The Price of Mannequins makes little sense.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KDH, Jul 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDH

KDH Avatar

Almost 10,000 coto for 6 mannaquins? The logic behind this, due to performance cost of the mannequin, is make them expensive so folks wont put 50 of them around their house, which would make sense, if we couldn't make them ourselves, and the ones we can make have the same performance cost.

I say we all put 50 player made ones around our houses, and see if the price comes down :)

I feel they are just losing revenue on them, and when you love sota like alot of us, you hate to see that.

Buy 6 mannequins or almost afford to buy the new city home. Not a difficult choice.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    K1000, Crendel, Beaumaris and 2 others like this.
  2. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I heard mention that there is a HUGE performance hit because of them. So, if we all did this I think the servers would melt before the price dropped.

Elwyn likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Craftable ones take 100 boards. Won't be a lot of people crafting them, either.

4. KDH

KDH Avatar

Well, this isnt the path I even thought this conversation was going to take. I dont think they are greedy, and I love SOTA, and im confident it is the best MMORPG out there. I was just trying to use logic, to show that the price of the mannaquins is just too high. Didnt mean to get anyone riled up.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  5. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Via the live stream, the price was bumped high due to mannequins having the same render cost as a player. So I believe the price was set to attempt to avoid a flood of them causing a pre-plague Ardoris situation. RIP Dustin the Butcher.

6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Mannequins are cool. But at that price I am passing.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  7. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

As @Jefe mentioned and Chris/Starr stated on the livestream, the high price / crafting cost is an intentional deterrent due to the high performance costs. Each mannequin is the equivalent performance cost as a player with many shaders and textures being applied.

Additionally, each mannequin counts as 6 internal containers, so there is a limitation on how many can be placed on a property.

I currently have 11 crafted mannequins in just one shop and plan to fit a few more.

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It would be nice to be able to "bake" an outfitted mannequin, but I expect the tech for that is considerable, and likely not happening anytime soon.

Jaesun and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  9. KDH

KDH Avatar

@Jefe, @Oakenhammer. Yes, I was in that stream as well, I am sorry i left off the words: due to performance cost, in my first post, which seems to have gotten you both off track. If we can make them, there is no justification for the very high cost, that was my only point. The ones we make have the same performance cost as the ones in the store. Lost revenue was my main concern here, because they certainly would be making more money if the cost was more on point, and I hate that they are missing out on that. I personally, was prepared to buy alot of them, but will just make them instead, and that is a shame, because I love supporting the best game ever<3

Examples: I currently have 11 crafted mannequins in just one shop and plan to fit a few more. Mannequins are cool. But at that price I am passing.

EDIT: I added the words due to performance cost, in my original post.

Bow Vale and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I agree, had the prices been better, or the crown shop poses be a pattern, I would buy some. At 20$ each, I wont buy a single one and will craft them If I want some. If they wanted to limit the use of em, high prices wont work, but limit their slots on a lot and that will work. It is simply unfortunate that for the wrong reasons and wrong execution, they will lose revenu.

Senash Kasigal and KDH like this.
  11. KDH

KDH Avatar

I think you kind of nailed it there. Simply limiting the number of them allowed, like vendors. Even with that limit, if the price was more on point, I would have bought over 20, cause I have a few houses that I want them at, but for now, I must go a chopping:)

12. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

So they create an item. The item, if it is popular will cause performance issues. So to avoid it they raise the price in $$$ to govern/limit the number of these purchased in the HOPES of limiting the impact. <- - - - Seriously? Am I the only one that is sitting here saying how ridiculous this sounds???

If they can’t create something as simple as a mannequin without impacting performance then the underlying architecture or engine of this game is broke. Or the story is a farse and under the guise of this excuse is a money grab. Or a mixture of these two. I honestly believe it is both.

13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

#JustBzusThings

14. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

So where is the recipe for these crafted Mannequins?
    I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Astirian likes this.
  15. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

What strikes me as odd is that the price actually isn't high comparable to other items in the store. People paid sometimes hundreds to thousands of dollars for homes, air ships, statues, etc. The idea that a $100 price would limit purchases seems a bit of a stretch to me.

16. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

The Owl's Head carpenter has both of them. Just search for mannequin.

Rowell and Astirian like this.
  17. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I'm not going to be in your basement or dungeon. And apparently I'm never going to be in Bowen's or KDH's lots either. :) Major NPC towns, though, if people fill their row lot shops with mannequins and I have to go past them to finish the quests....

18. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

Bought both from the Ardoris carpenter. Took me 30 min to make the boards and bindings for 6 maniquins. Well worth not spending the 91 bucks...

Tomorrow I will have a "I am Legend" record store scene

K1000 and Astirian like this.
  19. Arturius Magnus

Arturius Magnus Avatar

And they are still buggy... I put a 2015 Grim Reaper mask on a crown bought mennequin and the Skull face is not seen becouse the wooden face portrudes too much and invades the mask.

THe arms also have issues...

20. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

if they are that much of a performance hit, why didnt they make them count as like 40 decos or something so that wherever you place them it becomes limited by that

Jaesun, AlmostGivenUp and Dhanas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.