Player Owned Dungeons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fenrus MacRath, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I have spent some time randomly checking out peoples dungeons and I have seen some pretty cool designs. I saw one that actually has a working train station that will deliver you to each different wing of the dungeon and bring you back out again. I have seen some very cool designs and some pretty hectic fights. The one thing that I noticed most universally across the whole field of PODs is that the loot REALLY sucks. For the amount of risk and the level of mobs defeated, I would be far better off fighting in the Rise or the Fall. I realize that this is probably a measure used to discourage exploits and to limit gold /artifact drops, but I think it really hamstrings a great feature of the game. What are your opinions on the positives and negatives of Player owned dungeons ? What would you change? Is there a page set up to showcase some of these dungeons? Like Tavern Tuesday, maybe a Dungeon of the week club. 50 or so crazed outlanders charging in , killing everything in sight, stealing the copper plumbing and then drinking a bunch of 25 year old whiskey and getting in debates about crafting.

2. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I think the drop loot should be the same for encounters in player dungeons, as does it really matter whether or not players spend all their time in player dungeons, as long a they're playing SotA. Also, how can we as players exploit things in player dungeons versus dev created areas anyway. Additionally, we should be able to have encounters in halls, as the halls in player dungeons are extremely boring, because nothing but decos can be placed in them (at least I think decos can be placed in player dungeon halls, I've never tried). If the devs are worried about us somehow exploiting things by trapping mobs in between to pieces of furniture while spamming AOE spells, skills, and ranged weapon damage at them then they should make it so you can't place decos (other then flat wall decos) in a hall with an encounter. You can either have decos (other then flat wall decos) or encounters in halls. Plus they need mixed encounter rooms not just Lich, Troll, Kobold, etc. specific encounter rooms, and there should also be low-level encounter rooms as not everyone in SotA is a god, so there should be player dungeon encounter rooms for low level new players to play through too.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  3. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

If Port wants to watch the game leap forward in content, they will finish the NPC conversation/questing system and commit to pumping out more NPC types, dungeon rooms and quest mechanics, so the lowly outlanders can start building their own worlds that will support the copper plumbing and distillery raid you mentioned.

They need to stop discriminating on loot, so it's worth a player's time to fight in player-owned dungeons. It's just a novelty until this is addressed, and they have spent months on something no one is going to seriously use.

4. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Beaumaris and Fenrus MacRath like this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Fenrus MacRath likes this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

@Chris

7. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Really do love the POD system and with the new tools they added it could be amazing. I am super happy that there appears to be no crippling design flaws like a lot of the other systems and the only real problems can be adjusted easily(Loot drop, allow for hallway patrols, etc.) This could really be a home run!

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  8. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

and doors to hide what is on the other side... more secret doors... traps... etc.

twofoldsilence likes this.
  9. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

If we want to go absolutely wild, programmable NPCs to do our own versions of quests.... OOOH.. Goosebumps

Black Tortoise and Cordelayne like this.
  10. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

It sounded like that was the plan. Custom NPCs that players could write conversation trees / quests for.

11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

How'd they pull that off?

12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’d like a room condition, can’t advance till the room has been cleared. Right now I can dbl trpl speed boost threw before my rooms even know what’s happening.

13. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I think there should be interactivity between player dungeons and Novia at least in the loot tables - reasons that you go into the dungeon so that you can find something that can be used outside of the dungeon. And vice versa.. something you can find in your travels throughout Novia that can be used inside of player dungeons. Reasons for players to go back and forth and not be stuck in one area of the game.

In some of the initial concepts I had for player dungeons before the player created dungeon system launched I imagined there would be procedural dungeon levels that could be purchased in blocks of 5 or 10, etc. Maybe procedural dungeons can be added to player dungeon system at a later date - all player dungeon owners might start out with 5 floors or levels of procedural dungeon with randomly generated mobs and you could upgrade the amount of levels - the more dungeon levels you have the more progressively difficult the dungeon is. This would be more of a traditional dungeon dive experience like Wizardry. These dungeons might have boss/mini-boss encounters every 10 or 20 procedural dungeon levels.

I also thought players would be able to connect dungeons together. When connected, this would create a daily quest/puzzle of sorts in each player's dungeon and the puzzles would need to be solved in each player's dungeon and this would spawn an additional more difficult boss and/or perhaps a treasure room with chests instead. Another thing that might be cool is spawning those treasure piles and make them loot containers.

In order to solve the puzzles you might need material components that drop in Novia and in Player Created Dungeons - such as keys, relics, kobold engineered items, etc. These items would allow you to activate the puzzle. I'd make it so the procedural dungeon has good loot, but once the mobs are killed the spawners are deactivated until the dungeon has regenerated itself.

Also when connecting procedural dungeons together, this would grant the player with 5 dungeon levels and an extra 5 levels in the other player's dungeon - and would also include the puzzle room but they could not proceed beyond the 5 levels in the other players dungeon. The dungeon levels would be assigned somewhat randomly.. for example even though you have a 5 level dungeon - your 5 levels in the other player's dungeon might be on their level 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 level which is determined by the server. A player with a level 10 dungeon would get 10 additional levels by connecting it to another player's level 10 or higher dungeon etc. Not sure if any of this is possible.

14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

absolutely! id like to craft tier 2, 3, and 4 dungeons!

15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Im pretty sure this was part of the kickstarter plans :)

16. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

There was information on 7/12/2019 live stream that they are aware the loot on higher tiers is not scaling right now. Sounds like they plan to fix it.

17. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

It's the mine-cart basement foyer.

Duke Ezekiel Cooper likes this.
  18. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

You will have to check it out. @Chris should do a livestream from there. It is Ezekiel Coopers dungeon in Black Rock Cove. Guy went all out

19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, okay. It sounded like there was something more elaborate going on. (Not to imply the dungeon isn't; just that I read it as though something tricksy was being done.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.