Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Do we really need 29 advertisements every 35 minutes?

Discussion in 'Release 68 Feedback' started by Mac2, Jul 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Can I have the option to just instantly trash this crap? I see this like a telemarketer, If I wanted your product, I would ask and go and find it, I dont need you to message me 20 times every 35 minutes trying to sell me something I do not want or need.

I will go sell the torches I get to an npc just to keep that 1 coin in the game, but I will ALWAYS purposely trash these messages to make it cost that person more coin to make more, and I will NEVER go buy from this person now as I see them like a telemarketer, pure annoyance. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/359168110713896971/604453318072205313/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/359168110713896971/604453491917979658/unknown.png

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yep. they don't just cost the sender. that's opportunity cost to the receiver: a slot for loot that they rolled for successfully that COULD have been something of value.

Mac2 likes this.
  3. CICI

CICI Avatar

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Mac2 likes this.
  5. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Because your worn pages, and anyone else who wants to promote a player quest, event, or other non-spam service, are competing for loot rolls with all the spam...

I really really really want a way to prevent things like this spam -- but I don't currently see a way to do so without also preventing the rest of us from using the same option in more beneficial ways. The devs clearly don't have the time to police it.

The only thing I can see that might work is sufficient peer pressure. I decided the first time I got one to never buy from that seller, but he couldn't care less about me as one lone player, and I wouldn't expect him to. Any pressure would have to come from the more influential players he does care about, en masse -- and I'm not convinced that enough of them care to make a difference.

Perhaps instead of trashing them, we should just forward them all to Atos or Darkstarr. :) But I really don't want to see the option eliminated for everyone.

Mac2, Mishikal, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

While we're on the subject....

I had an idea that included doing this kind of spam for Mystic Dyes only the thing is if someone receives a copy, it's got say a 50% chance for a free magic dye if mailed back to me with color request. Would that work for you guys or is it just all spam to you?

Violette Dyonisys and Mac2 like this.
  7. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

For me, I think quantity and immersion are the issue. If I'm getting multiple copies every time I go adventuring, it's spam. If I'm getting even one copy a week, it's spam. If I get only one copy ever of your particular flyer, and it includes something that offers me an actual possible benefit, or that contributes to the world-building, that's a good use of the system.

Even the bow spam -- the very first one I received, I kind of liked. It was written in a more immersive way, I looted it off a bandit in an outskirts, and it was advertising a service that both newbies and bandits might conceivably use. It was believable that a bandit might be carrying this around, dreaming of the day he could afford a better bow. It concerned me, because I immediately saw the possibilities for abuse, but I didn't consider that first one to be spam.

It was the second, and the fifth, and the dozenth, and the thirtieth, and the fifty-seventh.....

8. Griffler

Griffler Avatar

Same same. We have a traders channel now for a reason.

Mac2 likes this.
  9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Thank you, that's what I was hoping to hear. Yes, the point is to make it fun and worth the inventory space my letter would take.

Mac2, Belladonna Rose and Bedawyn like this.
  10. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

i sent out a few...kinda like scavenger hunt....get the note...find the items and return it all to me for a prize. No big uber prize but something for taking the time to do it.

Hazard, By Tor, Mac2 and 3 others like this.
  11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ok, well I like the idea that some of you had here, a few notes, but not enough that im getting 29 per 30 minutes, thats just INSANE. I WAS going to take this matter into my own hands and put out a ton of offensive notes to end this crap, but I wont do that now, as its not the idea that I do not like, its the amount im getting and 3 differnt types that mix in with my sale receipts and just make it a pain in the ass searching through from one person, would not be SOO bad if they were all the same in the same section.

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, not a perfect solution, but one way to make it harder would be to only add one item with the same contents/underlying ID to the loot tables. So each of those duplicates, which are easy to make by copying a book (or just using copy/paste, assuming they utilize a de-duplicator to reduce the amount of data they need to store/track) would only count as a single item in the loot table, no matter how much they sell to a vendor. In order to span you, they would need to make each version unique. That is something quest items would already strive to do, anyway.

On top of that, limit the number of items coming in from a single player. If you are finding that many, how many items did that player have to sell to a vendor in order to get them into the loot tables? If only, say, 50 items "crafted by" a specific player could be purchased by a vendor per day, spammers would have a much lower margin over others.

Yes, I realize its easy to get an alt and use them to create the exact same spam message. That notwithstanding (and, to be fair, we need better "plagiarism" detecting and blocking, which would prevent this), its better than what we have today.

Hazard and Elwyn like this.
  13. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I feel honoured Im yet to have one of these advert messages...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.