Rings & Necklaces Crafted vs Artefacts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steevodeevo, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

There’s no reason any new player can’t afford a warlock chain if they rlly want it. Newbies can farm beetles. Yes it’s a bit trying but 10 = 10k youre a 10th there. Farm some wood there’s another 8500 gold for 100 wood. It’s doable.

My apologies. I reads the 'unable to afford" comment on my phone and that's where my mind was. Totally affordable if you want it but does not address the BIS artifact vs crafting at all.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

You are probably doing your maths according to the current market where almost every potential buyer already has a warlock chain.

But as long as the warlock chain can't be crafted with wood and beetle carapaces, if this game had suddenly thousands of new players coming in order to get this crafted artifact (which is more than the current active player base and which is very unlikely to happen anyway), the market would suddenly need ten of thousands of magic rings, the prices would reach the sky in 10 seconds and then your 10 beetle carapace and your 100 woods would be far from sufficent.

Not to mention that it was not so easy to get 100 woods as a new player when I was still playing (because of the weight limit if my memory is correct), that a new player rarely know about such deals when he just arrives and that a new player requires more stuff than just a necklace...

Everything in the market is based on offer vs demand and as long as the people who want this exceptionnaly-worthy-crafted-gear will have to deal with high level stuff, one way or another, it will grant the high level players with an advantage over those who can't afford to loot the recipes and the rings, especially those who want to be dedicated to crafting jobs.

Things would be very different if SOTA had a more linear progression with the equipment but then again, this too is unlikely to happen. Simply because there is absolutely no sense of balance in this game.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Price might go up anyway, Warlock's Chain is one of the artifacts that can now be combined to make stronger versions.

4. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

lol, omg. :eek::D

Thank you for the information.

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Granted, it'll take four of them to make a tier 2 version, and sixteen to make a tier 3. Maybe somebody will gather up the 64 Warlock Chains needed to make the tier 4 version, but that'd be a full time job.

6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

And sure, granting more power to the higher level players was an emergency in a game where the only limit with experience is attenuation and where the story line and the journal are still bugged as hell. It surprises me that some people still wonder why the new player experience is not attractive... :rolleyes:

7. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

A legendary item requires 64 basic items to make a Legendary, hmm. I better come back and play now. That's appealing to me to collect 64 Gambler Rings, Cautious Precisions... maybe the Cabalist Hoods will be on that list? Hm.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  8. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I have to agree, the new player experience all the way up to adventure level 80 is a massive vacuum of fun things to do and fun loots to acquire. Maybe it would be a cool idea to implement character-bound items that level with you. And you can only get them from a new player quest. And you can only have one. I can see that being a reason to make a new character.

Maybe there could be one type of such an item for each slot, and you have to make a tough choice about what attribute/style of play you wanted to focus on. Hmmmm.

Aldo and Hornpipe like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I like the idea of cycling artifacts back into the crafting process, but ideally you'd want to do that in a way that helped make player crafted items better rather than undermined them. Something like a suggestion of my own I made for artifact reforging (thread here), where it would involve crafting new gear from scratch and adding essences to them.

10. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I'm my poorly informed view it is all about balance, or rather re-balance and some may say it is too late, I suggest it is not but urgent. As @Browncoat Jayson says, 5 to 7 ingots for one stat - please Devs tell us what the vision is?

I believe that now we have tiered artifacts the level 1 artifact should be marginally better or on a par with the best a crafter can make for that slot. This way the crafter can survive by selling his or her wares at below the artifact price which will help new or poorer players and give them a viable option for a reasonable price.

When MW stats come in (assuming they do) Crafters that invest the time and effort to perfect their art can edge up the quality of crafted items such that they can actually compete or even marginally improve on a level 1 Artifact creating a healthy tension in the market.

The combined artifacts up to Legendary should be in a class of their own, and should be as powerful as hell given, for example, you need 64 for Legendary and that should command a hefty price tag and rightly so, but the best crafted items should compete with the tier 1 artifacts in my view.

11. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

As far as i know warlock chains have not been added to the tiered system and I'm not sure that they should be... if anything i would think the current iteration should be rare or legendary. Price has been consistent for the last year+.
    I'm not sure how to address the arty vs crafted imbalance. maybe combining artifacts to create high level crafting mats would be a start. There needs to be more of a split it feels like. High level adventures collect arties / high level crafters craft them. right now all high level players can both collect and craft the best gear.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oops, my mistake. I was confusing it with the Lich Ring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.