A Worn Page Event

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Anpu, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I have sold 10 "A Worn Page" labeled pages to a vendor on June 25th. At some point (I hope) these will enter the loot tables.

Each of these has a unique 8 digit serial number and are pages crafted by me. They are worth 50 COTO's each if you return them to me (as long as the serial number matches and they have not been claimed before) ;)

The text in the letters do say that I (Anpu) might want this page back. If you do happen to find one of these, do send them back to me or feel free to message me in game and hand it to me. Also I am totally RP friendly, and if you want to reply to me in a RP way, I will always act accordingly in an appropriate RP fashion.

I'm kind of doing this out of my own pocket as a thank you to the community, as well as an open experiment for others to try other possible in game quests run by players!

I also do plan to do this again, at possibly regular intervals. I just need to see how this first run goes so far. I just do not know which specific Release these will (hopefully) show up in. So do keep an eye out for "A Worn Page" that might possibly drop as loot from humanoid creatures (I'm assuming).

Good luck!

Since the likelihood of anyone finding this is just too small, a new event is now on. Please see details here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/worn-page-event-release-68.158027/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Lily Byrd, Cordelayne, Sonja and 19 others like this.
  2. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Hi Jaesun, I do not know if all 10 of your pages will ever make it to a loot drop (Or even 1 of them). I am not sure what the numbers are as far as a %, but I assume that only a small % goes to loot and the rest goes to the abyss. My Alt sells literally 3000 fliers a week to various vendors and I think at best 10% are dropping in loot. (Get Your Bows from the PROS!!) You might need to sell 100 and just note that the first 10 will be accepted or something like that. Otherwise, post them on obscure public vendors around the globe and see who finds them.

Sonja, Maya SaintClaire and Jaesun like this.
  3. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I do LOVE this idea though. Well done

4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Ohh gosh I love this Idea and it gives me so many other Ideas! Nice one Anpu!

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Thank you for those numbers! I actually got one of your Kid Bows advertisements the other day, and that's when I said let's go ahead and announce this. And see what happens. I'm thinking based on your numbers, probably only 1 or 2 will ever enter the table (if at all). But at least we have a some information, and if these ever do show up we will know more!

And that right there is why I wanted to do this. :)

6. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Maybe the thing to do is make about 300 of each numbered flier and sell those to the vendors. Then Post up the last 2 digits of each serial number on the forums so people can see if their flier has already been activated. I also really like the idea of you posting one on a public vendor in one of the empty cities and letting people look for it. It might revitalize the use of those vendors. If this first round takes off, I would be willing to donate some cotos to your prize pool. The more I think about this, the more I like it!

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Just curious how you have any idea how many are going into the loot. Is the 10% just a total guess? I've found like 7 or 8 of your flyers so far, how do you know when someone finds one?

Maya SaintClaire and Bedawyn like this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Next time I try this, I will probably do a qty of 300. I was just out of sheer curiosity wondering what a size of 10 would do, when entering the loot tables. And based on the numbers of how many you are selling, 300 is probably a good size for a random prize. But we shall see!

I'd rather post public information (in game) on a bulletin board. Even though yes, NO ONE ever reads them, but hey.... plus a while a ago I found a TON of crafted blank bulletin board fliers in drops! I'll probably do this when I try the 300 qty.

I have seen over the years, people selling paper that are part of a player ran quest, on public vendors. Don't know if anyone is still doing that anymore.

Thank you for that offer! I will be keeping meticulous notes from winners IF I ever get any, and share this with the community as well. If I DO finally get one of these back, I'll contact you to discuss this, if you are still interested.

Of note, one other thing I SHOULD have changed (just to help any other people thinking of doing anything like this) was the name of the page. I named them "A Worn Page". I probably should have named them "A Worn Page (Player Run Quest Item)", something like that to just be a bit more clearer.

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Does number 76368655 win? If not, I can just type another random eight digits and check with you ... :D

I'll stop... hehe

Jaesun likes this.
  10. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Its an educated guess. Based on the amount of fliers I too receive in relation to the amount of other peoples crafted goods. Don't get me wrong, I could be WAY off base with my estimates. So I sold about 11000 with one message 15000 with another and 5000 with a 3rd over the course of 2 months. I get back about 2 fliers a day and a lot of my friends get a couple a day too. At the same time, i get between 5 or 6 other crafted items from various random players. It makes sense that only a small percentage of items are being transferred into loot tables. If the whole 30K were dropping, I would either be the richest crafter in the game, or my burned corpse would still be smoldering in some village square.

11. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Yes, I am and please do! I can offer up other items as prizes as well. Its a great community effort to get folks involved.

Maya SaintClaire and Jaesun like this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Gotcha, that sounds reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if they're all going into the pool though. And there's just so much other stuff (mostly wolf/bear headdress) that its going to take a long long time for them to all filter out. Ive saved every player crafted thing ive found so far and I think more than half of them are headdresses lol.

13. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

@Jaesun I love the idea of your Warn Page event and will look forward to hopefully getting one! I have got 3 of @Fenrus MacRath's advertising pages which is a neat way to advertise!

14. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

15. Maya SaintClaire

Maya SaintClaire Avatar

WOW! @Jaesun ! This is a terrific idea and a ground breaker for player run quests. The possibilities are unlimited and adds a a whole new level of potential player influence on the overall scope and dynamic of the game experience in SOTA. To quote former Vice President Biden, "This is a big f___ing deal!" Bravo and well done, please please please continue this effort and like @Fenrus MacRath I too would be happy to contribute COTO's to your effort. It's this kind of thinking outside the box that can ultimately enable us to empower ourselves in new ways and add valuable and engaging new content to the game overall. Thank you xD The information you collect and share here on these forums is and will be valuable to us all.

16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I wanted to thank you Maya (and Marcus) for the donation you had sent earlier for this quest event! However (as I was expecting) the likelihood of anyone actually finding one of these letters is probably around 1 to 0% chance. I just did not make enough letters in the drop tables for this. And so far, no one has sent one to me yet.

However, your donation got me thinking and now I am going to use your donation (as well as my own) for a different, quest. Just going to try it as a test run. I just need to think about the particulars of this quest for a few, and then I will make an announcement in the proper Release number event thread, as soon as I am ready to do this. Also using and idea Fenrus game me.

I WILL however still honor the rewards for this event (50 coto's), in the (almost impossible)? chance someone DOES actually find one of these. :)

SO just keep checking the events forum..... ;)

New event is now live, check here for more information: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/worn-page-event-release-68.158027/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  17. Maya SaintClaire

Maya SaintClaire Avatar

You are most welcome @Jaesun ! We're happy to contribute to this effort of yours and super excited to see what transpires. No matter how much or how little response you get, this is very important research and very creative thinking on your part. You keep doing the research and we'll keep supporting! THUMBS UP!

COMMUNITY NOTE: Jaeson's testing of introducing items into the loot tables is a great example of how players themselves can be proactive about finding new ways to to have more influence over the game, how we as a community can affect the new player experience and could even be one new method of how we can potentially influence new player retention. I firmly believe that we as players can make a big difference in the eventual success or failure of SOTA. Jaeson has taken the initiative to explore new ideas, implement them and bring them to the community for review and scrutiny. In my mind that is something worth getting behind. I am really looking forward to finding out where his initiative and great ideas lead.

Cordelayne and Jaesun like this.
  18. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

This sounds great! I would like to do something similar eventually. Made me check a few public vendors around my home.

Maya SaintClaire and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.