(NecroThread)Archery "adjustments"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Had some fun in Lost Vale today. Couldn't do it solo, but I got a lot farther than I thought I would. Might have even been able to do the Epitaph bit if it wasn't for dirty dirty Confusion. (OMFG I hate Confusion. An attack that makes playing the game impossible for average people with average finger dexterity that can be spammed by mobs, and whose only counter has a stupid long cooldown? GREAT IDEA, JERKS.) I think at this point, I just need to start piling XP into the masteries (Air and Tactics at 80) and bump up some of the skills. Most (Air Shield, Air's Embrace, Berserker) are at GM, base Ranged at 130. Someday I'll see those 1k crits...

StarLord and Barugon like this.
  2. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I can do all of lost vale except the siege, with 100 in spec for both tactics and air, 108 air shield, 100 base air attunement (so 120 with the spec), 130 ranged combat, 115 eagle eye, 115 draw strength, the +30 dex/-10 str buff, +5 dex, +5 str blessings, and 2 +5 dex foods. The trick to the cabalist is to take out everything else, go to the upper floor and walk backwards while shooting... hard to do with confusion, but possible. I keep a bunch of anti-confusion potions on me too that I used when possible. The siege just wipes me out in the second round regardless. They hit me with damage faster than I can absorb it.

Violette Dyonisys and Barugon like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Good to know. I've got 100 in all those except the masteries, which are at 80, and ranged at 132. I suspected I just needed to bump all those up a bit. I was going to bug @Girlsname to see what his skills are, if he's willing to tell, to get an idea of what to expect and when.
    I took out the first one fine, he had no confusion curse. But the mobs that spawn with the second are pretty tough, and not being able to effectively kite makes me an easy target, as I keep running back into them.
    Smelling salts? I don't even bother with them. The Cabalists' confusion curse recasts so much faster than the salts' cooldown they're pointless.
    I did okay until the stupid mages showed up, casting confusion all over the place.

4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Smelling salts are indeed worthless. I'm talking about the cure poison potion, which will dispel confusion as well. ;) (or at least they did the last time I used them, Port could have changed this in the intervening time).

5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Smelling salts are for mezzes. You can also use purify to remove confusion. The problem with temna and nefario are that its an aura and just get reapplied.

Cora Cuz'avich and Mishikal like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I have my skills up pretty high now. My biggest problem is that I like to use indestructible gear. Well, not really a problem but an increased challenge. :)

Mishikal likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Smelling salts remove confusion, stun, mesmurize and knockdown.

Girlsname, Jaesun and Mishikal like this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Was not aware of that. Still, as Mac said, it's an aura, so I can't see it being any different than salts. (Which I could swear worked on Confusion as well.) It'd be nice if it also gave a short duration defense against Confusion.

Mishikal likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can also increase your chaos attunement to reduce the confusion duration.

Mishikal likes this.
  10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Never really paid much attention, but I think there are a lot of similar effects that might not necessarily react the same vs. various counters. Salts are okay vs. trolls because it works on their stomp confusion, can use while stunned or knocked down, and you won't get hit with it very frequently if you're being careful.

My primary remedy for confusion is not running. Sometimes you can do what you need to do with engage or blink or just not going anywhere.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Barugon and Mishikal like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, it's more an issue with a build that relies on mobility. But it's irritating to not have a "real" counter to the Cabalists' version of it. It's not much of a problem in sieges, since there's plenty of room to flop around, and you're not also being swamped by a ton of high level mobs.

Except the Cabalists' version rehits every few seconds, so the duration isn't that important.

Lazlo likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, there's really nothing for that except blink.

[edit] Also Gust, to keep the cabalist off of you.

StarLord likes this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think you could use engage to keep distance from stuff too, at least in a scenario like cabalists where you have a bunch of fodder mobs all over the place. It has a range of 20 at lvl 120, so you can zip to archers/mages that are pretty far away. I've never actually tried using engage that way since all of my builds are tanky spam boxes, but it seems like it could be helpful for things like that.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm not sure how well that would work. For me, anyway. It's not the cabalist I'm worried about, it's the ten or so other mobs that spawn in with him. Too much damage coming from all over, and confusion makes it hard to stay away from them. I suspect it will be different if/when I can put out enough damage to take the numbers down quickly, once it's just a few mobs and the Cabalist, it'll be more manageable.

15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Swap decks, get yourself a mage+shield setup and RoF+MeteorShower them to oblivion before changing back to your bow! No need to be specialized to still use those skills, and it will help you clear groups faster. If you want, Once you've laid your AoEs down, switch back to your bow and pluck their tiny remainder of HP out!

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

For fun, I tried to fight the spider queen. It went surprisingly well, except I couldn't damage her much faster than her regen rate, even with poison and fire dots. You're supposed to leave the babies alive, right? Her regen gets even faster or she enrages if you kill her babies? Or does she get her regen from the corpses of the previous waves, and I just have to kite around until they disappear? I can't loot them while the swarm is around, and the swarm never goes away fully. (Kinda bums me out, all that spider silk and crafting xp I'm missing out on...)

Barugon and Mac2 like this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Nevermind. I tried killing her babies. She didn't like that.

Barugon, Mac2 and Mishikal like this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Heh ya, she dont like that. you were right about your first thing with her regen and damage and speed goes up when you kill her babies. Festering poison is the one to use cuz of that regen.

19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I was still never able to get her below 30k. Festering Posion, Ignite Weapon. My crits are averaging around 300 on her (400-500 on the babies.) I'm sure that just needs to be higher. I didn't expect much, just thought it'd be fun to try.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Barugon, Mac2, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Oh ya you will need some like 600-1200 crits.

Cora Cuz'avich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.