Advice for a tamer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lady ShurTugal, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady ShurTugal

Lady ShurTugal Avatar

So like the title states I am a tamer who is specced in taming and I am wondering what other combat tree I should spec into that would pair well with the taming tree???? Any advice from the experienced tamers among us would be greatly appreciated. thx.

2. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

I was Fire before I specced Tamer and so currently Fire (spec)/Tamer (spec). It works but when fighting groups the DoT's generally draw agro from the mobs my pet is not currently hitting. I've been considering going Bow for single target damage to support the pet. Feels like it might be more synergistic.

Lady ShurTugal likes this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Honestly Taming pairs well with most things! Like bitsandbob said if you take an AoE heavy school you might take agro from your pet when fighting groups, but you could go Life spec and become a healer with a Pet doing your DPS in groups, you could go archer and help your pet take out its target faster, you could go any of the melee schools and mow through Targets with your pet. Basically Taming goes well with so many things, it really would be up to your playstyle!

Lady ShurTugal likes this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

If you like ranged combat with a bow, this pairs well with the Obsidian Destroyer bear (and other high level tames like this). As they have a better change of keeping arggo with the latest changes.

Keep in mind the taming specialization will open new powers for your pet beyond the grandmaster taming level. So you can only specialize in two things at one time.

a guide if you have not seen it - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...g-and-other-taming-skills-r66-updated.112216/

5. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

As others have said there are many schools that go well with taming but as you in time will likely be using lots of artifacts that boost the pet it negates your armour values/stats for normal play melee/ranged/mage thus i find a more supportive role like healing/sun is better suited. I had personally chose Sun Spec as i can control the npc's more easily with dazzle(with no aoe spells breaking mesmerise it works well) if it gets a little to heavy and pet/me taking to much damage. It has a great artillery style damage spell, Searing Ray that doesn't seem to generate to much aggro and is reagent free. Enlightenment with high attunement can add 100+ intelligence to a player which also adds focus to the pool and with the sun spec it adds a 15% or so critical hit chance with spells which helps all schools of magic and healing. I can still thus use other spells/aoe if i want but with a higher base damage and chance to critical hit/heal.

Healing Blast is also very useful to have on your bar if a tamer i find.

The escape skill in the light armour tree works wonders keeping aggro off you. Even if a mob targets you that you haven't yet attacked, using escape makes them take your pet as a target especially if it has been generating aggro it self for a while.

The Ring of the Mouse works well in negating the aggro you generate. Seems a bug with the Escape skill as the amount you de-aggro with the escape skill is approx. half of normal if you wearing the Mouse ring. I can set my Obdisdian Destroyer or T15 pet on a T15 opponent and once it has got a good amount of aggro use 5 stack fire ring and 5 stack meteor shower and not pull aggro with occasional escape uses and ring of mouse on.

I find the Razorback pig generates the most aggo, even more than the Bear.

The biggest damage dealer is not always the best choice as a pet. Bears and Pigs knock targets all over and it makes it harder to control the fight. Spiders do less damage and have less hp but they hold the fight generally in one spot. Also spiders are best for an archers pet i find as you can then get free back shots easily and their webbing keeps targets from chasing you if u get aggro.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.