Question on Non Magic Mastery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fenrus MacRath, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I know that raising mastery in the spell tree of your choice, increases the attunement for that particular school of magic. My question is, what about non attunement having skill mastery? Is there any reason to increase mastery in something like Swords or Tactics above the 80 points required to get the 6th stack tile? The description, as we all know is very vague and says nothing. I am not looking for someones opinion here, I want to know if anyone has verifiable proof that there is an advantage worth the tremendous XP cost to go from 80-100 or beyond.

Thank you.

2. Schulz

Schulz Avatar

I can only speak for blades, but if I remember correctly, I increased damage 7% every ten levels from 120-140.

Van

3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Almost all skill specific weapon spec benefits continue to improve on every skill up. I don't think it's possible to prove whether or not it's worth it without knowing specifically what you're comparing it to. The 81st level of any weapon spec is definitely better for the cost than the 200th level of anything.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

So how about non weapon skills, like tactics, Focus or Subterfuge? would you say they have similar gains of 7% per 10 levels?

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Are you possibly speaking of Specialization (6th stack, attunement... sorry if I am mistaken). If so, then dont look at the specialization tooltip to know what is going on, it will only increase by 25% every 20 levels (80 being 100%). It is always beneficial to increase specialization past 80, as it keeps on increasing the benefits on each skill, here are some examples :

Bludgeon Specialization at 80, 100% mastery,
    Ground Pound has a 50% chance to stun enemies hit

Bludgeon specialization at 100, 125% mastery,
    Ground pound has a 62.5% chance to stun enemies hit.

Blades specialization at 0, 0% mastery,
    Coup de grace can proc extra damage when target is a 20% or less HP

Blades specialization at 80,100% mastery,
    Coup de grace can proc extra damage when target is at 30% or less HP

Blades specialization at 160 (you mad lad), blade mastery at 200%,
    Coup de grace can proc extra damage at 40% or less HP.

Basically the benefit received from specialization for each active skill/spell will continue to gain in power, so yes, it is worth it (this is relative) to keep on increasing it.

6. Schulz

Schulz Avatar

I think most of the trees have a declining rate of increase. i.e Strength 100-110 was only a gain of 5 strength points ( I think I remember correctly) but the cost was 19 exp. It is only 12 million exp to get to gm in str but the fast gains are gone by 80. The primary combat skill are all the same, base damage increase. Skills outside of the combats (except for Taming) don't really have a primary skill (i.e. there is no skill called "tactics") just the specialization. I only know about the combat skills because I have taken several into the 12o-140 range. Sorry I don't have any more info for you.

Van

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Unless I misunderstood your post, skills and passives do not have a declining rate of increase at higher levels, you will gain as many points going from 10 to 20 as you would from 190 to 200. What will decline is the point per experience, considering experience climbs exponentially, but points climb in a linear fashion, you will get "diminishing returns" on experience.

So going from 20 Strength to 40 strength will give you 10 strength points, but cost somewhere around 40k exp, so 4000 exp per stat point, meanwhile from 100 to 120 it would cost 40m exp (inventing numbers here) but you will still get 10 stat points, so it will cost 4m exp per point. That's how diminishing returns work fro adventuring skills and passives. Now magic also has attunement to consider, and weapon skills also have the weapons base damage to consider.

8. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

69.5 million.

10. Schulz

Schulz Avatar

Yes, this is what I meant but I worded it poorly. Thanks for clarifying my muddy explanation!

Van

11. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

Simply put raising any skill will improve the ability, BUT after 80 get ready to grind xp, after 100 prepair for pain and after 120...I dont even see my green advancement bar move, even with a 300% potion, lol.

What do you call verifiable data, when you raise most blade skills you will see your base damage go up, I can verify that. One could produce a graph of diminishing returns...but you would have to define your original question of "I am not looking for someones opinion here, I want to know if anyone has verifiable proof that there is an advantage worth the tremendous XP"

The theory is get everything important to 80 then start to ask where will I get best bang for buck. Raising my blade mastery to 130 really did improve my damage to the point where I can now solo dragons...well blade mastery to 130 and many others to 120 (thrust, rend, double slash, etc).

So my verifiable data is I can solo the Rise orange Dragon in 4 min, that is because I have dumped an untold amount of xp to get here (and I dont want to know how much)

Xee likes this.
  12. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

With all skills continued growth in levels will net a + return. however with all skills the higher the level the longer that return becomes.

What does that mean for most depends on what their end goal is. for myself I am a min/max kind of guy. I focus all my points into the specific skills I use and hope to hit 200 on some to max out those skills. Some though prefer to dabble in many, some like the notion of GM's for every skill, some will spec some will not. In the end it comes down to what you want.

Looking at non magic skills I use wands for bludgeon. wands have little damage on them but guess what with 100+ skill each wand can hit 10-20 points, at 150 maybe 20-30 points. either way my wands are always in use as melee weapons which adds to my dps when hitting things so why not use them like a dot :) Pump up bludgeon to make it stronger.

Crendel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.