Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[By Design] NPC dialog gigantic font - f'up

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations, & NPC's' started by Chirp, Jun 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chirp

Chirp Avatar

@Sannio In reply to https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...npc-dialog-gigantic-font.156182/#post-1242844 from the previous release - cannot answer there anymore.

See the picture, it says all. I stitched together the normal state and the npc dialog one, so that the gigantic font really stands out and bites you.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApblUQLHeaXPqBvP3-4WCmN5jsps
    This is 1920x1200 resolution.

I have no issues with the dialog being central and visible. But the font. Its size. Ugh! Please please keep it same as all the fonts in the rest of the UI.

Jaesun likes this.
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the update! I've added your new info to issue #65114 and let @wizardsmoke know about it (since he's the UI programmer).

Chirp and Jaesun like this.
  3. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

Thanks for the post and including a screen shot. Based on the image provided, it appears that the feature is working as intended. The conversation window appears during a modal dialog with another character. The larger font ensures that the text is legible even at high screen resolution.

Lady Morgana likes this.
  4. Chirp

Chirp Avatar

so you say the rest of SotA is not readable, @Lord Subtleton ? Please think again.

(and no, dont make the other fonts larger. make this one smaller again please.)

5. Chirp

Chirp Avatar

That this dialog is modal unlike all others is yet another annoying fact btw. My 2ct about it.

6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Scaling the entire window was not the best way to fix this. Make the window larger, and add font options at larger sizes. Scaling the entire window didn't add any space, so the problems that were there are still there, just at a larger size.

Chirp and Echondas like this.
  7. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

The font in the box dialogue window is now aweful, ugly and let's down the game. To say this is working as intended shocks me.

I had assumed it was a bug or temporary WIP whilst resolution issues were addressed.

Chirp and Jason_M like this.
  8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Hello folks.

This was mentioned last release by @Chirp here in this thread and was marked "more information needed" by @wizardsmoke and @Sannio said that a JIRA was made (Issue #65114).

The issue was also reported as a scaling issue on larger monitors by @Vladamir Begemot although I can definitely attest that it's as bad on a 17" screen at 1080p. This report wasn't responded to.

Text scaling to resolution was mentioned in another thread wherein the last post includes a screen shot. @BurningToad said in this thread that the problem was known and that "[A] fix for another issue at high resolutions ended up causing it. We will work on a better fix and revert to what we had before for next patch." (I quoted to avoid mischaractrizing what he wrote.)

I'm no tech guy, but it seems to be a scaling issue. It's not only ugly, but reading blurry font for any length of time causes eye strain. :oops:

I hope this record has been useful.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I just did the same, but with a much bigger font, in a new thread because this one is probably now closed in their minds.

Since the chat window has larger but better looking text in the image I think there is no way they can miss the point that something was left out of the dialog box rendering.

But just in case keep harping on them until we don't have blurry text. A new NUE with blurry text is two steps forward, one step back.

Chirp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.