Anyone else addicted to game and spending alot of $$$$$$$

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harry Online, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Online

Harry Online Avatar

i have spent around $500 cdn so far on SOTA in under 2 weeks and been loving it :D

Cash Shop
    Sotagoods
    ShroudMarketplace

i'm buying rare items, millions in Gold:p, etc .

by Christmas i will have spent enough money to send Richard Garriot(Lord British) back to space :)

i want to try housing...still learning...will buy 1 soon.

I have 72hrs so far in-game in under 2 weeks and i'm adventurer lvl 35 with 7 Steam achievements unlocked.

Character Name in-game: Harry TheArcher
    Steam Name: Harry The Archer
    https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198422312162/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. Lily Byrd

Lily Byrd Avatar

I enjoy playing and have in the past spent a great deal of money on SOTA. Now I'm just playing and enjoying what I have built

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ive played almost everyday I can or could since 2013. At one time early on we only got to log in a couple of days a month. Since that time I got a pledge that had property included and I've purchased things here and there through the years of things I wanted to buy.

I'm happy you are enjoying the game @Harry Online and of course purchases help further development of the game which is wonderful.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hey @Harry Online ....... If you're happy, I'm happy !
    Welcome ;)

5. Maya SaintClaire

Maya SaintClaire Avatar

Heya @Harry Online ! Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar!

Sounds like you are having a great time, and that's wonderful! Would love to hear about your experience so far. Which particular aspects of the game you like most, any really cool moments you may have had, interesting people you might have met, how you have been spending your time and all that stuff. A few people are working on player run quests and events and your insights as a new player would be invaluable to us! Anyway, we're all happy to have you aboard and look forward to meeting you and sharing some great times. Welcome Home Harry!

....and BTW.... Keep an eye on the night sky... Lord British should be returning from his latest star trek soon...

6. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia! Home ownership is great, but don't forget to get outdoors and explore the world from time to time! ;)

7. oplek

oplek Avatar

You may want to pump the brakes before you get buyer's remorse.

8. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

i just would like to specify that you can enjoy Novia without spending a $.

thats up to everyones choice

9. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Hey Harry! glad you are having fun, but consider the free lot etc you get with the story line!

10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Back in 2014, I was all like:

[​IMG]

Now in 2019:

[​IMG]

Gia2, Blackghost, Eina Stein and 15 others like this.
  11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

On my side, @Elrond has to love me, I buy gold from him only to go and buy items on his vendor, basically I'm just giving him free money lol!

12. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

I do spend more money than I probably should in this game. I have it, so it's not that big a deal. My bigger concern is that quite a few times I don't really feel I'm getting all that much value for the money that I do spend.

While I'm sure others have spent more than me, I've spent a thousand or two on this game, but my main rationale has been that I'm doing so in hopes of supporting a game to be around for awhile. But like I said, there have been a few times where I've walked away, kind of upset that I spent a hundred or so here and there and didn't really feel like I got much out of the deal. Yeah, it's on me, but I have no one to blame but myself.

My bigger concerns (rather than money) is that sometimes the game just becomes frustrating for me in difficulty. I'm not one of those super powerful players in the game, but one of those who tends to struggle through practically everything. Just recently, I started moving up in tiers, and it was a huge thing for me to go from tier two to three. Recently, I've been trying to make the move from tier 3 to 4, and it was going fine before I started to find myself being ganked by swarms of enemies that I couldn't handle. And it kept happening until I gave up on tier 4 completely. Back to tier 3 where I barrel through everything without a second thought. But can't move into tier 4 without instant death. That's usually about the time that I just quit and find another game.

So, that's where it gets frustrating for me, and I apologize if you read this little rant. It's been bugging me a lot the last couple of days cause I really want to keep enjoying this game.

13. Maya SaintClaire

Maya SaintClaire Avatar

14. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

Hi Harry!

Given the places you are buying items from, it seems like you are being very selective about what you are buying, which is excellent. Here's a resource for you if you don't already know about it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Ywxdr-Gz8NfhIEAxoMMebFRDw/edit#gid=1917241776

It's the "Shroud of the Avatar Guide to Collectibles and Rares" -- navigate using the tabs at the bottom of the Spreadsheet. There are thousands of rare and collectible items in Shroud; and thousands more crafted, merchant purchasable, and in-scene items.

It's mind boggling how many toys we have in the sandbox right now. :D

Sincerely,

Engineer

15. Maya SaintClaire

Maya SaintClaire Avatar

Hey @sarbonn ! I feel your pain, I have had similar experiences and so has my dad who also started here the same time I did. He experienced exactly what you are saying and his solution was to buy some armor and weapons with high strength buffs, set up strength buffs in food, started using Strength of the Earth and even some jewelry that added strength and it changed his whole game. Now I realize dad and I don't have a clue how the deck system works,, which skills are viable and which aren't, what the best templates are, etc, etc, etc.... BUT, he did have great luck by increasing his strength (and therefore life and the power of his hits). He went from Serpents Spine to Deep Ravenswood instantly and within a couple of hours there he was able to dramatically increase his skills and now feels a lot better about his progress.

Don't get discouraged Sarbonn, you are not alone. Lots of us here echo how you feel about trying to move up the food chain here :D FIGHT ON BROTHER!

...and BTW I think you should post this as a separate thread and I bet a lot of great players would add tons of much better advice than I can.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  16. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

17. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I think you should try some other T3 or T4 scenes as not all scenes of the same tier are equally difficult. As far as I recognized there are small differences between the scenes and so to say you may have played so far in a T3.2 area and stepped into T4.8 area. ;)

Oh and welcome @Harry Online !

18. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I play the game nearly every day. But I can stop at any time. I'm not addicted. Oh wait!

;-)

19. oplek

oplek Avatar

Eastreach Gap may be one of the easiest Tier-5 zones, which I could do fine. Then, I'd go into Brittany Sewers, I think it was, which was a Tier 3, and they'd mop the floor with me. Then one release, they cranked up the rating to Tier-5.

The problem is that they manually set these things, instead of doing some kind of dynamic calculation. A lot of the game is like this. There's a lot that's "baked" into the scenes themselves instead of being database driven... so if one dev goes in and makes some spawns more difficult, it doesn't always dawn on them to skewer another skull on top of the pike outside. It's also a manual assesment, which can vary from dev to dev, and from build to build.

And if the scenes had some static API information about spawns, etc, the community *might* be able to make a tool to help assess things. If only all that information was database driven, or exported for people somehow.

20. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Enjoy the ride and it’s addictive qualities @Harry Online. I started with a $45.00 pledge back in May 2016 and earned enough gold to buy my POT City Water Lot, Pirate Galleon with the proceeds from mining. So I am addicted and making money “Grins”, at least until Chris gives us what we need to continue with our RP based massive player run battles.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever

Harry Online, Jaesun, K1000 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.