Changing credit card info for subscription???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dyonisys, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

I have gone through the site via my profile and can't find where to change the credit card information for the subscription with my account? Also i don't want my subscription to end and not have the reward for the consecutive month of subscription like reward and title?

anyone know how or if there a way to do it, looks like they didnt though about this or im stupid and didn't find it:)? @DarkStarr

Bjorn Dyonisys

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Contact support?

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  3. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

You wait for it to end and make a new sub with new card.

You still get rewards , they already Said that it doesnt have to be cintinious , they just go by the number of times you are charged $9.

So no worries :)

Dyonisys likes this.
  4. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

If you cancel and resub you shouldn't be charged until your current sub is up.

Best bet is to contact support to confirm.

Dyonisys likes this.
  5. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

Still will be more efficient just to be able to change the credit card related to the account in the account information.... will be logic

Arradin likes this.
  6. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

So for everyone knowledge, when you need to change the credit card info, you havery to cancel subscription and submit again with new info. It will continue subs where it was before

Was the answer from devs

Bjorn Dyonisys

7. tphilipp

tphilipp SotA Dev Moderator SOTA Developer

Correct, it boils down to canceling and restarting. You'll stay on your subscription cycle.
    The reason for not having any "change payment information" option is that we cannot just change the payment info without the user's permission. It could be added as a frontend option, guiding the user through it, but would then effectively boil down to the same thing: cancel old subscription and start a new one.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Can't you just look to see which card you have on file? Someone I know doesn't want to cancel.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It's not "on file". Credit cards don't work that way anymore. When you make a charge, or sign up for a recurring payment, all the payor gets is a code that says they can charge that amount to the connected account. It's mostly anonymous. Most will still provide the card type as last four digits (Visa-7890), but even that isn't really necessary, and requires you to implement security to allow it's retrieval. We can't even get 2FA on our accounts...

10. Ranco

Ranco Avatar

I went through this a while ago. Contacted support and was told to just cancel and resub. I asked if it would credit me to keep the title progression and read find it would NOT. This made me mad enough to just not bother and let the sub die and stop supporting the game completely.

Like and behold the next month Port managed to charge my NEW CC that o had NEVER GAVE THEM....

I didn't bother to report them or fight it, but they seem to know how to get unauthorized CC information.... just sayin....

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well the person I was talking about just canceled and re-subbed with his new card. So that's done. Hopefully he doesn't lose any progress from doing it.

12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I cancelled my subscription and Port has not charged any of my other cards that I did not give them. Will do a new subscription on a new card.

13. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Can somebody confirm, that this is the case? Or is support wrong here. Basically cancelling and reopening a subscription while it is still in its running paid period should not cancel out the progression for title, since the sub is still running uninterrupted.
    In my subscription history the month are counting up, although I had a credit card renewal inbetween (which also required me the clumsy cancel and redo subscription), which does not reflect as break in the subscription history here.

*Salute*
    Olahorand

14. Ranco

Ranco Avatar

I only mention it as a caution that I was TOLD that canceling and renewing would be considered a "new" subscription. Reality was I did nothing and they found a way to charge my new card despite not being given the information.

Now with that said my subscription was NOT in fact interrupted.

Also of note I suppose is the customer support person that gave me that information no longer works there. She went someplace else....

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Credit card companies can apparently automatically update the information if it is the same account when the expiration date changes or the card number is changed. If it's true what someone said that companies get some sort of token thingy to use for the monthly charge, it even makes sense.

I was never under the impression that it would reset your progression, and it would seem like more trouble to make it work that way than to simply increment a number every month in your game account data... and I vaguely remember it being mentioned that way in the monthly livestreams when it was new. Just because someone who gets their paycheck from Port gave you a "safe" answer when put on the spot doesn't mean they knew how it worked. Even Chris would probably be fuzzy on how it works if asked, since he's involved in the game stuff, not the store stuff or billing stuff.

16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yes, that is how it works. Basically Visa and Mastercard have a service you can opt out if you ask, the acronym for it is ABU/VAU, which will result in your bank allowing transactions to continue to go through with the Token when a card renewal happens. This service is not used in case of Fraud or Lost/Stolen credit cards though. So yes, if your credit card info changes slightly (expiry date, CVC/CVV code) and it was not the result of a fraud or a lost/Stolen credit card, then companies will still charge you when they have an authorisation for automatic billing.

*source, I am an instructor for a bank's credit card branch

Elwyn, Jaesun and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  17. Ranco

Ranco Avatar

Well that is certainly good information, however the card was replaced exactly because it WAS compromised and had fraudulent charges that the bank had to stop payment on and issue new card. So.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.