Issues as a new player

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by vladthelad, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vladthelad

vladthelad Avatar

I'd like to voice a few issues that I've had with the game. The questing system is mostly broken from what I've played so far, most of the time having to re-log just to finish a conversation with an NPC. The Outskirts area's are where I've encountered the bugs most frequently and some in Ardoris, it's a shame because I feel that a lot of people trying the game aren't giving it a chance because of these problems.

I'm also incredibly confused by the removal of the starter island (Storm Isle I think it was called), the Island would've given me the chance to further understand why i'm here. Instead, i'm dropped in the aftermath of a battle with no idea what's going on. I fail to realise why this couldn't have been replaced with a simple toggle tutorial button?

I have also found that some of the fan related links on the main website don't work anymore; Relics by Rild is currently unavailable for example, why is this?

Overall my experience as a new player has been a very mixed bag. I enjoy the story, deck combat system and community but unfortunately most of these positives are overshadowed by bugs and/or performance issues. I had a few friends start a character with me, unfortunately they'd all quit within the first 2 hours due to bugs, clunky movement, awkward animations and performance issues. It doesn't help with all the negativity surrounding the game and it's Development team. I'm yet to find out if they are as disconnected from the game and it's community as people are making it out. It's a real shame because from what I've played so far, in concept it has the potential. However I will continue to play as at the moment I am still enjoying the experience despite its issues.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The bug related to turning in quests has been identified and will be fixed in the next release. Just FYI, and that was particularly a bad bug.

The removal of the isle of storms was to allow new users to just quickly start playing and to just cover some basics. The devs noticed many people were not even finishing the Isle of storms, and would just quit. The removal of that was rather sad for people who actually like more of a lore related experience.

Do hope you will stay around. Hopefully more improvements will be coming.

3. vladthelad

vladthelad Avatar

Oh that's good news.

Yeah I feel I missed out with that bit of content, like I said, could've easily been replaced by a toggle tutorial on/off button surely.

FrostII and Jaesun like this.
  4. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

A few months ago, they completely re-did the starting experience on Isle of Storms. After the character creation and the quick tutorial with movement keys and reading a self help book, you were offerred a chance to go to the training area by talking to a mischevious child. That was kind of an on off toggle for the additional training area. You could accept the additional training or just go on to the story line.

That was working very well. I loved it. I have no idea why they would remove that after spending so long determining what was wanted and needed and coding and implementing it. It was very nice.

The story line areas for the three principles, Truth, Love and Courage still had a few bugs in the quests, but you could finish those and go on to the outskirts. This was also a very good way to introduce new players to the story lines and bring them on into the world via the outskirts. There was no need to eliminate the Blood River Massacre and the Highvale and Solace Bridge starting areas that used to occur between Isle of Storms and the Outskirts. Those were well thought out regarding story line continuation. There were a few more bugs to fix, but not so much that these needed to be scrapped.

Bring that back. The Isle of storms child and the story line quest areas before the outskirts, that is.
    @DarkStarr @Sannio

Paladin Michael and Bedawyn like this.
  5. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

The Battle of Solace Bridge starting area is still there, it's just the other two (and Isle of Storms) that were removed. However, I agree with you on everything else. I'm still hoping they'll bring the other two back and return player choice as a significant factor in our game experience. Mind you, I don't expect my hopes to be realized any time soon, but I haven't completely given up.

6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

A Large percentage of people QUIT before ever finishing.
    Hence it was pulled.

Cordelayne and Jaesun like this.
  7. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

I started up a new character when I came back to the game, and one thing I've noticed is that what to do and where to go sometimes is still massively confusing, if you don't already know. Getting through the first main area (of each virtue) is not that hard, and there are a few problems (like one I've come into with Blood River) but you can generally get to the next area after the main starting one. And then it gets convoluted, confusing and sometimes just broken. I'm almost at the point of just quitting again because of how frustrating just trying to get through these missions are. Yeah, I can ask someone in game to help me, but that really destroys the flow of a game for me and shows me that it's still not fixed.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes, some of the flow and actions of some quests can get a bit confusing. However the blue compass markers as well as the actual journal entries (press the J key), are usually well stated as what to do next. Also saying the correct keyword can sometimes be confusing as well.

This is actually incorrect. I have almost finished every quest in the game, and have not found a single one that is broken. Mac recently has his 16th alt and also has run through most all of the quests as well and did not find any that were broken. Certainly, something could be broken, but it’s usually a case of not sure what to do next, not reading the journal etc....

Out of sheer curiosity, could you tell me which specific quest you are having difficulty with? I’d like to know if it is broken, or if it’s just a case of confusion, or even a case of not reading the actual journal entry.

And no worries, I won’t spoil anything for you, I probably could nudge you in the right direction.

rebbieforever and Cordelayne like this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I don't know if they fixed it yet, but before I left on my trip there was something causing quest turn in to get borked. I don't think it was quest specific, and my guess was it was internet related.

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That specific problem was thankfully identified and fixed.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  11. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

And yet, just last night, another new player couldn't do any of the Soltown quests because ALL of the NPCs were doing the quit-conversation-too-soon thing. And all of her stream viewers who weren't already SotA players got to see that, and to see that those who were SotA players couldn't give her any response except "yeah, bugs." (And, no, logging in and out didn't solve the problem)

Pretty sure telling them the quest system doesn't have any problems because you managed to complete things isn't going to change their first impressions. (Luckily, this particular new player was likely already hooked before that happened.)

Kelly O'Shay, Gorthyn, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Thank you for your feedback :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Has this been reported? I don’t see any report of this happening?

Can you also provide the link to this stream where this was happening?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Devs need to know about this then. Even if the new player doesn't submit it, please do so with all the info you know as this is a huge deal.

Cordelayne and Jaesun like this.
  15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Currently checking with a new character right now.

16. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Maybe if we knew who it was you could go back and watch the stream to see what the bugs were and submit a report.

Jaesun likes this.
  17. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

There were several of us watching the stream. By now, I don't see any point in reporting a problem that has been reported so many times before. Can't look up the URL right now, but the streamer was AmetisRising on Twitch, for those of you intent on blaming all the game's problems on user stupidity.

As for "Checking with a new character"... since there's already been another patch, and the problem has always been intermittent, that's also pointless. It's like insisting that since you've never been caught in the rain, rain doesn't exist and the people who say it does are all just idiots spilling water on themselves.

18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m currently not seeing this bug happening when turning in quest items in Soltown? Is anyone seeing this happening. This is with a new character.

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Please post the link to this stream where this bug was happening, and I’ll report it then.

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Please stop complaining about stuff then.

When we reported this to the Devs, with links to a bunch of different reports, they got on it and thought they had it licked. I know they don't want it happening, and if it is then it needs to be shown to them.

If you just throw up your hands and say "it'll never be fixed so I'm not reporting it" then I really don't want to hear any more complaints.

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.