature on it if it is unlocked and whether the creature is out and fighting along with me, or if the creature has died and the five minute timer is still ticking, or even if the creature is currently dismissed.

It would be nice to have a message stating why we cant tame over the taming necklace if it is locked. That would help a newer tamer understand the rules. Maybe a tooltip message over the unhighlighted taming glyph saying "taming unavailable over locked taming necklace."

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  3. Gushinex

Gushinex Avatar

This issue is a real problem, in addition to you cannot tame over a current pet in the whistle you also get NO XP either into your pool nor into "set to training" tame creature skill. It use to be that even on tame failures you could train up your skill, in fact failures were preferred when training as then you had a chance to not loose your collar. Now its an auto fail when taming while you have a current pet in whistle and receive no XP to boot.

Kelly O'Shay likes this.
  4. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I think this issue is resolved now, let us know if it is not!

Jaesun, Echondas and Kelly O'Shay like this.
  5. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

This is working as expected and as desired now. Trying to tame over a whistle with a pet on it is allowed even if the pet is out and helping you fight. But, if the whistle is locked to inventory, the pet can still be summoned and will still fight with you, but you cant overwrite the whistle. There is even a new good message telling why the whistle cant be tamed over. Try clicking on the taming icon (which is greyed out) to see the new message.

[​IMG]

I took the devbug data from the overworld because I forgot to capture it inside the Stag plains encounter.

06/26/2019 17:35
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8)
    System RAM: 12212
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740
    GPU RAM: 2007 SotA.QA.Win.64.848.Date.06.26.19
    Area: Novia Area Display Name: Novia Loc: (400.9, 19.3, 299.0)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCg0MDAuODg0LCAxOS4zMzcsIDI5OC45NzgpfCgwLCAwLjgzNiwgMCwgLTAuNTQ5KXwtMTEyLjY5MDF8NDQuNTIwOTN8MjA=

Mycroft Holmes, Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.