Deck's and Multiple Skills for one shortcut spot

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by knightly, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knightly

knightly Avatar

I made a couple decks and got decent at swapping back and forth, of course both decks have all locked spots. it all made sense.
    Then I tried adding multiple moves to the same shortcut spot, seems cool when I use one move on that spot the next one will pop up right. Did the same for some of my buffs. Put 3 buffs on one shortcut spot so you would think cast one buff the next will come up cast it and the next will come up. You would think... But they would randomly come up in no particular order. So I might get the same one over and over 3 times, what good is that?
    Then if that is all you want to edit your deck, you have to fill the rest of it for some reason, so as to not get slugs. If you fill the rest of the deck spots with the same moves you now have stacked for one shortcut spot you really get some random things popping up.
    Then half the time if I don't use the move it just slowly disappears, sometimes if I use a move on a different shortcut(a locked one) then a move of my shortcut that is supposed to toggle between a couple moves just disappears?
    Sometimes there is just no moves in the two slots that are set to multiple skills? I mean what in the word is going on here just seems like a huge mess.
    So you have the option to just use all locked spot and use auto attack ya I get it. but who wants to be sub-par not me.
    So at this point it is just to big of a turn off for me to continue. Which sucks because I had found everything else about the game pretty cool so far.
    I get wanting to have something different from every other game but between skills using the same shortcuts, charging basic attacks or not charging glyph attacks or not, stacking, etc etc for me it is just to much. Maybe it is my age.
    I guess my two question would be. Are these game systems set in stone? is there a chance they might be changed or removed?
    If not I will just move on if so I will keep watching and checking back.

2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

That unlocked spot, I like to call my dynamic spot. So, the way it works is think of it like cards, and your deck is all those skills you have on the right side of your deck editor. You draw a card off the top and its random, then that card will got into a spot that it can fall into and if a card is already in that spot, nothing happens cuz there is already a card in the way. Now say there is no card in the way, you draw the card and it goes into that spot then you use it right away. Now that one card its on its own cooldown for the time of the cooldown of the skill. You now draw another card and it will go into its spot.

I will use an example to make this clearer. I have a deck with 9 locked skills and one spot dynamic that has 14 cards in it, 5 punctures, 5 offhand attacks and 4 leg sweeps. When i go into combat and start drawing cards, they will go into that spot if its open. Those 3 skills have low cooldowns so I will probably not run into an issue of not having a card to draw. now lets say i have 5 dodge, 5 parry and 4 night visions. Those skills all have 30 second cooldowns, so if I keep using all the cards as they draw into that spot, they will eventually stop drawing as they will be on cooldown and I will have to wait 30 seconds from the time I cast the first one for it to become possible to be drawn again.

This is a video I made trying to help with the understanding of how the deck system works.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Mac2 likes this.
  4. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Avatar

Thanks for the tutorial @Mac2 makes more sense to me now. Much appreciated thank you

Mac2 likes this.
  5. golruul

golruul Avatar

Have you ever compared this with 3 dynamic spots, each one having its own card? Like spot 1 is all punctures, spot 2 all offhand attacks, spot 3 all leg sweeps.

My fear is that with only having 1 dynamic spot, I would be waiting too long for a card to appear. Whereas with 3 dynamic spots, if the first doesn't have anything, I can fall back on #2 or #3.

6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Well you would be wasting the other 2 slots in that example. You will always have either a leg sweep, puncture, or offhand attack in the dynamic spot if they're the only unlocked glyphs in the deck. So you have 9 locked spots and then you just use the 1 dynamic for things you don't want to charge. Then the unlocked glyphs just pop up over and over. And since they're all similar attacks, it doesn't matter which one pops up.

golruul likes this.
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Actually its not like that at all, because your card draw rate it what determines how long you wait for a card to appear. Having 1 spot compared to have 3 or 8 or whatever does not matter cuz that does not change your card draw rate. If you do stop drawing cards that not from you card draw rate, but because of the cooldowns on the skills. if you are having this issue, you just need to add more cards so that does not happen or change to lower cooldown skills

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

@Mac2 You can maybe tell me if I am wrong, but I remember testing things out with someone else on here, and we had come to the conclusion that having more than one unlocked spot COULD cause some issues in some cases if you only allow 1 glyph type per slot, and here is why :

Lets say all your 10 slots are slots on the table. Your locked slots act as if the dealer would take all those cards out of your deck, lay them all one atop the other, and every time you use it, after a small while (Cooldown), he places the used ones back on the slot.
    Then you have your dynamic slots. The dealer has your deck in hand, and everytime he pulls a card (draw time), he places it in an available slot. You can tell the dealer "I only want This card Here, no other card can go there", and he will listen. Now the issue with this is if he draws a card, but he can't place it anywhere, he will kind of stop there and wonder what to do with it, which will result in slowing down the dealer (Draw Time), meaning you will get less cards, and result in having more down time.

This might actually be false and just coincidence, but I've always felt like it happened like that.

@golruul I've been using the 1 dynamic slot deck for a little while now (Needed some change in my play style) and you wont notice much downtime to be honest. maybe keep 1 locked slot with a skill (I have Puncture, Leg Sweep and Pull on my 1 dynamic slot, and Skewer in my locked slot). and this works perfectly fine!

golruul likes this.
  9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The dealer does not stop, he just throws that card back into the deck in a random spot and moves on to the next card once its time to draw again. It does not slow down the draw time, the draw time is always the same. You just didnt use the one card and block that next card from coming down. The times when you hit non draw is when all those cards are on cooldown, therefore making you deck size 0 till the cooldowns start to come off.

This video shows that.

10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

So what you are saying is the draw time will be the same but since hes got nowhere to place it, it goes back to the bottom. In this case, if it takes 3 cards before he can place it, it must be 3x longer for that specific one right? So the result is the same bit what happens in the background is different right?

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Not back to the bottom, but back into the deck at random.

12. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Just a reminder for those interested that today's livestream is supposed to be about deck building too. https://www.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar at 4 PM Central.

I will say that as a newish player who doesn't generally care about combat and usually avoids it when possible, I've still been really enjoying this combat system and experimenting with decks, so I'm intrigued with the possibilities. Generally play with 2-3 unlocked slots but never with empty ones -- all the unlocked slots have a set of glyphs assigned to them. Once my skills are high enough to have 3 copies of a glyph, I rarely see a blank slot in combat. Haven't even started figuring out charging or stacking yet, though -- that can wait till I'm better at understanding the basics!

Jaesun, Mac2 and Aldo like this.
  13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The deck system was one of the 3 things that made me get back into gaming for this game.

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

This video might help then.

15. golruul

golruul Avatar

Hmm, thanks all for responses.

Seems I've been doing dynamic slots wrongly for all this time. Time to welcome back some locked skills into my decks!

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.