Attention grabbing buff alert

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Barugon, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

While fighting, I very often forget to refresh my buffs. We really need some kind of an alert to let us know when a buff is about to expire. Something like this:

[​IMG]

The alert duration could be for say the last 10% of the buffs full duration with a minimum of 2 seconds and a maximum of 30 seconds.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

PLEASE NO. i do not want things flashing in my peripheral vision.

Beaumaris, Lesni, Ataniiq and 2 others like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Great idea ! :)

I understand completely, @Alley Oop , but I would LOVE it. Just put it on a dang "toggle" - see it or don't see it.
    Off for folks like you, or On for folks like Barugon and myself.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes!

margaritte and FrostII like this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For shields they have started doing this, the animation wears off before the actual effect. Noticed this with 4 minutes left to spare on my Immolation and Shield of Crystal. Obviously it's a bug, but does the job of reminding me to refresh them :p

Boris Mondragon, Dhanas and Barugon like this.
  6. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Would actually like to see all my buffs/durations when I’ve got like 10+ going.......

it’s pretty hard (as in can’t); to see how much time is left on your food buffs if you’re rocking full COTO+2Devotionals

Boris Mondragon and Lazlo like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I can't even see Shield of Air. Fortunately, it lasts more than 24 minutes.

8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I like combat in SotA, but buff management has to be the worst thing about it. You get a limited number of tiny unresizable buff icons, piles of mandatory short duration buffs, and a random drawn glyph system that can require constant attention.

I wouldn't mind having an option for blinking icons, but for me personally, I doubt it would even help that much. What I'd really like to have is visual indicators on the buff glyphs themselves that are on the combat bar. That'd be a lot easier to notice and would provide a little bit of an extra bonus for having glyphs on the bar in combat instead of swapping them in and out from a buff deck.

9. golruul

golruul Avatar

I like DDO's system where they put a timer on the skill icon in the hotbar itself. So if you see your buff on your hotbar without a timer, you know you need to cast it again.

Lazlo and John Markus like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I recall Chris and maybe others (LB maybe?) Saying they had the Hope's of this game not being a "manage your buffs to the second" game, which obviously failed but also would be in direct opposition of the way DDO does it. What they need to do is increase timers on some buffs and MAKE STANCES ACTUAL STANCES!

Boris Mondragon and devilcult like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yes. A big part of my previous build was based on not having to keep buffs up. Dash is great and all, but I went with Sprint because it lasted three times longer. With the new build, I'm back to most fights requiring buff management again. I'd love to see more of them (all buffs ideally, but I'd be fine with just shields and stances) being an On/Off toggle with a focus debuff, like pets.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Just remind me when death shield is about to wear off. Something like “Death Shield wearing off, five seconds before **** storm begins ” R/Boris

CatherineRose, Mac2 and Dhanas like this.
  13. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

amazing! I would LOVE that!

Boris Mondragon and Sentinel2 like this.
  14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The BEST system would be everyone has a number of buff POINTS. Each buff uses up those points. The buffs last 24 hours or until you die/remove them. Balance is obtained limiting buff points.

The current system of short duration, relatively weak buffs, multiple casts required could only be designed by someone who doesn't play their own game.

Adding blinkies doesn't fix an annoying, tedious, and unnecessary game mechanic. In fact, for some, it would make matters worse.

For anyone who thinks constantly refreshing buffs adds skill, you're something I won't say because momma said don't say anything if you have nothing good to say.

This would be such low hanging fruit to fix too, trivial even. An intern coder could add this feature.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, what's more likely: a massive change to the combat system (not trivial) that a lot of people will not like or a simple indication that can be turned off?

16. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

SOTA isn't known for a quality combat system. "Massive" changes could only help.

Lesni likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I disagree.

18. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

You can disagree all you want. When the game has a healthy, thriving, growing population, I'll agree with you.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I didn't ask you to agree with me. I simply don't agree with your assesment of SotA's combat system, which I think is one of SotA's best features.

20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

You like Linux too. So explains a lot. :) I WISH SOTA could capture more than significantly less than 1% of the MMO market.

Interesting, I was curious, and noticed I joined this game a day before you. So I have seniority! Oh how I wish it was possible to return to those days of naivety and hope. I'd certainly inform my past self a few things about SOTA.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.